Only get revelation in the temple?

tubaloth

I think the temple is a spiritual place.  I think for some life changing movements we do need the extra spirit that is in the temple. 

But here is what is bothering me.    Our Bishop wanted to call a new Ward Mission Leader.  He felt like he needed to take the names to the temple.    

The Bishop also instructed our new YW president to go to the temple to figure out who to be her Secretary. 

I know when I was in a singles ward years ago, I was told to go to the temple to confirm counselors I was to pick for an Elders Quorum.   Which I did more thinking that is what way we do things. 

So it seems as members we can get revelation, but we can't get enough of it with out the temple? 

I assume with the Bishop's calling he should be able to get revelation on callings in the ward.   I also assume bishops in other parts of the world where a temple is farther away, that they don't run to the temple to confirm ever new calling.   

It seems like maybe we rely on the temple too much?   I guess it could be that this how my bishop has learned to get revelation?  So he does it that way.    But I don't know if its needed?  

I'd look at it in another way. The Temple is the place on earth where the Spirit is the most unrestrained. If we have an important question, it makes sense that we'd be counseled to go to the place that we can take advantage of that. 

I think those of us who have temples close to us (especially within an hour's travel) don't rely on the temple enough, generally speaking. 

You can talk to your friend in the front row of a rock concert, but it's a lot easier to go someplace quiet.

There are other quiet places, though.  The closest temple is a bit over two hours of fairly stressful driving away, while the peaceful little clearing among the oaks, surrounded by tea roses and mustang grape vines on the back part of mom's place is about ten minutes of back roads and pasture tracks away, and is open all night and on Sundays.

Sure, the Spirit may spend more time in the temple, but It seems to like visiting other peaceful places, especially those where the Lord did the decorating Himself.

If one could not get revelation except at the temple then no one would ever convert.  Conversion requires revelations.

Now putting yourself somewhere that revelation can flow easily to you, gives you an advantage.   For many faithful members the temple is exactly such a place.

However it is not exclusively so.

There are other quiet places, though.  The closest temple is a bit over two hours of fairly stressful driving away, while the peaceful little clearing among the oaks, surrounded by tea roses and mustang grape vines on the back part of mom's place is about ten minutes of back roads and pasture tracks away, and is open all night and on Sundays.

Sure, the Spirit may spend more time in the temple, but It seems to like visiting other peaceful places, especially those where the Lord did the decorating Himself.

No argument here, but for people who live close, it's the quietest place around.  A clearing would be pretty good too.

No argument here, but for people who live close, it's the quietest place around.

Considering the locations of most temples that I'm aware of, not having a temple close is a fair trade for having lots of peaceful places readily available.  I can even think of a few public quiet places within a half hour drive where I could go sit and likely not be bothered for an hour or more...and that's not even counting the six cemeteries in that radius where I have ancestors buried.

Considering the locations of most temples that I'm aware of, not having a temple close is a fair trade for having lots of peaceful places readily available.  I can even think of a few public quiet places within a half hour drive where I could go sit and likely not be bothered for an hour or more...and that's not even counting the six cemeteries in that radius where I have ancestors buried.

Interesting. There are at least 4 temples within 2 hours of where I live, and hundreds of quiet places withing 15 minutes.

Is there really a belief that the reason the Spirit visits the temple is only because it's quiet there?

It seems like maybe we rely on the temple too much? 

Of course I don't know for sure, but my guess is that this would be offensive to God. Do you have any concept of what an incredible blessing the temple is? You obviously don't or you would never ask/state such a thing.

I think the temple is a spiritual place.  I think for some life changing movements we do need the extra spirit that is in the temple. 

But here is what is bothering me.    Our Bishop wanted to call a new Ward Mission Leader.  He felt like he needed to take the names to the temple.    

The Bishop also instructed our new YW president to go to the temple to figure out who to be her Secretary. 

I know when I was in a singles ward years ago, I was told to go to the temple to confirm counselors I was to pick for an Elders Quorum.   Which I did more thinking that is what way we do things. 

So it seems as members we can get revelation, but we can't get enough of it with out the temple? 

I assume with the Bishop's calling he should be able to get revelation on callings in the ward.   I also assume bishops in other parts of the world where a temple is farther away, that they don't run to the temple to confirm ever new calling.   

It seems like maybe we rely on the temple too much?   I guess it could be that this how my bishop has learned to get revelation?  So he does it that way.    But I don't know if its needed?  

not necessarily... but once the avenue for participating in temple duties is available I wouldn't be surprised if there are some revelations that are reserved for attending.

The human body can survive for a fairly long time with only very basic food. But to perform at a certain level, we need a variety of foods rich in many kinds of nutrients. A lack of any particular one will eventually lead to corresponding physical problems and weaknesses that can hinder us.

