First off - What a great thread - Thanks Folk Prophet.

I find it interesting that there was a time when the covenant saints of G-d could not agree (have unity) on what to call G-d's church through which they obtained their covenants.  What I find interesting is that Jesus did two things.  First he said the name should be after G-d or in essence the Church of Jesus Christ.  But then he did something most interesting.  He chastised those saints that were right for being contentious.

I will suggest to the forum that there are two different problems with unity and each problem requires a very different resolution or response.

The first problem to unity:  What to do with the rebellious the sow the seeds of disunity.  They are wrong - it can be proven and shown but they insist in rebellion.  How can we bring unity in the face of such opposition?

The second problem to unity:  What to do about those that are right and demand justice without any sense of mercy.  They are right and know they are right and do not care who or how they offend.  How to deal with the unmerciful?

I suggest that the two problems of unity have existed since "The Beginning".  I suggest that G-d has given a plan for unity or to become one.  We have discussed the "Hive Mind".  It is my honest belief that there are more than two ingredients in the recipe for unity (G-d plan for unity).  Certainly there is more than one ingredient in G-d's plan.

Trying to dispute over the first or most important ingredient for whatever reason is obviously not working or will ever work.  Likewise - leaving out any ingredient, regardless of how small or minor will still result in failure to one degree or another.

Being right is the most odd ingredient to my understanding.  It is the one ingredient we want to argue over the most.  But being wrong (or as according to the plan of G-d to be so wrong that we are fallen) is actually an ingredient in G-d's plan.  Please do not screw this up.  Being wrong is not the desired achievement.  It is the repentance or being able to overcome being wrong that is the essential and important ingredient. 

If unity is about removing those that have wronged - then there is no possibility for unity and everyone will end up standing alone.

It may be well for some of us participating in this forum to occasionally remember and follow what Elder Hales' said  during the Sunday afternoon session of General Conference last April.

No one should be criticized, persecuted, or attacked by individuals, or governments either, for what he or she believes about God. It is very personal and very important.