When does G-d intervene?

Traveler

First off - I would like to make my stand very clear - I believe G-d intervenes in the affairs of man - as the standard.  I present (as my first witness) the atonement of Jesus Christ. 

So how do you - or anyone - know that it is G-d (and not some coincidence) that is intervening?

First off - I would like to make my stand very clear - I believe G-d intervenes in the affairs of man - as the standard.  I present (as my first witness) the atonement of Jesus Christ. 

So how do you - or anyone - know that it is G-d (and not some coincidence) that is intervening?

All good things come from God. If I am blessed... it's because oh Him or through Him.

But, I think there are some things that are coincidences. Like if I am going to call a friend later that night and we just happen to meet in an out of town store. There isn't a blessing attached to that... just a coincedence that we are there and now I don't have to call her tonight.

BUT... if the same thing happened, and a blessing came out of it that wouldn't have happened on the phone call...then I think God intervened. Example: We bumped into each other in an out of town store and when we walked to the parking lot one of us had a flat tire and didn't have a jack to fix it...but, the other person had a jack. That would be a blessing because you may have had to call someone else and have to pay for it to be fixed.

Okay...so that was such a simpilsic  example...but, I hope you get the idea.

Discourse by Elder George Q. Cannon, Journal of Discourses, Volume 20

Gratifying Political and General Material Condition of the Saints—Employment for the Poor—Enemies Foiled—Plural Marriage. 

Delivered in the Tabernacle, Salt Lake City, Sunday Morning, July 7, 1878.

"I believe the Lord is watching over this people, and that he is controlling and shaping events and circumstances, and managing everything connected with the affairs of this nation, and our affairs as part of the nation, with a view to accomplish his great designs and purposes. And whenever it shall be wisdom in his sight that we should have our political condition changed and our Territory become a State, it will be effected. And it will come, too, as easily as other changes that have been wrought out and that at one time seemed exceedingly improbable. So that it is not necessary that we should become excited or impatient or indulge in too much anxiety concerning such things, but leave them in the hands of Him who has up to the present time controlled all things for the good of his people and for the bringing to pass of his own purposes."

This quote suggests that God intervenes not only in the life of individuals, but also of whole societies and nations. The bolded part of the last sentence provides us with an understanding as to why he intervenes – for the good of his people and for the bringing to pass of his own purposes. If an action or event that looks like it might be an intervention from God fails to meet either of these criteria, then it is probably not an intervention from God. 

What do you think? What is your experience indicate? Is G-d more likely to step in and intervene directly in the affairs of men because of the prayers and desires of the righteous or because of the sins and crimes of the wicked?

There. angels all about us...we sometimes call them guardian angels, but non of us have our own guardian angel. But all stand ready to do God's will, and this is Devine interdiction. Just my humble opinion. :)

What do you think? What is your experience indicate? Is G-d more likely to step in and intervene directly in the affairs of men because of the prayers and desires of the righteous or because of the sins and crimes of the wicked?

There. angels all about us...we sometimes call them guardian angels, but non of us have our own guardian angel. But all stand ready to do God's will, and this is Devine interdiction. Just my humble opinion. :)

I like to think that if a really thorough empirical study was done of all the times God has intervened, and all the times He hasn't then we could come up with a reasonably rely guide that could be used to fairly accurately predict not only the likelihood of an intervention in any future situation, but also the type of intervention. It would take a lot of work and time, probably by many people, but I think it could be done. We understand God's motivates and end objective, we understand what powers He has at His command, we know that He is an unchangeable God who often follows the same patterns and we have 6,000 years of case history to draw on and many inspired teachings and counsels from prophets and apostles. Once you know the methods, the tools, the parameters and rules that govern the situation, and the objectives, working out the how - the interventions - is really just a question of working out the details. 

Edited by askandanswer

Joshua 1

5 There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee..

9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

-Finrock

From my personal observations and experiences about the intervention of G-d in the affairs of men - the following are some "iron clad" principles (but not all) that I believe govern G-d's interventions:

#1. G-d will not intervene to do things that man (or an individual) can do for themselves.

#2. G-d will intervene and do things that man (or an individual) cannot do for themselves.

#3. G-d will not intervene to do things for man (or an individual) that is not of eternal benefit.

#4.  G-d will intervene and do things for man (or an individual) that is of eternal benefit.

If something happens or does not happen that is not in line with these principles - I do not believe that such intervention was the intent of G-d.