Athletes, for example, need to eat and hydrate especially well before/during a performance or game in addition to the long term diet, otherwise they will not do the best they are capable of.

I think our spirits work in a similar way, and while it isn't necessary to attend the temple to receive revelation, I wouldn't underestimate the short-term or long-term benefits to our spiritual condition that can only be found there.

Edited by Josiah

Is there really a belief that the reason the Spirit visits the temple is only because it's quiet there?

The quietness has nothing to do with the ability of the spirit to go, but rather my ability to hear it over all of the other distractions.

Great point Tubaloth!  

The second definition of "tradition" in the google dictionary is:

"a doctrine believed to have divine authority though not in the scriptures, in particular."

I think this is precisely the case here.  A tradition of going to the temple for revelation definitely exists within the church.  A quick glance through this thread showed me that no one has yet bothered to quote the scriptures or teachings of the prophets to you on this subject.  

I am not claiming that no such teachings exist.  Indeed, if they do I would be extremely interested to read them because I know of none.  However, I will indicate that when a spiritual question is answered by experience and reason and not accompanied by scripture and prophetic counsel, then you are learning about a tradition the answerer practices in their life.  I am always careful in my life to distinguish between doctrine and tradition because I know that faith only has power when it is vested in truth and the traditions of man have little or no truth to deliver real faith to the follower (Lectures on Faith, 1).

I do love doctrine and I love the temple.  I love doing family history research and bringing their names to the temple.  I love completing ordinances for the dead who never received them in their life (DC 128).  I love sealing the human family together, one marriage and one child at a time.  I especially love this last, central mission, the end of the earth's creation (DC 49), which the temple is the facilitator of - sealing the entire human family all the way back to Adam (Joseph Fielding Smith)!  That the earth will not be wasted at his coming and that our books may be completed and turned over to the Lord for judgement at the End of Times (DC 128).  I hope we always remember these doctrines when we go to the temple!

One more brief thought that comes to mind for me is that the temple is indeed a house of learning (DC 88) and I have found priceless treasures of knowledge in God's temples.  I have noticed that the things I learn in temples CANNOT be learned anywhere else on the earth.  There, in the House of the Lord I participate in ordinances that are not done anywhere outside those walls, there I can ask questions that cannot be asked anywhere outside those walls, and there I receive answers that cannot be spoken anywhere outside those walls.  There are millions of things we can learn about just about anywhere in the world, but there are a very few choice and exalted things we can learn about only in the temples of our God, I hope we will turn our minds to these things when we are there!

Edited by Bycote

while I addressed the technicality of where one can recieve revelation.

I'd like to point out why one would choose to the temple for revelation. Revelation comes from the Spirit, and there are few places that are more spirit filled (if any), or closer to God's kingdom than a temple.... and when you seek help is it not a wise idea to go for as much help as you can get?

The most important revelation I have received in my life was not in the temple.  Nor did Joseph Smith receive his most important revelation in a temple.  Being a bishop is a very difficult job, one that I am so glad I will never have.  The problem with all too many bishops is that they think that discernment comes automatically with the job.  In this, they couldn't be more wrong.  Discernment comes through prayer, scripture study, etc., however, one thing that all too many members don't realize is that discernment goes hand in hand with gaining knowledge and wisdom.  Discernment isn't automatic.

If revelation came only in the Temple our faith would be lost. As so many live so fr from Temples, illness or injury can make a Temple 5 miles away become a Temple 5,000 miles away. Also in the Bible Dictionary says that only the home can compare with the sacredness of the Temple...I would think that much of revelation comes in the home.

Also in the Bible Dictionary says that only the home can compare with the sacredness of the Temple...I would think that much of revelation comes in the home.

Define home, though; I'd be more inclined to call mom's land "home" than any of the places I've rented over the last three years.  After all, I grew up wandering those fields and camping in those woods.  I still occasionally find golf balls there that my uncle and I used to hit from granddad's front yard.

preparation to enter the temple is a big key for you to be open to revelation while in the temple.

The greatest spiritual experience I had in my life was when I finished a temple session and was leaving the temple grounds, The spirit filled my body while I was walking down the sidewalk, I felt I was glowing while floating. Unreal.

I was not seeking or praying for an anwer to anything, it was just the Lords way of telling me that the path I was following at that time was the correct path. I was 18 and about to enter the MTC the following week.

Edited by priesthoodpower

"The Importance of Staying Awake in Priesthood Meeting"

It's ok.  I missed it too.

I have missed all the HPG Priesthood lessons for almost a year now, and I expect I will be missing them for years to come.