LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center

pam

SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has donated to the Utah Pride Center's efforts to provide breakfasts for homeless youths, the center announced Wednesday.

Church officials notified the Utah Pride Center of the donation in a recent grant letter, said Kent Frogley, chairman of the center's board of directors. The Salt Lake-based nonprofit agency serves breakfast every Saturday when the weather gets cold, Frogley said.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865631810/LDS-Church-donates-to-Utah-Pride-Centers-efforts-to-feed-homeless-youths.html?pg=all

This is cool.  When I was in law school at the U of U, the LDS Law Student Association and the OUTLaws chapter (the student organization for LGBTQ issues) very frequently joined forces for various charitable drives.  Nice to see it happening on a slightly bigger scale.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

• 4 years later...

Our funds seem to have been well spent

I actually don’t mind the Church’s donation—it seems to have been for a good cause.  But it’s a lot of fun to see a group of people who were dedicated to using SJW-theory to make life a living hell for the people they perceived as too “establishment”, self-destruct after all the accusatory torpedoes they’ve launched over the years (“discrimination!”  “Nepotism!” “Wrong pronouns!” “Cis privilege!” “Lack of diversity!” “Talking over minorities during meetings!”  “Microaggressions!” “Lack of transparency!”) circle back against themselves.

How do you like that guillotine now, Citizen Robespierre?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

5 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I actually don’t mind the Church’s donation—it seems to have been for a good cause.  But it’s a lot of fun to see a group of people who were dedicated to using SJW-theory to make life a living hell for the people they perceived as too “establishment”, self-destruct after all the accusatory torpedoes they’ve launched over the years (“discrimination!”  “Nepotism!” “Wrong pronouns!” “Cis privilege!” “Lack of diversity!” “Talking over minorities during meetings!”  “Microaggressions!” “Lack of transparency!”) circle back against themselves.

Schadenfreude is beneath you, JAG. (I know this because I can see you up there.)

Empowered victims in search of an oppressor to destroy, absolutely MUST have an oppressor to destroy.  They will find one, even if it means finding one in their own ranks.

Denver AM talk radio guy who reads a lot of history, keeps pointing out similarities with stuff like this, to the rise of Mao, and the last days of the 3rd Reich.  In WWII Germany, as the Russians were literally days, even hours away from the bunker, one of Hitler's most trusted generals (also his brother-in-law) defected.   They caught him, and Hitler had him executed.  

Guest MormonGator
23 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

to the rise of Mao

Um, no. 

What's happening here is troublesome, but to compare it to the rise of Mao and the Great Leap Forward is like comparing a guy in semi-pro baseball to Babe Ruth. Are there some similarities? Maybe, but in reality the two situations are so vastly different that you can't compare them. 

I strongly recommend reading "Mao: The Untold Story". Mao was a psychopath and a monster, and his time in China cost so many lives that we don't really grasp that each one was an individual. I hate the man with a passion, and I hate communism even more. Comparing what is happening now to anything that happened in China is delusional and shows that your AM radio guy doesn't really have a clue about history, but has a Masters in Alarmism. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Dude tracks the rise of the concept of Mao's "political correctness", with the rise of it in the western world.  He's not comparing Mao at his height (or depth) with US today, he's comparing Mao's early developing years with the US today.

Okay. I see it differently. 

20 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Empowered victims in search of an oppressor to destroy, absolutely MUST have an oppressor to destroy.  They will find one, even if it means finding one in their own ranks.

Denver AM talk radio guy who reads a lot of history, keeps pointing out similarities with stuff like this, to the rise of Mao, and the last days of the 3rd Reich.  In WWII Germany, as the Russians were literally days, even hours away from the bunker, one of Hitler's most trusted generals (also his brother-in-law) defected.   They caught him, and Hitler had him executed.  

Now, that is a breath of fresh air.  This could indeed be the altering of the shadows I've been looking for.  Thanks.

For members I suppose the question is what benefit Heavenly Father has in mind by directing the prophets to take this course of action. As an outsider, I suppose I am non-plussed by it. Some "allies" are probably thrilled, and some Fundamentalists are probably alarmed, and feel vindicated in their antagonism. Personally, my greatest concern is not with any secular pride center, but with those Christians who are attempting to make their churches and denominations "inclusive." https://juicyecumenism.com/2020/02/14/dan-matlock/

On 6/27/2020 at 11:32 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

I guess I don't see the connection.  What does the Church's donation of food have to do with the apparent corruption of the Pride Center? -- "Well spent"?

Edited by Carborendum

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I guess I don't see the connection.  What does the Church's donation of food have to do with the apparent corruption of the Pride Center? -- "Well spent"?

The article stated that there's mismanagement of funds in the leadership of the Utah Pride Center.  From what I understand, the Church is not donating food.  The Church is donating funds towards providing breakfasts.  If there's a problem with mismanagement of funds, this donation is possibly affected.

If I were in charge of appropriation of Church donations, I would probably start my own Pride Breakfast Club rather than have a 3rd Party to do it for me.  But, that's just me.

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The article stated that there's mismanagement of funds in the leadership of the Utah Pride Center.  From what I understand, the Church is not donating food.  The Church is donating funds towards providing breakfasts.  If there's a problem with mismanagement of funds, this donation is possibly affected.

If I were in charge of appropriation of Church donations, I would probably start my own Pride Breakfast Club rather than have a 3rd Party to do it for me.  But, that's just me.

That still doesn't answer the question.  Take the word "food" out of my post, and my question still stands.

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

That still doesn't answer the question.  Take the word "food" out of my post, and my question still stands.

Let's replace it with "funds".  I read @Just_A_Guy's "well spent" comment as on the sarcasm side - maybe I'm wrong.  Giving funds to an organization that mismanages funds is sarcastically "well spent"... in a babylon bee kinda way.

27 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Let's replace it with "funds".  I read @Just_A_Guy's "well spent" comment as on the sarcasm side - maybe I'm wrong.  Giving funds to an organization that mismanages funds is sarcastically "well spent"... in a babylon bee kinda way.

This.  But let me emphasize, it was for a good cause, and I don’t begrudge the Church for doing it.  To my mind this just reiterates why the Church tends to move cautiously in partnering with outside agencies for humanitarian purposes (particularly when those partners—let’s be frank—hate our living, breathing guts).  And yes; I’m also guilty of more than a little schadenfreude, as @Vort points out.