God has been intimately involved in my life. Even in the minutia. Divine intervention on behalf of the righteous is almost constant (I dare say that it IS constant). Whether or not we recognize it is a different story. God's intervention as a direct result of my prayers is directly correlated with the sincerity and righteousness of my prayer - that is to say, that God always answers my prayers, as long as I am willing to listen.

I don't think that I am an exceptional case. God is no respecter of persons. Therefore, I can only conclude that if a person does not see God's constant involvement in their life or a person does not get immediate answers to their prayers, it is because they aren't looking for God's involvement or lack the faith to receive those answers. This attitude tends to offend a lot of people who like to think that their faith is just fine where it is.

As far as God intervening against the wicked, the scriptures are very clear that this life is a time of probation, a time given to man to repent, and therefore God witholds judgment for as long as possible, to give each person the maximum amount of time to repent and return to Him.

From my personal observations and experiences about the intervention of G-d in the affairs of men - the following are some "iron clad" principles (but not all) that I believe govern G-d's interventions:

#1. G-d will not intervene to do things that man (or an individual) can do for themselves.

#2. G-d will intervene and do things that man (or an individual) cannot do for themselves.

#3. G-d will not intervene to do things for man (or an individual) that is not of eternal benefit.

#4.  G-d will intervene and do things for man (or an individual) that is of eternal benefit.

If something happens or does not happen that is not in line with these principles - I do not believe that such intervention was the intent of G-d.

#1. I have personal experience that contradicts this. God has frequently intervened to bless me in ways I could have easily accomplished myself. God's just a nice guy. (If we apply the same logic to man, the entire doctrine of service collapses. "I won't help my neighbor by mowing his lawn because he is fully capable of mowing his own lawn.")
#2. Not everying that God does is something we cannot do for ourselves, and not everything that God doesn't do is something that we can do for ourselves.
#3. Again, I have personal experience that contradicts this. (Sort-of. It's hard for mortals to measure "eternal benefit".)

#4. I agree, but I'll append - sometimes God not intervening is for our eternal benefit. But He'll usually tell you as much if you ask.

My example: When I was 11 or 12 years old, my brother and I decided to ride our bikes to the reservoir over in this town. We lived in the mountains. It was about a 30 minute drive. We were young and dumb, so we did it. Took all morning and we got there. We were hot and tired and didn't want to ride our bikes back home. So I prayed and God sent a pickup truck to give us a ride.
#1/#2 We could have ridden our bikes home. Might have even been good for us.

#3/#4 No eternal benefit, except perhaps that I gained an experience to share with others about God's answers to our prayers. 
This is just one experience. I have many more. And if you wanted to, I'm sure you could think of ways to twist and contort either my story or your rules so that they fit together, but that's really not the point. I think the best thing I can say is that God's intervention is motivated by LOVE, not by an arbitrary set of conditions.

:Edit:
I should append, since the question was aksed in an earlier post, that I recognize God's intervention as such, rather than as a coincidence, because I ask Him. He's not bashful and is quite ready to help me recognize His role in my life. (There might be a correlation between His willingness to help me recognize Him and my failure to recognize Him as often as I should.)

Edited by puf_the_majic_dragon

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think?  What is your experience indicate?  Is G-d more likely to step in and intervene directly in the affairs of men because of the prayers and desires of the righteous or because of the sins and crimes of the wicked?

Talk about a complicated question!  My wife and I talk about this and there really isn't a set answer.  I guess it depends on the extent of the intervention and what people would consider "intervention."  God will intervene to further his work.  He will use people and events, both manmade and natural, to further his work.  He inspired Joseph Smith on how to protect the golden plates.  All the various revelations could be seen as interventions.

As for Him personally intervening in the affairs of individual people, I think it really depends on faith and how well developed their ability to discern is.  One of the gifts of discernment is that of discerning danger.  Is that intervention?  I believe it is.  I was a cop for 13 years and I saw the hand of God intervening to save my life on more than one occasion.

On one occasion, I had a hand to hand fight with a man who didn’t want to go to jail.  I was inspired during the fight to keep him away from his desk.  Every time he started dragging me toward the desk, I got this overwhelming feeling to keep him away.  Eventually, I was able to get him in handcuffs and then walked over to the desk to see what was on it.  I found a large, open lock blade knife in plain sight.

