New Convert to the church not feeling wanted or welcomed

LadyHanley93

Hello all my name is Liz and I am a convert that was baptized on June 7th. Well today is June 7th and is my one year anniversary being a memory I am away on a college trip for class credit 450 miles away. No one in my ysa ward called or texted me to wish me a happy anniversary. How do I explain my ward is full of people that are naive and unthoughtful. I suffer from depression and ptsd and I feel very unloved. I have a heartbreaking past and I am trying to heal from it. The question is it time to leave the lds church considering I am not perfect?

Today was the birthday of one of my closest friends, and if not for Facebook, I would have missed it! It's a special day to you and should be celebrated, but I think it's a bit much to ask that others remember the exact date, especially from  a distance. Ask for what you want! Celebrate yourself! Say, "Hey, I was baptized a year ago today!" and I bet people will be excited for you. Another of my dear friends always shares with me when her baptism anniversary comes around, and I'm always happy for her. But I'd never remember it on my own.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time right now. In answer to your question about leaving due to imperfection the answer has to be no. No one in the church is perfect..... the only reason to leave the church that I can think of is if you determine it to be untrue, any other reason doesn't hold up in my opinion (which you may not care for, but it seems to me like you solicited feedback from strangers so here I am sharing my thoughts).

Now should you be reconsidering whether or not the church is true let me share my simple testimony that I believe it is true.I believe the Saviour loves you and wants you to partake of the joy of the gospel, and I'm willing to bet there are members in your ward who care a great deal about you as well. My birthday is often forgotten if I don't remind people and I'm just as guilty of forgetting others' b-days too (except my wife's as that is an unforgivable sin :) ) 

Edited by SpiritDragon

Guest LiterateParakeet

Hello all my name is Liz and I am a convert that was baptized on June 7th. Well today is June 7th and is my one year anniversary being a memory I am away on a college trip for class credit 450 miles away. No one in my ysa ward called or texted me to wish me a happy anniversary. How do I explain my ward is full of people that are naive and unthoughtful. I suffer from depression and ptsd and I feel very unloved. I have a heartbreaking past and I am trying to heal from it. The question is it time to leave the lds church considering I am not perfect?

I'm so sorry you are hurting.  I have PTSD and have suffered from depression (to the point of being suicidal), so I understand.  I really do.  For various reasons, I almost stopped attending church during the deepest part of my depression also....but I'm so grateful I didn't.

LadyHandley, happy anniversary!  I'm sorry you are feeling hurt and unloved right now.  I want you to know the Lord loves you, and He is the reason that you need to keep attending church.  He understands your loneliness and pain, because He has felt them.  When you feel like no one understands, He does.

Looking back, I can see now that much of the frustration I felt with church members was really me projecting feelings from my past onto my current life.  It is a normal thing (though not healthy) to do this.  Therapy is helping me learn to stop judging the present by the past.

Hold on.  Keep attending church.  Send me a PM if you would like to talk more.  

Here's a tip...

Life is so much easier and much more fulfilling (and can probably even help you with your depression) if you forget about who remembers your baptism date and concentrate 100% of your energy on remembering other people's baptism dates.

And about leaving the church because you're not perfect... the more imperfect you are, the more you need church. Church is not for those who are already in the celestial kingdom. Church is for all those sinful people, struggling, failing, falling, and needing Jesus Christ's atonement on their path to repentance and joy.

You are just not doing it right at all.

You have to get out there more and make friends.

Months before my birth birthdate comes up, I start making regular reminders of the date to friends, and repeat the date and the age several times, and make some comments about what I want as presents, etc.

Then I ask about their birthdate which if I already know, I comment about.

I then talk about the best birthday gifts and what I might, might I say like as a present.

Just as a suggestion.  No real request, you have to be real subtle here, just a hint, you see.

I then regularly repeat all that perhaps weekly and then the day or two before my birthday.

I always get what I want and have a party or not as I have requested.

Don't forget to be all surprised and act like you had no idea they would go to all the trouble and thank them profusely.

Also, very important, be there for the other birthdays (of the other people), ask them what they want, ask them if they want a party, ask them who to invite, etc.

I have to comment about my baptism.  Where did all those people come from?  It was packed.  It seems like half the stake was there.  Refreshments of a dozen varieties, beverages I couldn't believe it.

Wow.

dc

Edited by David13

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you have to deal with depression and other issues. I would encourage you not to make too much about people missing your baptism anniversary. I don't even remember my children's baptismal dates, and it was only a handful of years ago (and my daughter was even a teenage convert). They're not offended, because they know hey are loved.

If you're measuring someone's love by whether they remember a date or not (which is certainly a very important day), I'd suggest focusing the effort instead on trying to be of service to those around you. Try praying for charity for those around you. As to being imperfect, that's all the more reason to stay with the church. It's a great testing ground for us to peel away the imperfections.

I look forward to your contributions to the forum.

Regards,

Hagoth