I'm 250 Lbs. And I'm Beautiful!

Elphaba

My brush with putting on weight went along the lines of kidding myself, I just didn't think much about it. Then it came to the day that I went to shop for clothes and not even the easy fit elasticised clothing would fit...that was where I lost the plot and cried buckets (yep, and this is something people deal with everyday and I couldn't)...couldn't make it through the too hard category of not even being able to buy a pair of jeans.

Do you have any idea what it is like to diet and never lose any weight at all...it's true...it took something like four months before I lost a single kilogram. I'll bet you're thinking I wasn't trying hard enough...I can assure you I did. It was the most stunning realisation that dieting to lose weight really can have zero effect, no wonder people give up. I didn't even have health issues that caused me to gain weight or made it difficult to lose weight. I'll admit that learning just how many calories there were in one glass of softdrink was an eye opener. Life was busy, time was short...I should have been a bit wiser about what I was consuming..but didn't have the energy.

I eventually got things under control and I'm the right size/weight ratio whatever that means. Not because of the whole image perfect/body beautiful/whatever but simply because it's easier and more manageable...I can't imagine what it would be like to have to live life with people's comments and the difficulties that crop up every day.

I've seen a fit overweight guy before, fitter than the lean muscle machines on his footy team. He certainly had the ability to run without dropping. I couldn't have run anywhere near the distances he did every day.

I just don't think it's as simple as people think it is.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a fat baby, a fat child, a fat teenager, and now a "fat" adult. I've been treated like crap or as a 2nd class citizen because of my weight for as long as I can remember. STOP getting "holier than thou" about weight! Trust me, us fat people have wrestled with this demon EVERY FREAKING DAY. I exercise, I've changed my diet for the better, you name it. But guess what? The weight AIN'T GONNA COME OFF IN ONE DAY. I also have thyroid problems, complicating things for me. I freely admit this is a very sore spot/subject for me. But I will not apologize for this.

Part of my issue is that I got a body type like my father's, stocky and very strong. I can out-lift most other women, and more than a few men, but I'll never ever be "thin." It just isn't in my genetic make up! I, for one, will not shed a single tear if and when the fashion industry gets fire bombed or something of that nature. In fact, I'd probably be roasting marshmellows over the charred remains. ^_^

When you've gone through the crap I have, THEN you can lecture me about being fat. Until then, I don't wanna hear it.

I was a fat baby, a fat child, a fat teenager, and now a "fat" adult. I've been treated like crap or as a 2nd class citizen because of my weight for as long as I can remember. STOP getting "holier than thou" about weight! Trust me, us fat people have wrestled with this demon EVERY FREAKING DAY. I exercise, I've changed my diet for the better, you name it. But guess what? The weight AIN'T GONNA COME OFF IN ONE DAY. I also have thyroid problems, complicating things for me. I freely admit this is a very sore spot/subject for me. But I will not apologize for this.

Part of my issue is that I got a body type like my father's, stocky and very strong. I can out-lift most other women, and more than a few men, but I'll never ever be "thin." It just isn't in my genetic make up! I, for one, will not shed a single tear if and when the fashion industry gets fire bombed or something of that nature. In fact, I'd probably be roasting marshmellows over the charred remains. ^_^

When you've gone through the crap I have, THEN you can lecture me about being fat. Until then, I don't wanna hear it.

:lol: But will you make smores with them? I would! :D

I understand what you're saying. My friend's daughter has always been overweight along with the whole family. I have seen the healthy things they eat and how incredibly active her daughter is, but she is overweight. My friend's whole family is overweight despite all their efforts. I wasn't overweight until I was given a medication that made me gain 25 pounds in a month, then I developed horrible vertigo and could hardly walk for a year without holding onto my husband, had three kids, broke my foot and was on crutches for four months, etc., etc. The strange thing is, I lose when I am pregnant. I once gave up all junk food for 6 months and did aerobics every day and I gained another 10 pounds. I was fine before that dumb medication (and I was misdiagnosed so it didn't even help).

