necessary and sufficient conditions

The Prophet Joseph said:

“After a person has faith in Christ, repents of his sins, and is baptized for the remission of his sins and receives the Holy Ghost, (by the laying on of hands), which is the first Comforter, then let him continue to humble himself before God, hungering and thirsting after righteousness [including the Melchizedek priesthood and temple ordinances], and living by every word of God, and the Lord will soon say unto him, Son, thou shalt be exalted. When the Lord has thoroughly proved him, and finds that the man is determined to serve Him at all hazards, then the man will find his calling and his election made sure.” (Teachings, p. 150.)

Elsewhere Joseph Smith elaborated:

“From the first existence of man, the faith necessary unto the enjoyment of life and salvation never could be obtained without the sacrifice of all earthly things. It was through this sacrifice, and this only, that God has ordained that men should enjoy eternal life; and it is through the medium of the sacrifice of all earthly things that men do actually know that they are doing the things that are well pleasing in the sight of God. When a man has offered in sacrifice all that he has for the truth’s sake, not even withholding his life, and believing before God that he has been called to make this sacrifice because he seeks to do his will, he does know, most assuredly, that God does and will accept his sacrifice and offering, and that he has not, nor will not seek his face in vain. Under these circumstances, then, he can obtain the faith necessary for him to lay hold on eternal life.” (Lectures on Faith, 6:58; see alsoD&C 98:11–15 and Teachings, p. 322.)

It was to William Clayton, that the Prophet Joseph said:

“Your life is hid with Christ in God, and so are many others. Nothing but the unpardonable sin can prevent you from inheriting eternal life for you are sealed up by the power of the Priesthood unto eternal life, having taken the step necessary for that purpose.” (History of the Church, 5:391.)

Edited by Average Joe

Is being fully cleansed of one's sins both a necessary and a sufficient condition for returning to live with our Father in Heaven for eternity?

I would say being clean is necessary but not sufficient. And indeed the atonement and gospel plan involve much more then simply cleansing.  

We tend to think of the results of repentance as simply cleansing us from sin, but that is an incomplete view. A person who sins is like a tree that bends easily in the wind. On a windy and rainy day, the tree bends so deeply against the ground that the leaves become soiled with mud, like sin. If we focus only on cleaning the leaves, the weakness in the tree that allowed it to bend and soil its leaves may remain. …

When a person has gone through the process that results in what the scriptures call ‘a broken heart and a contrite spirit,’ the Savior does more than cleanse that person from sin. He gives him or her new strength. That strengthening is essential for us to realize the purpose of the cleansing, which is to return to our Heavenly Father.” (Elder Oaks, "The Atonement and Faith, Ensign April 2008)

The Lord wants us to be people of strength and power, not just weak beings who must be continually cleansed. We must become holy.

I am going to take the other side from james12, if for no other reason than I always agree with him, and that's kinda boring.

(But I don't think I'm really disagreeing with him, just taking a different understanding of the terms.)

I say yes, it is a necessary and sufficient condition. The "necessary" part is obvious. I would say, at least for the sake of this thread :), that being truly "cleansed" involves sanctification, and thus presupposes the necessary ordinances and knowledge required to gain exaltation.

My $0.02

Is being fully cleansed of one's sins both a necessary and a sufficient condition for returning to live with our Father in Heaven for eternity?

100%, since to unclean thing can dwell in the presence of God.  However, such sinlessness will likely be achieved in the Final Judgement, when a person of God is fully enveloped in God's grace.

On the face of it, if we accept the idea that being cleansed of all sin is a necessary but not sufficient condition, it seems to be an odd situation whereby a person without sin might be denied entry to the celestial kingdom.

Justification/Sanctification isn't a one time thing. D&C 93 tells us that Christ went from grace to grace receiving grace for grace. So it is with us. We go from one level of sanctification to the next, reflected in the ordinances we receive.

Through Justification and Sanctification, we are made sinless and holy.  Both are required for us to first escape death and hell, but also to arise through the heavens and into God's presence.

To the level we are sanctified/made holy, we are able to rise through the heavens. Mormon 9:3 tells us that the wicked would be more miserable in God's presence than with the damned souls in hell.  This is not because God would make them miserable, but they are miserable in God's presence.

In relating Alma 36 and Alma's conversion, he has a near death experience (NDE) in the spirit prison. He is miserable, hating the thought of being in God's presence.  Why? Because, though he cannot see it, he IS in God's presence, as God's presence is felt everywhere.  When he repents, he is suddenly justified through Christ's blood and made sinless. His misery becomes joy, as the darkness within him dispels and he is able to see and enjoy the light of God. Yet, he is not fully sanctified/made holy, and can only see God from a distance, wishing to be closer.

You can see my discussion on Alma 36 in the BoM Sunday School lessons I did a few years ago at my blog, and here at LDS.net 

Isn't this where the difference between justification and sanctification comes into play (Moses 6:59-60, and all that)?

Good Morning Just_A_Guy! :)

Can you provide your understanding of the difference between justification and sanctification? I ask not to debate but to learn.

-Finrock

Can you provide your understanding of the difference between justification and sanctification? I ask not to debate but to learn.

-Finrock

From an Evangelical perspective here is a simplified definition.  I'm assuming it might be different than the LDS view.  I can post more on it later if you would like. from http://www.more-free-online-sermons.com/justification-and-sanctification.html

justification-and-sanctification.jpg

-Finrock

Finrock, I can't claim to have made an in-depth study of the topic; but I rather think "sanctification" is very closely aligned with celestialization, having one's calling & election made sure, etc.  ("It is one thing to be on the mount and hear the excellent voice, etc., and another to hear to voice declare to you, You have a part and lot in that kingdom", as Joseph Smith taught.)

To tap back into the OP:  No, it's not enough merely to have one's sins expunged and be restored to a state of innocence (which I would deem "justification").  In order to obtain exaltation, we must go through actual spiritual growth in order to become something much, much better than what we were in our premortal state--we need to be sanctified.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Justification through the blood of Christ makes us sinless. We become eligible for a kingdom of heaven. We are rescued from death and hell.

Sanctification is a process through both the blood of Christ and the Holy Ghost. It is not an all or nothing, but a progression. We may be sanctified to a telestial, terrestrial, or celestial level. As we repent and learn to be Christ-like, we are made holy to ever greater levels. The Holy Spirit of Promise seals us to levels of holiness. It is nothing we earn. It is something we become as the Spirit changes us. We have that "mighty change of heart" that King Benjamin speaks of, changing us to ever higher levels of holiness until we become perfected/completed in Christ.