When does a man's spirit leave the body?

My friends and I had a discussion the other day about when the spirit leaves the body near death.

I claimed that the definition of death in the scriptures is separation of the spirit and body. The spirit would only leave for the spirit world if the body died. 

Some argued that what if a person went into a vegetative state where machines were literally the only thing keeping them alive? God knows, everyone knows, that that person would never wake up or do anything. Would it be fair for that persons spirit to be "trapped" in that body? The body isn't dead yet, but is only so because of machines. Would God let a spirit be trapped and not really progress in a body on life support, for months, even years?

They said the spirit would leave and go to the spirit world and progress. That is what a merciful God would do.

I still believe that the spirit wouldn't leave the body until it is "dead".

Any thoughts?

That is what I said. Is 5 years being in that state that much? Spirits in prison can be there for thousands of years... Gods time is vastly different. But they claimed the spirits in prison can at least progress somewhat. I said what about a man who lives with alzheimer's for 5 years before he dies. He isn't progressing much and can't even recognize his children. Why would God let that happen? Trials happen sadly and it is apart of this life.

When does a man's spirit leave the body?

If you're lucky, it waits until the honeymoon is over.  More often though, it's right at the start of the wedding ceremony.

Or is that not what you meant?   :D

But think about how many people have gone beyond the vegetative state to clinically and undeniably dead for some short time and then were revived with a clear and strong memory of some significant occurrence.  Possibly, the veil is simply thinned for them, so that they can communicate more clearly with those who have gone before.  Possibly, they actually left and came back.  Possibly they just hallucinated due to the oxygen deprived brain.  I've seen similar with people who were fully conscious near death, and knew things they could not have known by any normal means, (such as a close friend who had passed away just minutes before in another town and no one present knew yet) so I'm inclined to disregard the last possibility in at least some cases.

Edited by NightSG

Isnt it a punishment for the 3rd of hosts that followed satan to never have the opportunity to receive a body? So a human body is so desirable that they only wish they had one and take every chance to posses one?

Isnt it also true that the spirits in the spirit world cannot do their own temple work and baptisms so it needs to be done by proxy here on earth by someone with a body?

given that understanding I would imagine that our spirits would try to stay in the body for as long as they possibly can.

10 years ago I lived in a condo complex that had a daily yard service crew. these guys were a bunch of rough looking fellas that match every description of what a yard service crew would look like. I became friends with one of those workers. I moved out of that place and 5 years later randomly ran into this worker at a store. It was a happy reunion of sorts as we were glad to see each other. He lifted up his shirt and showed me a long scar across his chest, he said he died.

I said "you what!"

he said "I died a year ago...got food poisoning and collapsed while at work, ambulance took me to the hospital and I was watching the doctors operate on my body. I turned around to leave the room but I saw my cousin (whom was already deceased). I couldnt see my cousins face because he had his back turned to me, but he said 'go back!', so I went back to the room and woke up in the hospital bed."

My interpretation of his story was that the deceased cousin realized that he still had a chance at life in his body so he told him to go back to his body, also that the cousin realizes that as a spirit there are limitations and there are things that only the body can do and its all related to the plan of salvation and our Saviours gospel plan.

Last June...June 20th to be precise at about 5:30 A.M, I had a massive heart attack and went into cardiac arrest in the E.R. The doctor and medical team were able to bring me back after a couple minutes or so....thankfully. 

As I lay on the table in horrible pain, I felt my spirit leaving my body. I told my wife I was sorry and was dying and then looked around the room and said I am going...and off I went. 

I also saw...me....as I "rushed" back into my body. For the next several minutes my wife said I kept asking what had happened to the music and as they rolled me to the cath lab, I was very much at peace and thought only of the music. Thankfully the cardiologist, who was working frantically, was able to open the blocked artery. He told me I had maybe 10 minutes left to live after they revived me.

My spirit left my body. DId it go to Paradise? Dunno. I think somewhere in between as it wasn't my time.

Edited by bytor2112

My friends and I had a discussion the other day about when the spirit leaves the body near death.

I claimed that the definition of death in the scriptures is separation of the spirit and body. The spirit would only leave for the spirit world if the body died. 

Some argued that what if a person went into a vegetative state where machines were literally the only thing keeping them alive? God knows, everyone knows, that that person would never wake up or do anything. Would it be fair for that persons spirit to be "trapped" in that body? The body isn't dead yet, but is only so because of machines. Would God let a spirit be trapped and not really progress in a body on life support, for months, even years?

They said the spirit would leave and go to the spirit world and progress. That is what a merciful God would do.

I still believe that the spirit wouldn't leave the body until it is "dead".

Any thoughts?

no clue. And it's not really explained in detail in scriptures, and science has absolutely no clue as to what a spirit might be.

many NDEs lead me to believe that the spirit is not present inside the body for many of those cases.  The body is a vessel, if we are commanded to take it up again by God then it will be restored to such a state so as to be able to be joined with a spirit again.

If the body is kept "alive" by machines, does that necessarily mean the spirit is still in the body?  What if you are keeping a soulless body running for years for no reason whatsoever?  Just because a body can function does not mean there is a spirit within it.  If the brain is dead, perhaps that is a signal that the spirit has left?