I haven't grown up being mistreated, but it's interesting seeing how differently I'm treated now that I'm overweight. However, it seems more strangers have been striking up conversations with me in public - people of all sizes, age, etc., and that's been rather nice.

I saw an interesting thing on the news. They said that if you get less than 6 hours of sleep per night, that makes a lot of people gain weight. I guess that would explain the weight gain after my babies were born even though I was eating hardly anything. They were pretty high maintenance and I hardly had time to eat.

When was the last time any of you were tested for Diabetes? Had your thyroid levels tested?

When I eat only 45 grams of carbs, plus 15 grams of protein and fat per meal, I lose weight.

I don't count calories, or sugars. I only count carbs, protein and fat.

I sit at a desk all day long. Even on the days I do endorsements or quarterlies (get a file from the file room, sit and work on it for about 10 minutes, get up refile it, get a new file, repeat) I don't walk more than .37 of a mile! A person needs to walk at least a mile to qualify for the minimal amount of exercise. That also helps to lose weight.

I have high blood pressure also- and I did have 3 abscesses in my upper jaw due to three very rotten teeth. Those are extracted, the Periodontist has worked his magic and I have followed his orders to the letter. My teeth are now healthy, and my blood pressure has dropped.

Unfortunately I have gone back to eating the junk foods. Carl Jr's burgers, WhatABurger BBQ Chicken Strip sandwich, french fries.

Drinking soda pop makes my entire body cramp up. So I leave that poison alone. I love it, love Dr Pepper and Classic Coke. But man oh man, the cramping is way more than I can handle!

Go to the American Diabetes Assoc. site: Diabetes Information - American Diabetes Association and on the left, scroll down to the nutrition - weight loss and take a read. Check out the foods that are good, bad and neutral.

Being healthy isn't synonymous with being skinny. But you shouldn't be gasping for breath with every step, or stressing your heart and other vital organs.

I am striving to get to 150 pds. I have 80 to go. I want to reach this goal weight in a year or 18 months.

I hate scales. They're inaccurate. Pretty much all of them tell me I'm overweight.

:lol::lol::lol:

That's great!!!

When I was married (1st time) I was around the 220 mark, not in great shape, but not too bad. When I was getting divorced and going through bankruptcy, I gain weight. Eating was my "safe haven". I weighed my self last year and I was 260!!!! In the past few months, me and my new wife have started to be more physically active. I'm down to about 245 now, but my goal is 200. I was at a high risk for type 2 diabetes, probably still am. I've cut regular sodas out along with caffeine, and stopped going to McD's, Wendy's, etc. We do need to exercise more, and we're trying hard.

Just thought I would add my story.

Are you sure you lost weight? Your stomach might've been resting on the towel rack. (Please tell me you saw that Simpson's episode.)

Seriously, good job! That is awesome. I want to start swimming again. I just wish it were free. It's free in Summer when I go to the lake. It feels so good on my back! I have sway back and I went to PT last year because I was having spasms. I especially liked cold water because it numbed everything.

Are you sure you lost weight? Your stomach might've been resting on the towel rack. (Please tell me you saw that Simpson's episode.)

Seriously, good job! That is awesome. I want to start swimming again. I just wish it were free. It's free in Summer when I go to the lake. It feels so good on my back! I have sway back and I went to PT last year because I was having spasms. I especially liked cold water because it numbed everything.

Yes, the towel rack is nowhere near the scale.(And yes, I did see that episode. Bart: I think this is the first time Dad's butt has prevented the escape of toxic gases.:lol:)

I tried to go swimming again the other night. OY!! I only did 2 laps and I was done. Every muscle ached, but I slept well that night.

Yes, the towel rack is nowhere near the scale.(And yes, I did see that episode. Bart: I think this is the first time Dad's butt has prevented the escape of toxic gases.:lol:)

I tried to go swimming again the other night. OY!! I only did 2 laps and I was done. Every muscle ached, but I slept well that night.

:lol: I can't believe he purposely got himself to 300 pounds so he could go on disability. Oh wait. It's Homer. Yes I can believe it.

I sleep well too after swimming. It's my favorite exercise.

