Just a matter of time - plural marriage challenge

Average Joe

Nathan Collier said he was inspired by the recent Supreme Court decision that made marriage equal. He said he was particularly struck by the words of dissenting Chief Justice John Roberts who claimed giving gay couples the right to marry, might inspire polygamy.

And so this week, Mr Collier and his two wives, Victoria and Christine, entered a courthouse in Billings, Montana, and sought an application  to legalise the trio’s polygamous union,

“Right now we're waiting for an answer," Mr Collier told The Independent. “I have two wives because I love two women and I want my second wife to have the same legal rights and protection as my first.”

He added: "Most people are not us. I am not trying to define what marriage means for anybody else - I am trying to define what marriage means for us."

Read full article here

My gut tells me that Collier won't win this one--if only because he's a white male.

The case that legalizes polygamy will come from a Muslim man, a polyandrous woman, or free-love swingers in a group marriage. It won't come from a white Christian male.

My gut tells me that Collier won't win this one--if only because he's a white male.

The case that legalizes polygamy will come from a Muslim man, a polyandrous woman, or free-love swingers in a group marriage. It won't come from a white Christian male.

you may be right, but it will be difficult to deny now that the can of worms has been opened. Any member of a polygamous religious group (Muslim or not) is now to claim they are being denied marriage as espoused by their faith.  

For some reason this one does bother me as much as same sex marriage.  I realize it is still against church policy and doctrine.

But if some guy wants to take on having to put up with more than one woman...more power to him.  :P

For some reason this one does bother me as much as same sex marriage.  I realize it is still against church policy and doctrine.

But if some guy wants to take on having to put up with more than one woman...more power to him.   :P

And to put up with all those Mothers-in-law... ugh!  ;)

Especially if your mother-in-law was also one of your wives.

And it's all down the slippery slope from there to where someone ends up as his own grandpa and we all run off to establish "The First Self Righteous Church" headquartered in Pastagoola Mississippi where Ray Stevens will be our first prophet and we will worship squirrels as the representation of God's presence among us.

Especially if your mother-in-law was also one of your wives.

Ooh. That's just...icky.

Seriously, yuck.

I believe that it was Biblically forbidden for a man to marry his wife's mother or daughter.

I'm not actually one for mother-in-law jokes. I love my mother-in-law, despite her being sometimes difficult, probably due to some serious challenges in her life deriving (at least in part) from growing up in Nazi-Germany-occupied eastern France and watching her older sister captured and sent away to a brutal German camp, which she survived, but from which she never recovered. I think mothers-in-law should get a break from their children's spouses.

And it's all down the slippery slope from there to where someone ends up as his own grandpa and we all run off to establish "The First Self Righteous Church" headquartered in Pastagoola Mississippi where Ray Stevens will be our first prophet and we will worship squirrels as the representation of God's presence among us.

The squirrels reminded me of this:

Wait...we haven't started that church yet?

Guess that's why they keep looking at me funny on Sundays.

Hmmmmm the legalizing of plural marriage could be a windfall for the church and those members with ancestors dating back to the Missouri and Nauvoo periods   (perhaps even pre 1890 Utah) that lost property under the extermination order and property that was confiscated by state and federal governments because of polygamy.  It would be better documented and more recent than current reputations being sought for by certain other "minorities" for loss of civil rights.