I also know of people who later told me they felt a feeling not to do something, but ignored it and were in bad accidents.  I have also read that people put themselves in circumstances where the Holy Spirit will not go.  This happened to my daughter when she was drinking and was sexually assaulted.  So, I guess it depends on your listening to the Still Small Voice.

It is interesting to me that some feel G-d is inconsistent in dealing with his children - giving some benefits and not others.  The list I created is the result of a life time dealing with my own situations as well as others - wondering why sometimes there is help even before I pleaded and sometimes no help despite both need and petition.  And not just myself but others.

The greatest challenge for me has not been when I sensed myself in peril - spiritual or otherwise - but when I have been concerned for others.

It is interesting to me that some feel G-d is inconsistent in dealing with his children - giving some benefits and not others.  

Isn't this obvious, both scripturally and otherwise?

Edit: I should clarify -- mean in the mortal experience and from our mortal perspective. Eternally is a different matter. And, of course, even mortally, in the end, we may well see that things were not so inconsistent as they seem.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

• 3 weeks later...

G-d steps in when God is on vacation :D

Just so you understand.  In my travels I have discovered other cultures that do not believe that the sacred name of G-d should ever be written out in text form.  The ancient scripture text is such an example.  As a service to those in such other cultures that may find this forum as a source of our religion so that they can copy posts for use (and other personal reasons) I do not spell out sacred references to deity.

Just so you understand.  In my travels I have discovered other cultures that do not believe that the sacred name of G-d should ever be written out in text form.  The ancient scripture text is such an example.  As a service to those in such other cultures that may find this forum as a source of our religion so that they can copy posts for use (and other personal reasons) I do not spell out sacred references to deity.

If you think you are doing people favors and avoiding offense by typing "G-d" instead of "God", "L-rd" instead of "Lord", "J-s-s" instead of "Jesus", "Chr-st" instead of "Christ", then good for you. More power to you.

But the reasoning is silly. Replacing a vowel with a hyphen does not obscure the name in any meaningful way. It's well-understood that when you write "G-d", the "-" means "o". So what is the difference? None at all.

Unless you believe that the letter combination "G-o-d" has magical powers, or that God himself demands that no one use those letters in sequence. I doubt you believe this.

If you think you are doing people favors and avoiding offense by typing "G-d" instead of "God", "L-rd" instead of "Lord", "J-s-s" instead of "Jesus", "Chr-st" instead of "Christ", then good for you. More power to you.

But the reasoning is silly. Replacing a vowel with a hyphen does not obscure the name in any meaningful way. It's well-understood that when you write "G-d", the "-" means "o". So what is the difference? None at all.

Unless you believe that the letter combination "G-o-d" has magical powers, or that God himself demands that no one use those letters in sequence. I doubt you believe this.

I have another example of obvious meaning even with the vowel replaced by a dash...but it would be so foul even with the dash that I'd get myself banned. Which goes to the point pretty well methinks. :)

Edit: I'm not recommending Traveler discontinue his long-standing practice of doing this. At this point it would be a self-betrayal if nothing else, which would be worth it if what he did was wrong...but as it isn't wrong (though I agree...it is neutral and has no real meaning), there's no real reason for the self-betrayal. ;)

Edited by The Folk Prophet

This is a question that I wonder about quite a lot. There are many scriptures telling us to ask God for things. It seems that asking must be a factor in whether God intervenes in our lives at least sometimes. Here's some good stuff to consider:

The Savior declared, “I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.” (D&C 82:10; italics added.)

John taught, “And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.” (1 Jn. 3:22; italics added.)…

The Savior taught:

“Remember that without faith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith. Trifle not with these things; do not ask for that which you ought not.” (D&C 8:10; italics added.)

“And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.” (3 Ne. 18:20; italics added.)…

“If ye are purified and cleansed from all sin, ye shall ask whatsoever you will in the name of Jesus and it shall be done. But know this, it shall be given you what you shall ask.” (D&C 50:29–30; italics added.)

These teachings of Jesus Christ emphasize that it matters very much what we ask for and how we ask for it. I testify that when we seek His will and do it, we will obtain the greatest blessings in life.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1991/10/obtaining-help-from-the-lord?lang=eng

Edited by Timpman

Traveler's point is that he does it out of respect for, or in accommondation of, other faiths. There is nothing silly about that effort. You must then be saying that the practice of other's faith is silly. I doubt you intended that.