Divorce and the Celestial Kingdom

JojoBag

I'm new here and I have a question.  If a person is divorced, can they make exaltation?  I ask because of a couple things I've read and because of certain policies in the Church.  Joseph Smith made the following statement:

"If a man commit adultery, he cannot receive the celestial kingdom of God. Even if he is saved in any kingdom, it cannot be the celestial kingdom." (History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 81) 

The other reason is because of the Church's policy that no person who has been divorced can hold a leadership calling, nor can he be ordained as a High Priest after being divorced.  Now, don't get me wrong; I DON'T want to be a bishop or anything of the sort.  Only someone who is brain dead would want that calling.  It just doesn't make sense especially when we are told that if we repent, the Lord will remember our sins no more.

Any answers?

We don't really know a lot of what happens in the next life.  

We know we will be judged of what we did here.   I would have to think to some degree that would play a part in how our marriage went.   But Heavenly Father knows all, and so he knows all sides to it.  If it was out of our control then he would know that and judge us accordingly.   

The quote you give by Joseph Smith isn't really talking about divorce its talking about committing adultery which is a sin.  We can repent of adultery.  I that is different then divorce. 

I'm new here and I have a question.  If a person is divorced, can they make exaltation?  I ask because of a couple things I've read and because of certain policies in the Church.  Joseph Smith made the following statement:

"If a man commit adultery, he cannot receive the celestial kingdom of God. Even if he is saved in any kingdom, it cannot be the celestial kingdom." (History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 81) 

The other reason is because of the Church's policy that no person who has been divorced can hold a leadership calling, nor can he be ordained as a High Priest after being divorced.  Now, don't get me wrong; I DON'T want to be a bishop or anything of the sort.  Only someone who is brain dead would want that calling.  It just doesn't make sense especially when we are told that if we repent, the Lord will remember our sins no more.

Any answers?

I know several men who have been divorced but are now high priests and have held leadership callings including as a member of a temple presidency so I have no idea what church "policy" your talking about.

If a priesthood holder committed adultery they would in all likelihood be excommunicated - a certain way not to enter the celestial kingdom. Excommunication isn't meant as a punishment but as a method of helping someone see the errors of their ways and following the steps recommended by the stake president to fully repent receive forgiveness and have the priesthood and temple blessings restored - thereby enabling them to enter in the celestial glory on condition of continued righteousness.. 

Edited by Average Joe

Any answers?

I am of the firm belief that when one repents that they are forgiven and can be exalted in the Celestial Kingdom if they so covenant.  In fact - trying to get to the Celestial Kingdom without repentance - I do not believe is a viable idea. 

For the record - it is my experience that avoiding any sin is a lot simpler than going through the process of repenting of it.  But if anyone has made the mistake of trying to enjoy whatever sin - repentance may not initially seem as fun as the sin - but is well worth the effort.

Any answers?

Curious as to where there is a policy if one is divorced they can't be called to serve as a Bishop ?? Is there a source ??

Curious as to where there is a policy if one is divorced they can't be called to serve as a Bishop ?? Is there a source ??

From what I've gathered the policy has slightly changed.  In 2000 as a missionary I had access to the red handbook and my memory may be faulty but I seem to distinctly remember it saying that in the book.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I once had a Bishop who had been divorced and remarried.  I mean he was divorced and remarried BEFORE he became a bishop.  So that may have been policy in the past, but it isn't now.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

This of course would only apply in the absence of repentance. 

"The other reason is because of the Church's policy that no person who has been divorced can hold a leadership calling, nor can he be ordained as a High Priest after being divorced."

There is no such Church policy. 

I believe current policy is that a divorced man can't be called as a bishop until a certain period of time (five years?) has elapsed.

JAG, can you provide a reference? 

I know of no such policy and I cannot find it in any Church publication including the "recommendation for new bishop" form. 

I'm not suggesting your claim is false, I'm just wondering if you have a reference? Sometimes these things fall under the category of what President Packer used to describe as the "unwritten order of things".

JAG, can you provide a reference? 

I know of no such policy and I cannot find it in any Church publication including the "recommendation for new bishop" form. 

I'm not suggesting your claim is false, I'm just wondering if you have a reference? Sometimes these things fall under the category of what President Packer used to describe as the "unwritten order of things".

Cap_Oink, I could have sworn I saw it in [Note:  Opportunity to plead the 5th is duly noted, and ignored] an online bootleg version of the 2010 CHI Vol 1, but I cannot now find an online version.  As near as I can tell, the policy is absent from earlier versions of CHI-1.

Edited by Just_A_Guy