Do you feel positive, neutral or negative about Evangelicals?

I just read a Christianity Today article highlighting Canada's relationship with its evangelicals--including how evangelicals feel about LBGT issues and abortion.  Overall, I'm guessing we track similarly to LDS.  We don't approve of abortion or same-sex marriage, though many of us "accept" them (tolerate?). 

Given those social issue agreements, and our general cultural similarities (we're out of step with mainstream culture), I found the attitudes of other religions towards Evangelicals a bit surprising.

Here's the quote:  A composite score calculated by subtracting “negative” views from “positive” views gave an interesting picture of how evangelicals are viewed by people of other faiths.

Roman Catholics have the most favorable view of evangelicals in Canada with a score of +34.

Evangelicals like themselves a lot, amassing a score of +69.

The groups that are the least enthusiastic about evangelicals are atheists with a score of -50, followed closely by Muslims at -41 and Mormons at -37.

Yikes.  I'm guessing we've not done a good job of loving our neighbors.  Do you think LDS would fair better with atheists and Muslims?  Evangelicals?

I just don't pay much attention to these things. There's so many folks that DON'T contribute their input, and therefore, their feelings are not accounted for. I'm atheist and I get along with my LDS family, friends, and neighbours just fine. Maybe that's because they knew me as a member first, I don't know, but I haven't noticed a difference in treatment at all.

As for my view towards Evangelists, I don't know much about them. As long as people are kind and tactful, I tend to get along with them well enough, and if they're not - I zone out and give them little to no fuel to burn.

I'm guessing that a good portion of the atheist negativity is due to political battles over the place of religion in the public square.  Evangelicals largely believe that our Judeo-Christian heritage should be celebrated, rather than diminished.  Activists groups seem bent on moving us towards a French style secularism.  Muslims believe, with some evidence, that Evangelicals used 9/11 to unfairly say Islam is wrong and hateful.  Of course, many of the groups working to turn LDS away from their faith are Evangelical.  So, while sad, the poll results are not totally surprising.

I am going to admit my ignorance here, and ask what sects qualify as evangelical?

Honestly, there are only 2 churches I have negative feelings toward: Baptists and Nazarenes. That's because, where I live at least, those are the two groups that are openly hostile toward Mormons. I've experienced it firsthand in my neighbors (and Baptist family members, who love us and regret that we're going to Hell, LOL), and I've had LDS family and friends very clearly been denied jobs from Nazarene employers, though they could never prove the discrimination, so they/we just have to take it and move on.

I have nothing but respect for those who are earnestly trying to follow Christ and love God and their fellow man. I have a special respect and fondness for a couple I grew up with who are Episcopalian and really live and love their religion. We've had some great discussions that come from a place of love and respect, and mostly mutual love for our Savior. I adore these people. . . they are just salt of the Earth, good people.

Anyway, I hope this comment is of some use to you at all, since again, I'm ignorant on classifications.

When I talk with PC, I feel quite positive about Evangelicals and Evangelical Christianity. When I talk to other Evangelicals, I find much to agree about and even feel brotherhood, until the topic of religion arises and I start being lectured on my cubicle in hell that awaits me, at which time my feelings become somewhat more negative.

I've shared my experiences before and honestly I prefer to interacting with "any of the above" including atheist to evangelicals.

If I needed help they would be the last neighbor I would go to for assistance and I would have concerns if my son were going to a friends house whose family is evangelical because of concerns he would get bullied.

The most friendly towards LDS I've felt were Catholics.

Guest MormonGator

Very positive. I view them as brothers and sisters in Christ. 

I know they view LDS as non Christian but I don't let their bias effect my views of them. 

Edited by MormonGator

PC, surely you know that we consider all churches but ours the church of the devil.

:evilbanana:  :guilty:

Mwah ha ha ha ha hah!

If we're trafficking in this line of reasoning, then I'm assuming we're not so bad.  After, wasn't the devil Jesus' brother????

:::ker snicker...ker snicker....ker snicker:::  :P

I am going to admit my ignorance here, and ask what sects qualify as evangelical?

Honestly, there are only 2 churches I have negative feelings toward: Baptists and Nazarenes.

Baptists tend to consider themselves--well-Baptists.  The Southern Baptist Convention is some 17 million strong, whereas all the churches of the National Association of Evangelicals make up roughly 6 million.  Nevertheless, in belief, most Baptists are evangelical.  Nazarenes are too.  Assemblies of God.  Most denominations that have the word "Evangelical" in their name.  Most non-denominational churches.  Special note, most Pentecostals are evangelical, but less than half of evangelicals are Pentecostal. 

