smoking cigarettes

Phycha62

I was recently baptised back in January. I quit smoking and drinking coffee  and had quit for 80 + days. I have 2 roomates who smoke and friends who smoke. For some unknown reason our house seems to be the smoking spot. Will I get kicked out of the church for smoking?

I was recently baptised back in January. I quit smoking and drinking coffee  and had quit for 80 + days. I have 2 roomates who smoke and friends who smoke. For some unknown reason our house seems to be the smoking spot. Will I get kicked out of the church for smoking?

No, but don't view a relapse as a failure to quit.  It's just a setback.  Keep at it.  Try a good quality ecig if being around smoke is too much of a trigger to deal with.  Grab a small bottle of no-nicotine juice (no tobacco products at all) and see if just satisfying the habit works.  If not, then the nicotine juice at any decent vape shop is available in small increments so you can tone it down weekly until you're just dealing with the habit instead of the addiction.

Change your attitude.

Those things are poisen and should be avoided.  They are a waste of money.  Take the right attitude toward smoking, and you will soon want to avoid them.

It is one of the worst health deficits you could suffer.  They smell horrible, and leave a horrible smell anywhere you smoke, and on your clothes.

You will be very happy, and your health will improve greatly when you get those things out of your life.

Not smoking is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself.

dc

Guest MormonGator

Relax my friend. You are still a member in good standing. We all have bad habits and, in the immortal words of my old bishop "We are all sinners here". 

Do NOT let anyone make you feel like less of person because you sin differently then they do. 

Of course you should try to avoid cigarettes-they are nasty. I used to smoke them too. 

God bless you! 

Was a smoker once upon a time. It can be a trying habit to kick. That said, it's possible, but don't let relapses bring you down. It's helpful to surround yourself with support, but if that's not in the cards, make a game plan. There's plentiful quit-smoking resources out there. Even your doctor can help recommend something for you - if Chantix is no longer an option - consider new options. Btw, no LDS is perfect, and most people understand that converts are making lifestyle changes (no coffee/tea, etc.). The WOW was a tough one for me, but I figured it out, eventually :)

• 2 weeks later...

Smoking is a very hard habit to quit. I have been smoke free for almost a year now (which sounds crazy when I think of it that way) and I remember the first few months being hard. I only smoked two cigarettes a day: one on the way to work and one on the way home, and I STILL find myself in situations where the craving is intense.

It's hard, but it's not impossible. Sometimes I joke that being around friends who smoke is "second hand therapy," but I know how challenging it can be. The thing that helps me most is thinking about how much healthier I feel, how much more in control of myself I feel when I say no, and looking at where I was at that point in my life compared to where I am today. When you make sacrifices and commit to your covenants, there are so many rich blessings that will be poured out upon you.

We are imperfect mortals. The things with which I struggle are different from others, as we are all unique. Remember that your local authorities love you and care for you and want to help you. Remember that your Heavenly Father loves you and cares for you and wants the best for you. Turn to them for their love and support. Ask for a priesthood blessing of comfort to help you as you go through this trial, if you feel it would be beneficial to you. Know that you have friends here, even though we are miles away, who support you and are willing to listen. You can do this!

Relax my friend. You are still a member in good standing. We all have bad habits and, in the immortal words of my old bishop "We are all sinners here". 

Do NOT let anyone make you feel like less of person because you sin differently then they do. 

Of course you should try to avoid cigarettes-they are nasty. I used to smoke them too. 

God bless you! 

When you say member in good standing....maybe you should clarify. Not keeping the word of wsdom can keep you from taking the sacrament and from holding a Temple recommend.

Edited by bytor2112

When you say member in good standing....maybe you should clarify. Not keeping the word of wsdom can keep you from taking the sacrament and from holding a Temple recommend.

don't be so quick to judge that it blinds you!

Maybe try reading the OP's post more thoroughly as he never stated that he relapsed. So yes he is still a member in good standing.

* sorry, don't mean to be so defensive but after years of seeing this type of behavior in our LDS culture and its recent affect on my immediate family members I decide to be more outspoken.  

Maybe try reading the OP's post more thoroughly as he never stated that he relapsed. So yes he is still a member in good standing.

* sorry, don't mean to be so defensive but after years of seeing this type of behavior in our LDS culture and its recent affect on my immediate family members I decide to be more outspoken.  

What an ironic first sentence.

If you read the OP's first post, he states he 'had' quit for 80+ days and then asked if he would get kicked out for smoking.  If he is not currently smoking, why ask the question?  It could reasonably be read as he had successfully quit for x amount of time - as in 'had', past-tense - and was now smoking again.

Again, why ask about getting kicked out for smoking if he is not smoking again?  Is he planning on starting and wants assurance that it's okay to smoke - violate the Word of Wisdom?

As for his standing in the church - that is not up to you or me to judge.  Bytor was trying to be helpful, not judgmental, in cautioning the OP that violating the Word of Wisdom can potentially create an issue - such as not being able to hold a temple recommend as he mentioned.

He was trying to prevent a disservice being done to the OP by a random stranger on the internet who has no real knowledge of, or stewardship over the OP.  You could very well do more harm than good by your response.

