President Boyd K. Packer passed away.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/president-boyd-k-packer-dies-at-age-90

Boyd K. Packer, president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died at home Friday, July 3, 2015, at about 2 p.m. MDT from causes incident to age. He was 90 years old.

“He was truly an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ. From the crown of his head to the soles of his feet, he represented the Savior of the world,” said Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. 

President Packer passed away today at the age of 90. We will miss him.

Elder Russell M Nelson will now become the president of the quorum of 12.

President Monson is the last remaining living witness of the 1978 Revelation on the Priesthood.

Here are some of my favorite Packer statements/talks:

We lay no claim to being Apostles of the world—but of the Lord Jesus Christ. The test is not whether men will believe, but whether the Lord has called us—and of that there is no doubt!

We do not talk of those sacred interviews that qualify the servants of the Lord to bear a special witness of Him, for we have been commanded not to do so.

But we are free, indeed, we are obliged, to bear that special witness. (A Tribute to the Rank and File of the Church, April 1980 General Conference

Once a man received as his inheritance two keys. The first key, he was told, would open a vault which he must protect at all cost. The second key was to a safe within the vault which contained a priceless treasure. He was to open this safe and freely use the precious things which were stored therein. He was warned that many would seek to rob him of his inheritance. He was promised that if he used the treasure worthily, it would be replenished and never be diminished, not in all eternity. He would be tested. If he used it to benefit others, his own blessings and joy would increase.

The man went alone to the vault. His first key opened the door. He tried to unlock the treasure with the other key, but he could not, for there were two locks on the safe. His key alone would not open it. No matter how he tried, he could not open it. He was puzzled. He had been given the keys. He knew the treasure was rightfully his. He had obeyed instructions, but he could not open the safe.

In due time, there came a woman into the vault. She, too, held a key. It was noticeably different from the key he held. Her key fit the other lock. It humbled him to learn that he could not obtain his rightful inheritance without her.

They made a covenant that together they would open the treasure and, as instructed, he would watch over the vault and protect it; she would watch over the treasure. She was not concerned that, as guardian of the vault, he held two keys, for his full purpose was to see that she was safe as she watched over that which was most precious to them both. Together they opened the safe and partook of their inheritance. They rejoiced for, as promised, it replenished itself.

With great joy they found that they could pass the treasure on to their children; each could receive a full measure, undiminished to the last generation.

Perhaps some few of their posterity would not find a companion who possessed the complementary key, or one worthy and willing to keep the covenants relating to the treasure. Nevertheless, if they kept the commandments, they would not be denied even the smallest blessing.

Because some tempted them to misuse their treasure, they were careful to teach their children about keys and covenants.

There came, in due time, among their posterity some few who were deceived or jealous or selfish because one was given two keys and another only one. “Why,” the selfish ones reasoned, “cannot the treasure be mine alone to use as I desire?”

Some tried to reshape the key they had been given to resemble the other key. Perhaps, they thought, it would then fit both locks. And so it was that the safe was closed to them. Their reshaped keys were useless, and their inheritance was lost.

Those who received the treasure with gratitude and obeyed the laws concerning it knew joy without bounds through time and all eternity. (For Time and All Eternity, October 1993 General Conference)

What are some of your favorite quotes or thoughts about Pres Packer?

My thoughts are I'm going to have to read a lot of his talks to find out what my favoritie is and all that.

My other thought was, 10 children, 60 grandchildren, and 103 great grandchildren?

Wow!  What a birthday party he would have had.

May he rest in peace. 

I guess for certain there will be quite a few people at the funeral.

Ok, I read that he was described as a Conservative Mormon, and that in 1993 he said the greatest threats to the church come from feminists, homosexuals, and intellectuals. 

I like the way he thought.

dc

It is odd for me, I joined in 1979...he has always been an Apostle. Goes to show how long a man can serve and be a positive influence. I was already living in Germany when Prieshood changed. I remembered reading about it, thinking that is was odd, that Balcks could not hold the Priesthood...I did not even know what a Mormon was. Jest a few months later, I would be a member.

I actually thought we might hear about Elder Scott before President Packer.

All of the senior apostles are old enough that the sudden death of any of them would not be shocking news, but Elders Scott and Hales have, of late, been showing the effects of age. President Monson himself has been less spry than we have become accustomed to. It would not be too surprising to have three or four, or perhaps even five, new apostles called and sustained at our next General Conference.

What a somber and sobering passing of the guard. I am sure we will come to love and appreciate the men who will be called to fill those positions as much as we have loved their predecessors. But I sometimes miss hearing from Elder Faust, Elder Maxwell, Elder McConkie, Elder Richards, President Kimball, President Smith, President Lee, President McKay, President Benson, President Hinckley, President Hunter, Elder Ashton, Elder Brown, Elder Wirthlin, and others of the Lord's servants. I am sure my father and my grandparents felt similarly about apostles of their own day.

What a somber and sobering passing of the guard. I am sure we will come to love and appreciate the men who will be called to fill those positions as much as we have loved their predecessors. But I sometimes miss hearing from Elder Faust, Elder Maxwell, Elder McConkie, Elder Richards, President Kimball, President Smith, President Lee, President McKay, President Benson, President Hinckley, President Hunter, Elder Ashton, Elder Brown, Elder Wirthlin, and others of the Lord's servants. I am sure my father and my grandparents felt similarly about apostles of their own day.

They live on and preach on, at LDS.org.

All of the senior apostles are old enough that the sudden death of any of them would not be shocking news, but Elders Scott and Hales have, of late, been showing the effects of age. President Monson himself has been less spry than we have become accustomed to. It would not be too surprising to have three or four, or perhaps even five, new apostles called and sustained at our next General Conference.

Even Elder Nelson who would be next in line to be prophet is 90 years old.  Makes you wonder.  He seems so healthy though. But then I thought that of Elder Perry as well.

It's hard to believe the age of these Apostles and how spry they are.

Heavenly Father certainly takes care of them so that they can continue with His work.

Happened to be listening to this talk of Elder Packer's today on my morning commute, and the following seemed appropriate given that I believe his funeral will be today:

I remind you that it is a veil, not a wall, that separates us from the spirit world. . . Veils can become thin, even parted. We are not left to do this work alone.

They who have preceded us in this work and our forebears there, on occasion, are very close to us. I have a testimony of this work; it is a supernal work in the Church. I am a witness that those who go beyond the veil yet live and minister here, to the end that this work might be completed.

God grant that we who have an opportunity to have part in it might seek that opportunity and labor with all our might, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Edited by Just_A_Guy