Good cops

Last summer I lost my 3-year-old son. He wasn't one to run off, but he WAS one to sneak into the front yard and hang out on the driveway. I was terrified that someone had taken him. We have a canal at the edge of our neighborhood, too. I thought he was in the garden with hubby, hubby thought he was with me. We turned the house upside down 2 or 3 times, yelled for him, called my best friend around the corner, then called the cops.

The officer arrived within 5 minutes. He was very kind and understanding. He asked a few questions, asked for permission to search the house, and found my son sleeping under a pile of blankets. I was embarrassed, but he assured me that they would prefer a call right away, than one much later when the chances of finding a child in trouble diminish. I was never made to feel stupid. 

Another: I got rear-ended quite hard a couple of years ago. My head was pretty jumbled and my 3 small kids in the back were upset. The first officer on scene spent his whole time, after making sure we were ok, calming the kids and talking to them, giving them stickers, etc. He was also the last to leave. I'm thankful he was sensitive enough to make sure it wasn't any scarier for them than it needed to be. 

Last one for now: There used to be a family in my neighborhood with a history of neglecting their kids. My friend and I found them in dirty diapers, walking by the very busy road behind us. We didn't know where they lived. I called dispatch, again the officers were here within 5 minutes. They were very gentle and kind with the kids, they knew where they lived, and thanked us politely for looking out for them. I know they visited this family several times before CPS finally had to take them away. My friend was closely involved with the case, and the police were never mean or belligerent or anything with the family; they were always out for the welfare of those kids. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

Thanks Eowyn. Since I share posts on my FB page about police brutality, I promised my friends that I would also share the all the good cops stories I found too. I will be sure and share the link you shared above.

Also later, when I have more time, I'll share a couple of the good cops stories from my FB page here.

In every group of great cops, there will be a few bad ones. Sadly, those are often the ones that get all the attention, sucking the air and attention out of the room for the good cops.

We need to work to support the good cops, while protecting citizens against the bad ones, who use their shield and weapon as a reason to bully and break laws.  I spent 4 years in the USAF as a cop, and saw both types.  One of my supervisors spent 6 months in jail (along with a dozen others) for using their power and authority to create a theft ring around base.  Not easy to enter into the desk and see your old supervisor sitting there.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I don't know if this will work...but a sheriff's department posted this on their page on FB.  It is the dash cam video of an officer rescuing someone from a burning vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/400647906681319/videos/863475197065252/?pnref=story

Here's an article about good cops:

http://www.rawstory.com/2014/12/here-are-some-good-cops-who-have-the-crappy-job-of-protecting-you-in-trigger-happy-america/

Eowyn if you appear in real life anything like your avatar I think ISIS would even stop everything to help you out. :)

My 60yr old father owns his own plumbing company, over the years he has learned to read people to a "T". After 5 seconds of arriving at a customers home or job site he can tell what kind of person he is dealing with. He adjusts his tone of voice and demeanor accordingly. You might say there is a little stereotyping going on but from what I observe he is protecting himself and his company (I have seen his hulk hogan personality come out on a few job sites).

He constantly has customers stiff him on payment, threatening to sue just for the heck of it, Competitors trying to intimidate him out in the streets, random thieves going around town stealing tools from plumbers vans, employees stealing from his warehouse etc.etc..

now, think about the police who have to deal with the scum of the earth on a daily basis, criminals, murderers, thieves, druggies, liars.

Its not easy being a police officer.

The way things are going in the UK we're soon not going to have any cops at all, good or otherwise. (That may be a slight exaggeration, but we've already lost some 17,000 police officers in the last 5 years, and with the post-election budget cuts we're soon going to lose more.)

Edited by Jamie123

As I think back over the decades, I've probably had more interaction with cops than the next guy over.  They've almost always been positive.

* My last speeding ticket: Courteous and efficient.  After he was done and told me to have a good day, I struck up a conversation with him and we talked politics and world problems for fifteen minutes.  

* 6 or 7 years ago, I got a speeding ticket with my kids in the car.  After the ticketing was done, I motioned to the cop to hang on a second, and called out to my kids in the back seat "Are cops good guys or bad guys?"  Two little girls sang out in unison "good guys!".  The cop was overjoyed and ran back to his motorcycle and got some honorary badges for them.  

