Media bias is real -- so where to find real news?

prisonchaplain

So Jonathan Gruber said that Obamacare passed because the American voters are stupid, and that the law only subsidizes states that have their own exchanges.  When these remarks came out, the MIT Professor/architect of the Affordable Care Act, became a nobody to the Administration.  There were claims that he played a minor role, no one in the regime could pronounce his name right, much less recognize him personally.  But alas, 20,000 emails between him and the White House have surfaced, and one liberal news anchor admitted that the Administration lied about Gruber.  Well, they were not fully open about the matter, so to speak.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/06/23/spike_it_when_the_media_kill_a_story_for_political_reasons_127088.html

So, if most mainstream media shill for Obama, and FOX shills against him, where is one to find real news?

Guest MormonGator

I read the New York Times and Wall Street Journal daily. They balance each other out quite well. 

The Times has gotten more obnoxiously, snarky left wing since Bill Keller left though. They seem to have gotten angrier. 

Edited by MormonGator

I read the New York Times and Wall Street Journal daily. They balance each other out quite well.

If by "balance each other out" you mean that the WSJ provides reasonably accurate reporting of real news while the NYT grinds its unabashedly leftist axe over whatever strikes its fancy, then I fully agree.

I like RCP a lot--they seem to go out of their way to get stuff from both sides.  TheHill . . . I don't follow them much, but from what I've seen they seem to skew slightly left.  That's not a reason not to read them, of course . . . just need to deploy the critical-thinking skills appropriately (same as I do when I read FoxNews, Drudge, or Instapundit).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

For what's going on in politics, what I normally do is DVR c-span when there's something interesting going on or go through transcripts for like Supreme Court cases, Executive orders, speeches, Bills, etc. I read through each one and come up with my own commentary on the thing.

But, to know what important things are happening that need my attention, I tend to find everything Jamie Dupree is writing/talking about or what's being splatted on Drudge, and this triggers my search for stuff.

Then when I've read what I can from the "straight from the horse's mouth" sources and come up with my own analysis of the thing, then I bounce it against what people are saying on the internet - usually CNN and Fox and the several newspapers including international ones (I still like to read the Plain Dealer even after having left Cleveland a long long time ago).

Guest MormonGator

Any thoughts about realclearpolitics.com or thehill.com?

I like both. 

I also do Politics1.com for politics. The most fair, objective place I've ever seen. 

I'm not much of a news junkie, but I dreadfully hate Husband's Yahoo newsfeed and anything similar. I swear, most of the articles thrown out are opinion pieces I have no desire to read. Pure dribble.

If I want to browse the news, I'll go to a local source where it really is just articles.

Beyond that, I don't care much.

• 2 weeks later...

So Jonathan Gruber said that Obamacare passed because the American voters are stupid, and that the law only subsidizes states that have their own exchanges.  When these remarks came out, the MIT Professor/architect of the Affordable Care Act, became a nobody to the Administration.  There were claims that he played a minor role, no one in the regime could pronounce his name right, much less recognize him personally.  But alas, 20,000 emails between him and the White House have surfaced, and one liberal news anchor admitted that the Administration lied about Gruber.  Well, they were not fully open about the matter, so to speak.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/06/23/spike_it_when_the_media_kill_a_story_for_political_reasons_127088.html

So, if most mainstream media shill for Obama, and FOX shills against him, where is one to find real news?

Outside of the country.

I have found the British as well as German media to be rather reasonable and fair.  Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten is a good place to start if you are good in German.  Or with Chrome you could translate the page.