Rating yourself

Bini

I've been talking to a family member who's in the process of self evaluation for his job. To be more specific, evaluating various aspects of his work performance that will be reviewed by a superior. The scoring system he's been given is 1-4 (1 being poor and 4 being excellent). I believe him to be a hard worker, and knowing him personally, would vouch 4's for certain things (like being timely and a great team worker). Of course, my opinion means nothing, this is entirely up to him. The thing I'm noticing with him though, is he's afraid of giving himself perfect scores where he does feel that he's earned them, but is in fear that he'll come across over confident or even arrogant.

So, if you give yourself perfect scores, that basically implies that there's no room for improvement, and bosses don't like that answer. On the other hand, bosses do appreciate a competent employee. Have any of you had to rate yourself for a job? What's a good guideline to go with? Or, if you are a boss that's reviewed these self evaluations, what's your take?

Go with three or three and half. It shows you have confidence in yourself but allows room to grow. 

I think this depends on the definition of the scores. A score of 4 to me at my job would only mean that not only am I sufficient, but regularly exceed expectations. This is not to say I have no room to grow. 

I normally and honestly give myself 3's and 4's. But I admit that often the 3's are placed just so I do not place all 4's.I think this is not only the fault of my manager not giving me any feedback on performance, but on myself for asking for feedback. I get very little to zero feedback in my position currently, but, in reality I am perfectly okay with that. 

I think the whole practice is a politically motivated joke. I strive to avoid cynicism at all times, but the situation where an employee is supposed to rate his own performance is itself a cynical exercise. The employer is not God, and the employee has no legal, ethical, or moral obligation to bare his soul to his employer.

If I am ever required to do such point-based self-evaluations, I always give myself the maximum possible score that I can figure out a way to justify. If there is any question, I give myself the benefit of the doubt. This was true in school and is true at work. (Well, less so in school, where I still wrestled with the idea that this was a test of honesty, and so strove mightily to give myself a "fair" score. By the time I was out of school, I had recognized the cynical nature of the entire exercise.)

Self evaluation questions are silly and an almost meaningless exercise.  They smack of bureaucracy and politics and managerial laziness. They can be used to justify almost anything.  True, all-too-often it's company policy to do these things so even a good manager won't really have a choice... but any manager worthy of actually leading or managing would probably not put a lot of stock in them, but would get to actually know his or her employees by (gasp... dare I say it) ... talking and interacting with them on a regular basis.  Surveys only get answers that people think the "management" want to hear... not honesty or real communication which are more likely to come out in everyday situations and not on some bullet point list thought up by somebody in HR. 

Edited by theSQUIDSTER

I did my self-evaluation just yesterday - mid-year reviews. It is a painful exercise and I would echo the comments above. Fact is, it is a necessary evil. As a manager (for many years now), I have reviewed dozens of other self-evaluations. I think it important to be as positive and self-promoting as possible. Nobody else is going to toot your horn for you. Don't worry about the 'no room to grow' idea. The room to grow is a promotion. You need to be at the next level "before" you get promoted, so best to try and show you are there now. 

I agree with the idea that it's a ridiculous exercise.

He told me over the weekend (he's submitting it today Monday) that he took a training where the instructor said NOT to give yourself perfect scores. So that really left an impression in his head. Ultimately, he gave him moderately high markings but not superb.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Compared to women my age, I give myself a solid 6.

I don't know about you, but I see myself as a 10 cow woman. ;-)

I'm grateful that I don't have to do much of this in education; we reflect on our teaching, but it's not to the point where I rate myself numerically.

I like this story:

Once there was a man who enjoyed taking evening walks around his neighborhood. He particularly looked forward to walking past his neighbor’s house. This neighbor kept his lawn perfectly manicured, flowers always in bloom, the trees healthy and shady. It was obvious that the neighbor made every effort to have a beautiful lawn.

But one day as the man was walking past his neighbor’s house, he noticed in the middle of this beautiful lawn a single, enormous, yellow dandelion weed.

It looked so out of place that it surprised him. Why didn’t his neighbor pull it out? Couldn’t he see it? Didn’t he know that the dandelion could cast seeds that could give root to dozens of additional weeds?

This solitary dandelion bothered him beyond description, and he wanted to do something about it. Should he just pluck it out? Or spray it with weed killer? Perhaps if he went under cover of night, he could remove it secretly.

These thoughts totally occupied his mind as he walked toward his own home. He entered his house without even glancing at his own front yard—which was blanketed with hundreds of yellow dandelions.  -- October 2014 General Conference, Dieter Uchtdorf

Unfortunately, a lot of people get so stuck on 

I like this story:

Once there was a man who enjoyed taking evening walks around his neighborhood. He particularly looked forward to walking past his neighbor’s house. This neighbor kept his lawn perfectly manicured, flowers always in bloom, the trees healthy and shady. It was obvious that the neighbor made every effort to have a beautiful lawn.

But one day as the man was walking past his neighbor’s house, he noticed in the middle of this beautiful lawn a single, enormous, yellow dandelion weed.

It looked so out of place that it surprised him. Why didn’t his neighbor pull it out? Couldn’t he see it? Didn’t he know that the dandelion could cast seeds that could give root to dozens of additional weeds?

This solitary dandelion bothered him beyond description, and he wanted to do something about it. Should he just pluck it out? Or spray it with weed killer? Perhaps if he went under cover of night, he could remove it secretly.

These thoughts totally occupied his mind as he walked toward his own home. He entered his house without even glancing at his own front yard—which was blanketed with hundreds of yellow dandelions.  -- October 2014 General Conference, Dieter Uchtdorf

This is great! I do that sort of thing all the time... I just get so very focused on some things that I lose my focus on others. 

• 1 month later...

If I had to give a self-rating it wouldn't be anything over a 2, 2 or below. I do the exact same thing, get focused on one thing and lose focus on others.

Edited by KellyLC