* I was 11 and we were in a duplex construction project, shooting bottle rockets at each other from different buildings.  I had time to hide but the cop found my bike, so I finally gave in and went to him.  The car ride home and the ensuing conversation between cop and dad and me wasn't pleasant, but looking back, he still managed (somehow) to treat me kindly and with respect (probably more than I had coming to me).  I guess he bet that my dad would bring the heat that I needed to see (and he was right).

* The cop who responded when my mom tried to commit suicide was very gentle and empathetic.  I could tell it was the kind of call that he wished he saw less of.  Reading a suicide note to a sobbing kid and saying a few words about how it wasn't my fault - not fun for him, but it probably blessed my life for years.

* My teen years, a girl had been killed on a neighborhood street by a car driving too fast.  3 days later, I was pulled over on that street for driving too fast.  I got yelled at by an angry cop and ticketed for the maximum stuff he could possibly ticket me for.  Yeah, I don't really have a single valid complaint to voice about that stop.  I got what was coming to me.  The more I think about it, the family and neighborhood would have a valid complaint if I *hadn't* been yelled at.  Looking back, I can't really call this a negative experience.

Edited by NeuroTypical

This is a little one but I'd like to contribute to the discussion.

The other day I was on my way home from work and, because traffic was nasty everywhere, I took an alternate route.  As I was going down MD Rt.32 with the intention of getting onto 198, I screwed up the turn and accidentally got onto the ramp to return to 32.  I pulled over onto the emergency lane to take a second to look at my map and gather my bearings.  

The car that was in front of me was, turns out, an unmarked patrol car.  (I think he was state police.)  He backed up and turned on his lights, pulling up parallel to me.  Now, it's worth nothing that this was right outside the Ft. Meade army base, which is where the NSA headquarters is.  That means security is a big deal in that area so I wasn't sure if this officer thought I was up to something, stopping where I did.

He was quite professional and asked me if I was alright.  I told him I'd just screwed up the turn and had pulled over to decide what to do, but at that point it looked like I was stuck getting back to 32 (where there was more traffic.)  He didn't interrogate me or demand my ID or anything, just understood where I was coming from and said he just wanted to make sure I wasn't having any problems.  I thanked him and got back on the road.  

It's a very small little event, but it was a nice reminder to me that the MD State Police are pretty professional and I've never had any problems with them.

The way things are going in the UK we're soon not going to have any cops at all, good or otherwise. (That may be a slight exaggeration, but we've already lost some 17,000 police officers in the last 5 years, and with the post-election budget cuts we're soon going to lose more.)

That's unreal .......wow

There was a recent story where the officer who had to show up at the house to tell a kid his parents had just been killed in a car accident attended the kid's graduation a few weeks later.

On some online comments concerning the op photo a woman mentioned getting so sick she had to call 911 for herself. Paramedics fixed up formula for her newborn and fed him while she was being loaded into the ambulance and 2 cops stayed with the baby until her husband got home.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2860163/Cop-befriends-73-year-old-woman-helps-shop-Thanksgiving-dinner-addition-giving-rides-doctors-squad-car.html

A story of a Texas police officer who befriended a woman and helps her out in any way he can including shopping and doctor appointments.  

A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I witnessed a little 3 or 4 year old crossing a very busy street/highway on his bike with training wheels against the light.  He was small, and low to the ground and nearly got hit.  We made a u-turn and followed the little boy where he had stopped at a Red Box next to a gas station.  My husband and I made the decision to keep him there, rather than just let him ride his little bike home again.  We called 911.  We had two officers show up, and then a third one was called due to the little boy only spoke Spanish.  (He understood enough English to tell my husband and me his name).

The officers where all concerned about this little boy.  They showed a lot of compassion.  They figured they knew the neighborhood the little boy lived in.  And, they were able to ask him, if he knew where he lived, which he answered in the affirmative.  So, the Spanish speaking office took the little boy in her car, and another officer took the boys bike, and they drove off to find the little boys home.  I'm assuming they found his home since there were no reports of a lost little boy in the media.

Most officers are compassionate.  Most do the best they can.  I appreciate their efforts to keep our cities safe.