Latin expertise

hagoth

I still have my Blacks Dictionary.  Surprise to me.  I think I read every word in it.

dc

Awesome! However, I'm not sure how much an understanding of legal terms would help towards what I'm trying to accomplish. Thank you very much though. :)

Does anyone here have intermediate or expert level experience reading Latin?

Thanks in advance!

"Caesar ad sum jam forti

Brutus et erat

Caesar sic in omnibus

Brutus sic in at"

"Latin is a language

As dead as dead can be

First it killed the Romans

And now it's killing me!"

Isway Igpay Atinlay anyway oodgay ootay ouyay?

• 2 weeks later...

hagoth, if you give us your question, we might be able to provide an answer, with or without extensive high-level Latin.

Hi Vort,

I appreciate the willingness expressed by you and others here, but the request is actually much more involved than a quick paragraph or two. I was considering hiring someone to translate a large (and growing) body of classical Latin, but due to other recent developments, I'll instead devote time to studying the language for the lion's share of my late nights for a couple of years, and will eventually get around to doing my own translations.

Well, I thought I'd just tune in here to see if it was ever revealed what the Latin ability was to be used for, if anything.

Why don't you just use Google Translate or one of probably 100 other translators available free online?  Everything is one computer today, you know.

You just plug your book in one end, and out the other end comes your book ... in English, or any other language.

dc

Well, I thought I'd just tune in here to see if it was ever revealed what the Latin ability was to be used for, if anything.

It's related to the Restoration.

Why don't you just use Google Translate or one of probably 100 other translators available free online?...

Because automated translations like Google Translate are often worse than no translation at all. Try it a few times and you'll know what I mean.

Edited by hagoth

I'm surprised to report that the decision to forge into this alone has been a providential one, and there have been significant findings already, after only three days. I was expecting it to take a couple of years hard work to prime the pump before coming up with worthwhile results. I still expect there to be a couple years' hard work to round this out, but thanks to the forum for being a sounding board to getting started on this.  :)