Overall I have positive feelings towards evangelicals. Of course it depends on who you call evangelical. My Methodist grandparents have been nothing but supportive of my relationship with Christ, whether I am LDS or not. My Presbyterian friend has also been very supportive. I know that Methodists and Presbyterians are technically mainline, but these people consider themselves to be evangelical. I have also received friendship and support from Assemblies of God, and not just PC. There is one AG minister who used to come to my ward and praise Mormons for their relationship with Christ and admonish them to pray for the gift of tongues. Fair enough!

The only real hostility I have ever felt from evangelicals is from Southern Baptists, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the church in Texas is primarily composed of former Baptists.

I was going to say take a look at this graph

PF_14.07.16_interreligiousRelations_ALL.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/07/16/u-s-evangelical-christians-are-chilly-toward-atheists-and-the-feeling-is-mutual/

But then I realized, Mormon opinions weren't accounted for in the study. My feelings aren't negative for in person interaction, haven't interacted with any self declared evangelicals. The one's I know about are nice enough people.

Online is a bit of a different story. (Though I get the feeling a good portion of the time people may not exactly be who they say they are.)

For me the answer would be "it depends".

I am guessing for most people, their exposure to evangelicals - or people who identify as such - has been to (what I would consider) the more extreme end of the spectrum.  The you're-evil-and-sinful-and-going-to-hell-holier-than-thou kind of evangelical.  That kind of religious practice (or whatever you want to call it) is a huge turn-off for me.  Especially being Jewish, I would run the other direction. 

That was a large factor in my initial reaction to having a member of the LDS church share their testimony with me and invite me to read the Book of Mormon and come to church.  I immediately reacted negatively.  I felt angry, insulted, and a host of other negative feelings.  I thought they were nuts.

Obviously, my feelings changed. :)

Maybe when Mormons say they have had bad experiences with Evangelicals they really mean Fundamentalists?

Historically, Evangelicalism was born out of Fundamentalism, roughly in the early 1940s.  They wanted to maintain fundamental doctrine and belief in the Bible, but wished to engage--rather than confront--the culture.  Fundamentalists despised them as sell-outs, saying they'd gone liberal.

So...there is certainly something to what you suggest here.  Ironically, Some Presbyterians/Methodists would be evangelical, and some Assemblies of God/Nazarene/Baptists would track more as Fundamentalists.  So, there is some blurriness between very conservative evangelicalism and moderate fundamentalism. 

Historically, Evangelicalism was born out of Fundamentalism, roughly in the early 1940s.  They wanted to maintain fundamental doctrine and belief in the Bible, but wished to engage--rather than confront--the culture.  Fundamentalists despised them as sell-outs, saying they'd gone liberal.

So...there is certainly something to what you suggest here.  Ironically, Some Presbyterians/Methodists would be evangelical, and some Assemblies of God/Nazarene/Baptists would track more as Fundamentalists.  So, there is some blurriness between very conservative evangelicalism and moderate fundamentalism. 

This is both an interesting and confusing thread for me – especially because our friend Prison Chaplain started it.  It is my understanding that the center of the Evangelical movement is – of course – the Bible, and the authority of the Bible as the “only” “true” representation and definition of Christ to mankind.   From my understanding of how Evangelicals are inclusive of Biblical scripture and in essence exclusive of anything else – I cannot imagine any more divide existing in any two religions other than in the origin of premise of the Evangelical movement centered on ancient Biblical manuscripts - only and the LDS origin of divine revelation – specifically needed to correct Biblical errors.

I have always been astonished that PC keeps finding things deep in our cultures that are so alike – well that it is scary alike.   Because of my rhetorical-logical scientific background it amazes me not just that he does this – but that he does it so often.  PC you are a grand enigma that always astonishes and surprises me – for the good.

In my work world – I deal mostly with agnostics and atheists.  The vast majority of these individuals that have any kind of previous religious experience, come from an Evangelical background.  For the most part and generally speaking I get along with the agnostics and atheists much better than Evangelicals.  There are always exceptions – in the work place if an individual has some scientific training (math and physics) – I seem to have no problem.  But the evangelicals that do not have any rhetorical training are the most difficult of all religious demographics for me to find any common ground.

Mostly I get along with Buddhist the best, followed by Muslims generally the Shia better than the Sunni.  Then come the Jews, Hindu and Eastern Christians – hmmmmm perhaps I would even put the Nestorian Christians a head of the Muslims.  Somewhere in here I would also place Shinto – but a Shinto that is Samurai – seems to have this G-d complex thing going on.  Catholics and Protestants sort of follow but for me Evangelicals are the most difficult of all religious types to deal with – even more difficult than hard core sharia law Muslims – but then there is PC, the great exception that turns everything upside down in my world.

