I'm 250 Lbs. And I'm Beautiful!

Elphaba

I would never join a church based on it's membership only, however, if these are truly religious people and represent the church in any way, it's frightening to those of us looking to join. I am not interested in perfection, I'm looking for basic human decency.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yoga is pretty effective for losing weight because it should include change in diet as well - but we'll take it one step at a time lol - right now personally I am walking just under 30 miles a week so more than beating my 10,000 steps most days I take it and average it out over the week. I am particularly worried about us targeting weight instead of fitness because I have known from when she was about 2 my daughter was a candidate for anorexia (she is more than capable of going to sleep hungry), and now at 4 she is unnaturally obsessed with not getting fat for such a little one, not sure where its come from, she is far from fat.

I just feel that weight is less important than being healthy....

I agree totally!

michaela

Flower, there are loads of LDS people here with compassion and support for overweight people, who don't judge them. :) Even when I was skinny, I defended those who characterized my mother-in-law as fat and lazy. She works constantly, takes care of her family, she doesn't stuff her face, etc. For whatever reason, she has a very tough time losing weight. Spend time with any overweight person and you will most likely find that they are anything but lazy. One of my best friends is absolutely amazing and she is quite overweight - ever since she was a child. Her whole family is overweight and she tries so hard. She's done Weight Watchers and can hardly make a dent in her weight. But she never stops during the day - cooking, cleaning, running the kids around, and she walks 4 miles every day. She also does a lot of service for people, works for her kids' school, and does awesome at any calling she has.

I think it is human nature to judge what we don't understand. A friend of mine said she used to judge poor people - that they needed to get off their lazy butts and make some money. That lasted until she and her husband went through a financial disaster and she thinks it happened because of how judgmental she was.

I would never join a church based on it's membership only, however, if these are truly religious people and represent the church in any way, it's frightening to those of us looking to join. I am not interested in perfection, I'm looking for basic human decency.

even the humans that were being fattist are basically decent - their other posts are often enlightening and funny if a bit straight to the point.

-Charley

I think it is human nature to judge what we don't understand. A friend of mine said she used to judge poor people - that they needed to get off their lazy butts and make some money. That lasted until she and her husband went through a financial disaster and she thinks it happened because of how judgmental she was.

there is a quote

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity, nothing exceeds the criticisms made of the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed."

_Herman Melville

-Charley

I understand what you all are saying, and I really appreciate the quote, I just find these to be very sad people. I hope they don't represent the norm in the church. Obviously they have much to learn about compassion and understanding. And leadership is tolerant of this mindset? They promote it?

These members don't seem to be living very righteously to me. I'm embarrassed for them and their posts.

Hi Flower,

I am the one who started this thread back in July. I don't know if you had a chance to read the first post, but when I posted it was meant to be an interesting and humurous article. I'm going to re-post it here just in case you didn't have a chance to see it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From a 1919 Atlantlic Monthly article:

"The day of the fat lady was long in dawning, but at last her freedom and her fashionableness have arrived."

Apparently the appreciation for the zoftig woman only lasted a short time, but it must have been wonderful to hear we heavier women were lovely and atttractive for once.

The Corpulent Dame now has dresses made to exhibit, not to conceal, her shapeliness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately, a number of posters felt the need to make more of the article than was ever implied. This was unfortunate.

However, because it has upset you, which is understandable, I really want you to understand that the very people who have made critical and judgmental comments in this thread do the same thing in many other threads. However I can't make a blanket statement because there are always exceptions.

But if you stick around you'll soon come to know who the judgmental people are. But you'll also discover there are also very kind, loving and open-hearted people who really want to get to know you.

So, please try not to take their posts as representative of members of the Church on the whole, because they are not.

Elphaba

P.S. I am an ex-Mormon; however, I have no bitterness for the Church. I just know the people on this board, and they are kind, giving, and loving. Some will judge, but others will take you in with the arms open wide. E.

Aphrodite,

Wight is not nessesarly contributed to eating to much. My wife most times goes without breakfast and lunch and yet, she has gained allot of weight over the years. I have read that cronic pain and woman who have anxiety gain wait because of certain triggers in the brain create the weight gain. As far as my wife is concerned she was involved in a severe car accident that to this day, causes cronic back pain every single day of her life and her type of work does not help.

She sits on the seat of her office chair with her knees and leans over the back of the seat to use her computer. Her back cannot cope with the pain when she sits in the seat. She has not been able to return to church because she complains the pews are just to painful for her to sit.

Also, ALMOST everyone will really start to gain weight as thay age. The body's metabolism slows down. It is said a person in there 30s who exercises has the same metabolic burn rate as a teen who sits in a chair.