The right place to go for an answer to his question would be to his bishop.  And I would venture to guess that the bishop would be able to help him on a larger basis than just whether or not he is currently smoking.

Guest LiterateParakeet

If you read the OP's first post, he states he 'had' quit for 80+ days and then asked if he would get kicked out for smoking.  If he is not currently smoking, why ask the question?  It could reasonably be read as he had successfully quit for x amount of time - as in 'had', past-tense - and was now smoking again.

I think it could be read either way.  He also mentioned that he has roommates and friends who smoke, and perhaps he is worried that someone will smell smoke on him and assume he is smoking.

When I was in high school, my seminary teacher asked me if my parents smoked and I said yes.  He just said, oh.   My sense of smell is limited so I didn't even understand the question until much later.  

Posted (edited) · Hidden by estradling75, June 11, 2015 - Profainity
Hidden by estradling75, June 11, 2015 - Profainity

What an ironic first sentence.

Again, why ask about getting kicked out for smoking if he is not smoking again?  Is he planning on starting and wants assurance that it's okay to smoke - violate the Word of Wisdom?

As for his standing in the church - that is not up to you or me to judge.  Bytor was trying to be helpful, not judgmental, in cautioning the OP that violating the Word of Wisdom can potentially create an issue - such as not being able to hold a temple recommend as he mentioned.

He was trying to prevent a disservice being done to the OP by a random stranger on the internet who has no real knowledge of, or stewardship over the OP.  You could very well do more harm than good by your response.

The right place to go for an answer to his question would be to his bishop.  And I would venture to guess that the bishop would be able to help him on a larger basis than just whether or not he is currently smoking.

Do you always read between the lines to come to your own conclusions? In his post he CLEARLY DOES NOT mention having a relapse. Assuming makes a u know what out of u know who!!

I had an apple for breakfast, does that mean im eating an apple right now?

If anything MG words of encouragement is way more helpful then the gloom and doom under tones that exist in some posts. Although I prefer having a good balance of both.

Edited by priesthoodpower
Posted · Hidden by estradling75, June 11, 2015 - Profainity

Do you always read between the lines to come to your own conclusions? In his post he CLEARLY DOES NOT mention having a relapse. Assuming makes a u know what out of u know who!!

I had an apple for breakfast, does that mean im eating an apple right now?

If anything MG words of encouragement is way more helpful then the gloom and doom under tones that exist in some posts.

Once again, your first sentence is hugely ironic.

And why the over-reaction to benign posts?

The point that you seem to be unable to grasp is that it is not for us to judge this man's standing.  We don't know the whole situation.  The post could be read in more than one way.    If he is not smoking, why is worried about if he would be kicked out of the church for smoking?  If that is the question he is asking, then there are still issues to address to help the young man out. 

People making an assumption that he is worried about getting kicked because of smelling like cigarettes because his roommates smoked is also just that...an assumption.  And a stretch at that.  If that is his concern (and he did not say that it was), then he still needs to speak to his bishop for reassurance and guidance.  Living with smokers is not going to get kicked out and if he has somehow come to that erroneous conclusion, he needs to be reassured.

Any "gloom and doom" you perceive here exists only in your imagination.

As for any reading between the lines....please read his last sentence, which is a very straightforward question.   People have been responding to that very clear question.  Is there something wrong with that?  Should we ignore that question? He asked and it was answered and it was answered with honesty and his welfare in mind. No one told him he would be kicked out, which seems to be his main concern.  But to flippantly tell him that violating the Word of Wisdom won't cause ANY problems is doing more harm than good.  He needs to understand fully the choices he makes.  Whether it's smoking or something else.  And that understanding  is not going to come from strangers on the internet.

It's funny that you are having a conniption over "reading between the lines" when you clearly used that device to call me an ass in your post.  How ironic.

Posted · Hidden by estradling75, June 11, 2015 - Profainity

It's funny that you are having a conniption over "reading between the lines" when you clearly used that device to call me an ass in your post.  How ironic.

You just called yourself that! I never said it! lol

The OP states that he had quit for 80 + days and was baptized in January...it is now May 29 (day of posting), so, it sounds to me like maybe he has been smoking again. My post isn't a judgement, it is merely clarifying that IF he  or anyne else smokes it could keep them from the sacrament and from a Temple recommend. 

Edited by bytor2112

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all....I am the one who posted the original question to the group as a whole. And, I am the one who did start smoking again. I do have an appt with my doc and am going to try to quit again.  I thank you for your opinions and I will accept my punishment  with great humility I was doing well and can do well again.

Hello all....I am the one who posted the original question to the group as a whole. And, I am the one who did start smoking again. I do have an appt with my doc and am going to try to quit again.  I thank you for your opinions and I will accept my punishment  with great humility I was doing well and can do well again.

You know, it can certainly feel like a punishment, but Heavenly Father would never want us to think of repentance as a punishment. Rather, it is an opportunity for us to realize our weaknesses, take those things to the Lord in humility, and to sacrifice up the natural man in us to become better. Heavenly Father created each of us in His image, and He knows each of us. Which means, Heavenly Father knows that this addiction is a weakness for you. One of my favorite verses of scripture right now is Ether 12:26-27, you should go check it out! Chin up, and never forget you are a child of God! There's very little (or anything, possibly) more important in the world than that fact.