I convinced there was a compliment in Traveler's last post for me.  Sola scriptura is largely true for Evangelicals, but completely true for Fundamentalists.  Remember that Pentecostals believe that through various gifts of the Holy Spirit--especially prophesy, and the gift of interpreting tongues, we can receive a kind of modern revelation.  Such messages do not supersede the Bible,  Rather, they tend to be local admonitions, for the given time.  Also, Evangelicals, again rooted in our desire to engage culture (and different religions), rather than combat them, should be less prone to "Bible thumping."  Nevertheless, those fundamentalists roots sometimes come out--especially when--as Traveler intimated--we feel outgunned intellectually.  Then the, "Well, the Bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it" 'tude comes out. 

I convinced there was a compliment in Traveler's last post for me.  Sola scriptura is largely true for Evangelicals, but completely true for Fundamentalists.  Remember that Pentecostals believe that through various gifts of the Holy Spirit--especially prophesy, and the gift of interpreting tongues, we can receive a kind of modern revelation.  Such messages do not supersede the Bible,  Rather, they tend to be local admonitions, for the given time.  Also, Evangelicals, again rooted in our desire to engage culture (and different religions), rather than combat them, should be less prone to "Bible thumping."  Nevertheless, those fundamentalists roots sometimes come out--especially when--as Traveler intimated--we feel outgunned intellectually.  Then the, "Well, the Bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it" 'tude comes out. 

Some day - you and I, PC, are going to have to sit down and drill deep into some ideas you express - that I find so profoundly interesting.  Your statement "desire to engage culture (and different religions)" may not mean to you the same as it resonates with me.  To me, to engage, is a full bidirectional exchange - with emphasis on both sending and receiving.   And as a side note - bidirectional exchanges are less secure and therefore of greater risk.

Robert Millet (BYU) and Greg Johnson (Evangelical minister) engage each other.  Is either open to converting?  I doubt they'd admit to that.  So, are the really bidirectional?  I think so.  They ask questions, they clarify, they share life.  They surely hope to convert each other, on some level.  Nevertheless, trusting the Holy Spirit, and both believing in free will/agency (I know there are some differences), they love each other, and allow God to do his thing.  Basically, they are Christian towards each other.  It's a great model.

Honestly, there are only 2 churches I have negative feelings toward: Baptists and Nazarenes. That's because, where I live at least, those are the two groups that are openly hostile toward Mormons. I've experienced it firsthand in my neighbors (and Baptist family members, who love us and regret that we're going to Hell, LOL), and I've had LDS family and friends very clearly been denied jobs from Nazarene employers, though they could never prove the discrimination, so they/we just have to take it and move on.

I have nothing but respect for those who are earnestly trying to follow Christ and love God and their fellow man. I have a special respect and fondness for a couple I grew up with who are Episcopalian and really live and love their religion. We've had some great discussions that come from a place of love and respect, and mostly mutual love for our Savior. I adore these people. . . they are just salt of the Earth, good people.

Anyway, I hope this comment is of some use to you at all, since again, I'm ignorant on classifications.

I can agree with what you are saying. In the southern part of Missouri where I live we are in a touch of the Bible Belt. We have lots of Baptists here .... We have first baptists and free will and fellowship free will Baptists. Anyway ....I have seen the same type things happen here that you describe ..... Even at the School District level. It's truly amazing.

Baptists are a branch of evangelists? Might be getting confused. I have met Baptists and one in particular, was very opinionated, and quite loud about her convictions. This was at a luncheon with mostly Mormons. I thought she was a little brash but I didn't dislike her.

The only negative I feel is being told I'm going to the hot land down under. They don't seem to understand that that condemnation is offensive. I also don't relate very well to the verbage used.  But I admire their faith and absolute dependence on God.

One thing that really bugs me is a few LDS friends I have who have adopted the lingo of Evangelists and praise the Lord all over the place on facebook and Instagram.  I've talked with one of these ladies and her attitude is very much that we're too reserved in our praise of Jesus in the Mormon church ( which I disagree with). She spent many growing up years in Utah and despises the church there. Said she went inactive while she lived there, but reactivated in MN. She is very critical of anything Utah Mormonish.  She wears a cross and follows women pastors in Evangelists faiths in what feels like an attitude of "the Mormons (even though she is one) just aren't good enough for me". It feels like the same attitude of some homeschoolers towards public school families.