Hullo Mormons

ZionSeeker

"Nice people, Mormons, but crazy."

That was pretty much how I've always thought of Mormons; but recently I've actually begun to take serious interest in the faith. I left Catholicism earlier this year and joined a few non-Christian faiths before ending up where I am now, as a member of the Bahá'í Faith.

But I got interested in the life of Joseph Smith and had a Book of Mormon from an earlier visit from missionaries; and I called a few on the phone to discuss questions I had. I'm not unhappy with the Bahá'í Faith, but I figured if I was wrong and the LDS Church was God's true established Church that I didn't want to miss out by not investigating. So I promised the missionaries I pray and ask God, and they assured me that He would show me the way.

So far?

Zip. Nothing. Nada.

I've prayed, and nothing has happened. I told them this and they had me read a chapter from the Book of Mormon where Alma talks about faith. It felt disingenuous though, like at first they assured me God would let me know of LDS' veracity and then when that didn't happen, telling me I should believe anyways. A part of me wants God to tell me the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is His church, a part of me doesn't. All I know if that I can't keep waiting for the divine phone to ring. I'm very confused.

But hi!

Edited by ZionSeeker

A part of me wants God to tell me the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is His church, a part of me doesn't. All I know if that I can't keep waiting for the divine phone to ring. I'm very confused.

But hi!

Hi  :)

James 1:5-7 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord."

Edited by Average Joe

I've been a member of the LDS church my whole life, and I didn't get an answer the first several times that I asked. Turns out I wasn't ready to hear the answer, because I needed to learn how it was that I myself recognized the Spirit. And it wasn't any of the ways my parents or teachers said that they recognized it. It took me a while to separate my expectations from what I was actually experiencing, and it ultimately started falling into place once I diligently yet humbly making the gospel a part of my every day, moment to moment existence. I don't know if this helps, but I hope you find the answers you're searching for soon. 

And welcome to the forum!

Hullo and welcome Zionseeker! If I understand you correctly, you're interested and hoping to find greater truth here, but concerned that an answer hasn't come yet, and especially concerned that you seem to be half-expected to ignore that fact and convert regardless? Let me know if that's not right. If it is, this might interest you:

I was a missionary also, not too long ago. Interestingly, *most* people I met didn't get a clearly recognizable answer from God immediately upon praying and reading for the first or second time. The more common pattern was that people felt about like you seem to feel, read and prayed every day/most days, came to church, etc. for quite some time first. Then as they more fully understood what they were praying about, and were willing to change their lives accordingly, answers began to come. That's how it has always worked for me personally, too. ;)

So faith isn't just getting baptized with no answers from God. For now, faith probably means being willing to "keep waiting for the divine phone to ring." In other words, keep praying, reading, and attending for a good while, and be committed to go through with it fully if and when God answers.

*Edit: looks like char beat me to it.  <_<

Edited by Josiah

Welcome Zionseeker

I was born and raised in the church. As a kid growing up we all tend to lean on the testimony of our parents and leaders that this is Gods church on earth. I cant remember much back to when I was a kid in the 80's but seeing my children grow up now kind of gives me a taste of what I must have went through.

Here it is...

I am noticing that by teaching my kids the gospel and doctrines of Christ in my home and by them learning in church on sundays they are deciphering the bad and good things in their day-to-day lives. They notice at school or soccer practice how one of the kids might have a foul mouth or another kid talks ill of others. They recognize a yucky feeling when they are around inappropriate people or situations. If I were to ask them to tell me of a time when they felt the spirit they would say that they have never felt it, yet I know that when they have those yucky feelings in their gut that the spirit is telling them that things are not right. same holds true to the opposite, anything that is good and makes you feel good inside is of God etc...

That is pretty much the experiences with the spirit and the form of receiving answers while I was a kid.

It wasnt until I was 18yrs old when I felt the spirit in a physical way so obvious it was almost like walking through an invisible curtain of the suns warm rays, yet it was 11pm at night in the dark hallway of my aunts home.

I was living with my aunt while attending my first year of college that was located near her home. Her oldest son (my cousin) was serving a mission. I have always heard in the church that when a young man/woman leaves their familys to serve a mission, the Lord will watch over his/her family and the spirit will dwell in that home.

