baptism fears

Guest LDS Newbie Princess

Guest LDS Newbie Princess

I am being baptized this week. I am kind of nervous. I am kind of nervous partly because I don't know what I should bring to the baptism. I know I need a complete set of new clothes after baptism. I also need a towl to dry off and my bra/underwear under the white jumpsuit should be white. Is that it? I'm also partly nervous that the jumpsuit is semi see through. How do people deal with the see thruness especially a woman? Can anyone help me here?

Congratulations! See-throughness isn't really an issue. The baptismal clothes are fairly heavy. Also, you are only visible wet for a few seconds. Once you are dipped, you make your way out of the font and back to the dressing room.

You would want to wear nice clothes for your baptism reception but there is no requirement for "new." I hope you didn't feel compelled to get new clothes.  

Guest MormonGator

Allow me to say something off topic please: 

Being baptized is the greatest thing in the world. It's the best thing that even happened to me, and even though I would never speak for LadyGator, I'm confident she'd say the same.  

Welcome! 

I am being baptized this week. I am kind of nervous. I am kind of nervous partly because I don't know what I should bring to the baptism. I know I need a complete set of new clothes after baptism. I also need a towl to dry off and my bra/underwear under the white jumpsuit should be white. Is that it? I'm also partly nervous that the jumpsuit is semi see through. How do people deal with the see thruness especially a woman? Can anyone help me here?

I don't know if there's a rule about what colour underwear you must wear for baptism because nothing was ever said to me at mine, or when I was older and did some baptisms for the dead as a youth, but I found that white-on-white showed through a lot more under the baptism jumpsuit thingy. So I chose to wear darker colours that did not do that. Up to you unless it really is a deal (which like I said, no one ever said anything to me, so it might be whatever you're comfortable with.)

1. Bring your own towel(s). You'll need at least one. But remember your hair will get wet too, so if you feel more comfortable, bring more than 1.

2. Bring dry underclothes. Make sure the ones you wear to be baptized in are white. The jumpsuits for baptism are lined, so your underclothes probably won't show, but just in case, wear white.

3. Bring a couple of plastic bags to hold your wet clothes/towels.

4. Bring a hairdryer or some way to fix your hair quickly. You will have time after the baptism to dry off and get clothed, but you won't be able to take a very long time as there will be people waiting for you.

5. Don't worry about the small stuff. Enjoy this moment and when you get home for the evening, remember to record your thoughts and feelings. There will be times in your life that you will have doubts or difficult times and reading these emotions will help strengthen you.

I was baptized in 2011 and didn't have to bring towels, they were provided and there were plenty of them.  If you haven't already asked, someone can you let you know whether or not you need to bring towels.

Don't worry about see-through.  That's one reason why the jumpsuits are provided, to ensure modesty.

And, yes, don't forget a second set of underwear.  People have been known to forget that their underwear is going to get wet.  My baptism got delayed a few minutes because one of the missionaries forget to bring a set of garments and had to run back to the apartment.  (I have MS, so both of the missionaries who taught me the lessons were in the font, just in case.  One stood behind me, but I came back up out of the water just fine).

I had a couple of friends from the ward who helped me in the changing room, fetching the right size jumpsuit, towels, etc.  I found it very helpful.  Especially when - right after I had shed the wet jumpsuit - one of the sisters stuck her head in the changing room and said we had to do it over.  A word had been missed or said not quite right.  One of the brethren noticed it, they all conferred and agreed.  Getting a second jumpsuit on when still dripping wet and with wet underwear was a challenge! But when all was said and done, it just made one of the best days of my life even more memorable!  :)

I was very nervous at times about the baptism, simply because of my fear of water.  But, for me, there is something so powerful about the sheer physicality of the ordinance - the going down into the water and coming back out - that is indescribably beautiful.

Beefche's advice about recording your feelings is spot-on.

Congratulations! It's going to be an awesome day!

Congratulations! This will be a day to remember with joy for the rest of your life.

Along with your list of clothing and towels, remember that this isn't something that should be stressful or worrisome to you. It is the beginning of a lifetime of devotion to your Savior, a deepening of your relationship with Him, and an increase of joy and perspective. Do what it takes to be prepared, but don't worry if it doesn't go perfectly smoothly. A few baptisms do, but many include forgotten towels or clothing, multiple attempts, late starts, or whatever. In my experience, those things don't take much away from how amazing you will feel and how you and the Savior together will change your life in the coming years. So look forward to it and enjoy this week! You got this.  :cool:

Edited by Josiah

My baptism got delayed a few minutes because one of the missionaries forget to bring a set of garments and had to run back to the apartment. 

This rings a bell Leah - I made that mistake too.  ^_^ Only difference is that by the time I realized it, I was about 5 seconds from getting in the font to do the baptism, so I bit the bullet and did it anyway. I had a suit, so it wasn't noticeable to anyone who didn't try to give me a hug afterward. I will admit it was a very cold half hour for me. But more than worth it!

Edited by Josiah

Thanks for all those that answered. I have one more question. After watching a baptism last week I am slightly concerned the jumpsuit is see thru. Since I am female do I need to wear like a solid white Hanes tshirt under the jumpsuit or just my regular undergarments?

Thanks for all those that answered. I have one more question. After watching a baptism last week I am slightly concerned the jumpsuit is see thru. Since I am female do I need to wear like a solid white Hanes tshirt under the jumpsuit or just my regular undergarments?

I think some of the other sisters tried to address this for you. I think you have personal concerns that go beyond what is 'required' or what others have felt comfortable with. Fact is, you can where whatever you want. If it make you comfortable, where the t-shirt. As the one brother commented, there was a day where you just wore your clothes. The switch to white is more a cultural thing than it is a requirement.The jumpsuits are provided for convenience.   Good luck!

I actually wore a dress for mine. Someone had a long sleeved white dress in my size and threw it at me. Be thankful for that jumpsuit! You don't have to worry about tucking the skirt in between your legs to keep it from floating up with an air bubble!

Having done many baptisms at the temple in those lovely jumpsuits, you should be fine; they are of a thick material and don't show much of anything, even when wet. Wear white undergarments, but beyond that you shouldn't need anything. You'll be out of the water and back to change before anyone will notice anything even if it does feel a bit see through for you.

They did tell me to wear white, custom, tradition or mandatory, I don't know.

They also specified the white t shirt but not the brand name, so I suppose you would be ok even if it wasn't Hanes.

However, I am not a person of the female persuasion, so what applied to me might not apply to you.

In baptism for the dead, I wear white under the white jumpsuit.

dc