Talking to spirits?

Rynoburgy

Hi all. My girlfriend of 2 years recently attended a church activity in which one of her leaders told her she had the gift of communicating past the veil and talking to spirits. Apparently, during this conversation she spoke to my girlfriends husband. My gf is now cry upset because we were planning marriage and now she's convinced I'm not her husband.

Also in the same instance she supposedly contacting my girlfriends sister who has passed away and sent messages back to her. Clearly, my initial reaction to this is that she's crazy. But I wanted to ask here what the church's stand on this is? Is revelation like this possible or is that leader just crazy?

I appreciate anyone who can post their opinion and also any doctrine or official opinions of the church on this issue. Thanks

When in doubt turn to the scriptures, like Leviticus 19:31

New American Standard Bible 
'Do not turn to mediums or spiritists; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.

King James Bible
Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.

​And remember, God is not the author of confusion, Satan is.

In the various passages of scripture that list the various spiritual gifts, (eg Moroni 10: 8-19 and Doctrine and Covenants 46: 13-26) none of them make mention of a gift of communicating with spirits. I'm not sure if anyone has the ability to communicate with spirits in the way you have described, and I think Average Joe has it right.I would be more inclined to believe that your girlfriend has the ability to communicate with spirits if that's what she was told in a Patriarchal blessing. If it comes from any other source, I'd tend to be sceptical.

Hi all. My girlfriend of 2 years recently attended a church activity in which one of her leaders told her she had the gift of communicating past the veil and talking to spirits. Apparently, during this conversation she spoke to my girlfriends husband. My gf is now cry upset because we were planning marriage and now she's convinced I'm not her husband.

Also in the same instance she supposedly contacting my girlfriends sister who has passed away and sent messages back to her. Clearly, my initial reaction to this is that she's crazy. But I wanted to ask here what the church's stand on this is? Is revelation like this possible or is that leader just crazy?

I appreciate anyone who can post their opinion and also any doctrine or official opinions of the church on this issue. Thanks

The choosing of a husband or wife is a deeply personal and sacred thing.  It is personal, and your gf will receive personal revelation about it, not your leader, and especially not in that manner.  This leader has no stewardship over your girlfriend to say such things.  It is completely inappropriate, and I would go as far to say that it is not of God.  You should bring this matter to the attention of those who have stewardship over this leader.  

It is very serious.  Evil spirits are real.  

So is she saying your girlfriend's supposed husband isn't born yet, or that he's dead? Or that she was communicating with him telepathically? Either way. . . loco for coco puffs. I'd actually talk to the bishop and let  him know what she's telling these girls. That's harmful.

So is she saying your girlfriend's supposed husband isn't born yet, or that he's dead? Or that she was communicating with him telepathically? Either way. . . loco for coco puffs. I'd actually talk to the bishop and let  him know what she's telling these girls. That's harmful.

She told my girlfriend that she was speaking to her husband, in a telepathic way I imagine. My girlfriend then asked if she had met him yet, to which she replied no. I agree that it is harmful to the girls and I believe she doesn't have the right to say those things.

My next question would be, how can I approach talking about this with my girlfriend in a way that wouldn't offend her? She honestly believes that God was communicating these messages to her and I don't know what I should do :/ 

You don't...  If this person is using their position in the church and church functions to spread this stuff then it is a job for the bishop to address the issue.  It is his calling and stewardship to deal with this, but you need to let him know so that he can (assuming he does not already know)

As for you girlfriend...Maybe you should reconsider your relationship if she is so easily swayed from her affection toward you.

She told my girlfriend that she was speaking to her husband, in a telepathic way I imagine. My girlfriend then asked if she had met him yet, to which she replied no. I agree that it is harmful to the girls and I believe she doesn't have the right to say those things.

My next question would be, how can I approach talking about this with my girlfriend in a way that wouldn't offend her? She honestly believes that God was communicating these messages to her and I don't know what I should do :/ 

first approach the bishop about what has been going on. your gf may not be the only one get misinformed and that needs to be addressed regardless of you and your gf.

as to you and your gf,.honesty is the best policy. especially if you BOTH were considering marriage. 

I would be more inclined to believe that your girlfriend has the ability to communicate with spirits if that's what she was told in a Patriarchal blessing. 

I think this pretty unlikely to happen. Like...never.

There is no ability to communicate with "spirits", as in "ghosts", as in "dead people". If, and when, a dead spirit communicated with us, if it's a righteous cause then it's called an angel and it's not an ability, it's because the angel chose to communicate with us. It it's not a righteous cause then...beware.

Even worse, we're not talking about dead people. We're talking about telepathic communication with someone she hasn't met, but is "destined" to be married to one of the YW under her care. 

Really, the bishop needs to be told, and then the stake president, all the way up the line until someone takes her away from impressionable youth.

First off, as others have said, let her bishop know what's been happening if you haven't already. It needs to be dealt with before your gf's situation gets worse and before similar things happen to others. His calling is to deal with this kind of thing, and he will receive revelation on how to do it.

As for how to resolve things between you and her, I would make it a matter of prayer and/or fasting. You can receive revelation on how the Lord wants you to handle things. Maybe you take a stand and risk offending her for her own spiritual safety. Maybe you let her pray and decide for herself. Maybe you end things now, or possibly you ask the bishop or your family for advice, or something totally different from any of that. I really don't know, but God does, and He will help you make things right in His own way and time.

Best of luck.