Dress code has changed for Elders in some missions

pam

Mormon male missionaries, or “elders,” are recognized in many parts of the world by their suits and black name tags. However, in some parts of world with hot climates, suit coats are impractical. 

To reduce the financial burden on missionaries and their families, elders who are called to serve in missions identified by the Church as having hot climates will no longer be required to purchase or wear suit coats. Missionaries called to serve in these missions will be notified in their call packets.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/mormon-missionaries-suit-coats-hot-climates

There is a link to a PDF file showing which missions apply in the article.

Last day I wore my suit coat on my mission in the Amazon basin, was the day our plane landed. I sent it home the next month. (I heard some new, overzealous mission president after I left started insisting on suit coats for zone conferences and was nonplussed to find that no one had them anymore).

Guest LiterateParakeet

Yeah my son is going to Ghana and he doesn't need any suits, just dress pants and short sleeve shirts, also lighter colors for pants.

Here the one that really surprised me though, he can bring fisherman's sandals. They are close toe and close heel. They are actually very nice. They look like church shoes with slits for air flow.

All I ever saw them in was a white shirt and a tie.  I thought that was the official uniform.  Maybe jackets for Sacrament Meeting. 

But not in the Amazon basin.

Vegas might be a little cooler in the winter.

dc

Edited by David13

When I first arrived at the mission home I left my suit jackets in a large, very full cupboard, along with all the other suit jackets. I picked it up again two years later on the way home. Its good to see the official church catching up with what I guess has been unofficial practices for the last many decades. 

• 4 months later...

NightSG

No, no, no, a thousand times no.  You make my eyes hurt.

I saw two missionaries on a street corner talking to someone today.  White shirt and tie.  In May I saw two in Manti, on the street.  White shirt and tie.

In recent months, I have seen at least 3 pair walking down the street at various times.

White shirt and tie.

Going back thru' memory, I don't recall ever seeing anything other than white shirt and tie, for many years.

Maybe it's just Los Angeles.

dc

Vort!

That's the suit the guy at the circus wears.  I don't know if he's the circus owner, the circus ringleader, or the ticket taker.  But that's the suit.

NightSG

I think also that would be the perfect suit to wear to visit the circus, also, but you won't like what the clowns will do to you once they see the suit.

dc

Edited by David13