I wasn't actively seeking out an answer to anything but it was the Holy ghost testifying to me that the active missionary in that home (my cousin) was serving the Lord and the Lord was watching over that house.

That is when I was truly converted to the LDS church and knew it was Gods true church here on earth, since then I have had two more significant experiences with the spirit testifying to me of this church.

A part of me wants God to tell me the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is His church, a part of me doesn't. 

I believe the words of Elijah apply here. "How long halt ye between two opinions?"

Do you want an answer or don't you? 
Make up your mind, because until ALL of you wants one, you'll never get it.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but until you SINCERELY want to know; until your motivation is to discover the truth NO MATTER the consequences; until you pray with REAL intent; God isn't going to give you an answer. 

Except in very unusual circumstances, It just doesn’t work that way.

Hi,

I totally understand what you mean. I was raised by a wiccan and a buddhist. Always looking for my spiritual home. When I was 14 I joined the Lutheran Church. It was never home. From the time I was 16 Saints kept crossing my path. I investigated, but was missing this prompting telling that this is the true church. I liked it and started to love it, but my parents totally disagreed. Throughout the years, I met Saints and was always very comfortable around them. However, I partied hard and lived my life... I met my husband who was raised LDS, but had his name removed when he was 18 but still believes in the gospel (long story). His parents and some of his siblings are very active members. It took me some more years until I decided to go to a sacrament meeting when my in-laws visited. And out of the blue, I felt that this is where I need to be. And I got baptized.

Don't feel pressured. It took me 20 years from my first contact with the church until i joined. Keep investigating... meet members... aks quesitions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Grace and Peace!

Nice to get to know you a little. I was born Roman Catholic, and I mean I practiced the REAL OLD

PRE-VATICAN II Catholicism. Yes, at one point in my adult life, I seriously considered becoming a nun. 

I converted to being a Mormon NOT to please a boyfriend or any other friends. I will be honest with you , 

at times, I still struggle and I still sometimes doubt. It's like my (LDS marriage): I made a PACT with Heavenly Father that IF HE DID NOT WANT ME to be in this MARRIAGE, he would CLEARLY LET ME KNOW, otherwise I was STEPPING OUT ON FAITH. OK, and many wonderful years later (occasionally, my eternal companion and I still have our differences) I CAN  CLEARLY SEE GOD'S will. 

OK, I am the ONLY MORMON EVER in my family tree. Same as for my darling , former CATHOLIC , 

husband. When I was about to be BAPTISED, I made the same pact with Heavenly Father, because all

of my very dear Catholic friends were freaking out. God did NOT give me any indication that I SHOULD NOT join the CHURCH. That , obviously, was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Once, I broke up with my LDS fiance and became real upset not just with HIM, and he was "bad news," but with the 

LDS  Church because he was a priesthood holder and the Stake (area) President's first cousin.  This was just unreal:  I needed a new job in a hurry because of a forced move where I could no longer serve in my regular profession. The job I was assigned:  had ALL LDS employees, and my BOSS was LDS and a

Ward Bishop. (No, and this was a security job that had NOTHING to do with the Church, so  my co-workers understood that they could get in trouble discussion religion.) Needless to say, I re-activated myself and was sorry for the time I lost. 

If you can get a copy, try to read the old book, " Apostasy to Restoration," by Edgar Lyons. It was used in adult Sunday School class in the early 60's.  I tell you, it is fascinating reading, very professionally done, and a true EYE OPENER--- NOT the STUFF THEY TAUGHT US IN PAROCHIAL SCHOOL.

There are many things the LDS Church shares with the old Roman Catholic Church ---- such as baptism for the dead . (That is in the New Testament , and your missionary buddies will be able to show it to you.)

Best of luck to you and I hope you find happiness. It is good that you are the way you are.

Instant conversions are rather suspect in my book as they do not sometimes last very long.

Heavenly Father has a plan for you and your life. Everything takes place on HIS TIME.

Love in the Savior,    Athena9  

Hello! And welcome!

I was raised in the faith and did all the things I was supposed to do.  I left.  Explored.  Came back because I couldn't really find anything better.  I continued on, going through the motions.

But it was still 35 years before I truly had an assurance from God that this was where the truth was.

I promised the missionaries I pray and ask God, and they assured me that He would show me the way.

Howdy!

