Sacrament meeting first

Backroads

This sounds familiar.

The last time I attended a sacrament meeting was in the mid 1990s, & the ward had recently changed from having the sacrament at the end of the morning to the beginning. It was a little disconcerting, because up until then(through all my investigating and early membership) I had been thinking of the Sacrament as the pinnacle of the Sunday morning experience. It seemed only fitting to have it at the end. 

The thing is, I was under the impression that the change -then- came from higher authorities of the church. Of course I could be mistaken; sometimes I have to remind myself that the 90s were a long time ago.

Edited by lonetree

• 3 weeks later...

Another change is Ward Councils are now instructed to plan Sacrament meetings under the direction of the Bishop so sacrament talk topics are inline with what the auxiliaries believe the ward needs.

I believe you may be reading more into the announcement than what was intended. Ward councils will not be "planning" Sacrament meetings, although they will (should) certainly have more input. 

In a training meeting for Stake Presidents and Bishoprics I attended over a month ago, bishops were instructed to "counsel with ward councils about their proposed plans for future sacrament meetings."

At least one bishop who attended either wasn't paying attention or simply saw an opportunity to relieve himself of some responsibility, because according to one of my co-workers who sits on that bishop's ward council, the very next week the bishop informed the council that they would now be responsible for planning Sacrament meetings.

While speaking with the Stake President regarding another matter, I mentioned this to him and he was aghast to say the least. He said he intended on contacting the bishop immediately to put the kibosh on THAT!

Bishoprics will continue to be responsible for planning and approving Sacrament meetings, while at the same time receiving input by ward council members regarding speaking subjects, possible speakers, hymns, etc.