I'm not trying to offend anyone or be 'fattist' or whatever the politically correct term is; but I think all this big is beautiful kind of talk is wrong. At the end of the day, people are that size because they are eating to much of the wrong kinds of food. In short, they are abusing their bodies. And that is definitely not beautiful...

The Goddess

Hello The Goddess,

While this may be true in many cases, it is entirely possible that many women (and men as well), who struggle with obesity and perhaps overindulgence, might also use this expression to build or reinforce their self esteem, instead of use it as an expression of pride and rationalization for eating more than is necessary. I never met an overweight person who really wanted to stay that way.

:lol: I can't believe he purposely got himself to 300 pounds so he could go on disability. Oh wait. It's Homer. Yes I can believe it.

I sleep well too after swimming. It's my favorite exercise.

If I remember correctly, he weighed 330. Although, the site of him in that moo-moo :eek: :eek: scary.

While this may be true in many cases, it is entirely possible that many women (and men as well), who struggle with obesity and perhaps overindulgence, might also use this expression to build or reinforce their self esteem, instead of use it as an expression of pride and rationalization for eating more than is necessary. I never met an overweight person who really wanted to stay that way.

This is true. There are a few people who have given up trying to get thin, but I think they are the exception. I know I do not want to be this way, but I'm also trying things to slim down. Some work, some don't, and sometimes I don't work.

The biggest problems are two-fold. We are becoming a society of instant gratification and speed. We gotta get there faster, not have to get up, etc. The days are long gone when we walked or rode the bike instead of drove, use the remote control instead of getting up and changing the channel, or sitting in front of the computer all day. People simply aren't active anymore.

The second problem is what society, especially in America, has come to subsist on: Fast food, groceries that are passed off as healthy, but instead contain everything except most of their original nutrients. Everything has preservatives, addatives, fillers, etc. Where are all the bakeries? Where are the fruit stands (Unless you live in an area like mine, filled with orchards and farmers markets)? Nowadays what's really healthy in grocery stores are found typically in the perimeter of grocery stores in refrigerators and freezers where good foods are preserved the old fashioned way instead of stuffed with junk to make them last forever, but depleted of their real nutrients. It would be healthier to eat cardboard.

Whoa! There's a lot of opinions about this topic. I'll just add this: I have a best friend whose 115 and tiny, but it's because she has an illness that doesn't allow her to gain weight. She does not exercise and eats the highest fat diet I have ever seen! Due to issues with my thyroid and other medical problems I am a little overweight despite eating a very healthy diet and exercising constantly. IF you put the 2 of us side by side I'm sure most people (including most of the posters here) would point to her as the healthy one.

You can't look at a person and say, 'They're overweight, they must be lazy french fry eating pig!' First, it's none of your business why they look the way they do, but you don't know anything about them. Weight gain and loss is way more complicated than many of you give credence to. I hear many people who are overweight, or very underweight, express the wish to wear a sign around their neck that says "Hypothyroid...not fat!" or whatever the reason may be.

So from a person who once was on Weight Watchers for 3 months, never cheated, ate healthy, exercised daily, and still gained 7 lbs....let's follow church/prophet/scriptural counsel and not judge each other.

Amy

You said it better than I did, Amy.

While this may be true in many cases, it is entirely possible that many women (and men as well), who struggle with obesity and perhaps overindulgence, might also use this expression to build or reinforce their self esteem...

I hope my posts were not taken the wrong way. Judging is exactly what I was hoping not to do.

Geez, what is it with you guys lately. Stud, you are not the first guy this week to think I am, well, a guy!

What's up with that????

I told the last guy "You're just mean because you got beat by a girl!":p

I really am nice! Ask Iggy or Gwen from this thread!

Elphaba

Geez, what is it with you guys lately. Stud, you are not the first guy this week to think I am, well, a guy!

What's up with that????

I told the last guy "You're just mean because you got beat by a girl!":p

I really am nice! Ask Iggy or Gwen from this thread!

Elphaba

Yep, she is- although she is kind of weird though 'cause she likes green things. Green eye makeup and lashes, green witch. :D

But female she is- most definately.