One thing we tend to forget, at least we don't emphasize it enough, is the third requirement of "Moroni's Promise" (Moro 10:4~5).

'… with real intent …".

The answer to your probable question, "what does that mean?" is the answer to the question, "If God reveals that the Book of Mormon is His word, what will you do?"

If that answer is, "Well, that's interesting," please know that you will never get an answer. For a prayer "with real intent", see Alma, chapter 22, verses 11 through 18. The most important is verse 18, Lamoni's father's prayer:

O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day.

Faith in Christ is critical to receiving an answer. Sincerity and truly wanting to know are also important. But God loves you enough to withhold the answer if you won't act on it. The knowledge would condemn you. No one wants that.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Athena, your story reminds me of my own attempts to get God to approve of my choice of wife. No matter how much I fasted and prayed, the heavens seemed a stone wall, or my spiritual ears completely deaf. I wanted some sort of a sign that my decision to marry my girlfriend was approved of God; I suppose I did not fully realize that it is a wicked and adulterous generation that seeks a sign (e.g. Matthew 16:4).

In the end, I prayed something like this: "Heavenly Father, I'm going to marry her. If thou hast any problems with that, please let me know. Unless I hear otherwise, we're getting married." I never heard otherwise, so I married her. Possibly the best decision I ever made.

That was pretty much how I've always thought of Mormons; but recently I've actually begun to take serious interest in the faith. I left Catholicism earlier this year and joined a few non-Christian faiths before ending up where I am now, as a member of the Bahá'í Faith.

But I got interested in the life of Joseph Smith and had a Book of Mormon from an earlier visit from missionaries; and I called a few on the phone to discuss questions I had. I'm not unhappy with the Bahá'í Faith, but I figured if I was wrong and the LDS Church was God's true established Church that I didn't want to miss out by not investigating. So I promised the missionaries I pray and ask God, and they assured me that He would show me the way.

So far?

Zip. Nothing. Nada.

I've prayed, and nothing has happened. I told them this and they had me read a chapter from the Book of Mormon where Alma talks about faith. It felt disingenuous though, like at first they assured me God would let me know of LDS' veracity and then when that didn't happen, telling me I should believe anyways. A part of me wants God to tell me the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is His church, a part of me doesn't. All I know if that I can't keep waiting for the divine phone to ring. I'm very confused.

But hi!

Greetings and thanks for sharing!

I'll be happy to answer what questions I can... My suggestions would be always be humble and open to the spirit, and be patient... and always follow the promptings of the spirit. Just remember to always put God first no matter how crazy it seems and be humble.

I know a man who recieved very definite answers from God to join different religions before eventually recieving an answer to join the LDS and according to him i fhe hadn't had those previous experiences he wouldn't have had the faith to remain strong in the LDS Faith.  Not all answers are immediate or quick in coming or happen the same way but if we are really sincere and we perservere, we will get them some way or another.

• 4 months later...
On 7/8/2015 at 7:58 AM, ZionSeeker said:

So far?

Zip. Nothing. Nada.

But hi!

Persistence is part of the key.

And learning to hear the Spirit.

And reaching deeply into yourself to aporehend your own real motivations for coming to this place in your life: if you are content as a Baha'i, you may have liitle room in your heart for Jesus, too much static to hear His Spirit.

Are you seeking to serve Christ?

Seeking to serve the needs of others?

Seeking to overcome sin and become more like Heavenly Father?

Seeking the pure love of Christ?

Are there other motivations which may not be "bad" but which have less to do with God and more to do with personal and even earthly motivations?

Such as seeking friendship, or even hoping for a romantic partner? 

Are you pursuing the application of the first principles of the Gospel so far as you understand them

And are you exposing youraelf to negative influences at the same time that you are seeking the Spirit's promptings?

Challenging yourself with material which involves a breadth and depth of command of subject matter which new people often need time to assimilate?

Etcetera.

You have my prayes and best wishes.

On 7/8/2015 at 6:58 AM, ZionSeeker said:

So far?

Zip. Nothing. Nada.

But hi!

greetings and yes we can be pretty crazy sometimes ;P
Sometimes it takes patience, sometimes God is going to have you go around first.

I know people who had spend years really striving with God to find it, and others who got it before they even saw the Book of Mormon. Be true to God and put him first.  and welcome I'd be happy to answer questions to what I can do so.