Geneology help

Iggy

I have a new computer, so I am downloading from discs my programs. Quicken, Microsoft Office 2007, my printer.

When I looked in my genealogy satchel for my PAF disc - it wasn't in there. So I went through husbands desk and all of his CD's. Not there.

I have left phone messages with my Branch Family History Consultants along with follow-up emails. After a week, still have not heard back from any of them.

I love my PAF program. I can no longer back it up on a single CD that is how big my file is.

IF no one has a CD for me to use, then guess I will have to find a new program, free program preferably.

What program do you use? Will it accept my PAF information? I   DO NOT want to keep my data on an internet system.

I assume you still have the data file itself; you just don't have the program?

Yep. But, to install the data file, you need to have the program installed. Unless I am misunderstanding what a data file is.

I still have a PAF 5 installer file on my laptop.  PM me if you want to work something out.

Personally, since the Church arranged for members to have free Ancestry.com profiles, I've just set up a private family tree on Ancestry.com.  I actually prefer it to PAF--as long as I have an active internet connection.  :)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Yep. But, to install the data file, you need to have the program installed. Unless I am misunderstanding what a data file is.

Incorrect.  Ancestry can convert PAF's into more modern formats.  Directions--   

Importing Your PAF to Ancestry.

This is how you load your entire PAF into Ancestry:

1.     At Ancestry.com, sign-in (it’s in the top-right corner). 

2.     Click “Family Trees” (up top)

3.     Click “Upload a GEDCOM”.  Do this even if your data is not in gedcom format.

4.     Click “Choose File” and navigate to your file.

5.     Name what your want to call your tree, like “Daum Family Tree”.

6.     Check the “Let others see this tree” box.  This let’s other people see the dead people in your tree.  No one else will be able to make any changes to your tree, or see any living people. 

7.     Decide if you want others to be able to see your tree. 

8.     Click to accept the Submission Agreement

9.     Click “Upload”.  Uploading can take several minutes for large files.

10.  You’re now good to go!

If for some reason you're fundamentally attached to PAF the program, I can dig up the link where you can download it from off line.  But I would advise ditching PAF in favor of Ancestry.

Edited by Jane_Doe

Incorrect.  Ancestry can convert PAF's into more modern formats.  Directions--   

If for some reason you're fundamentally attached to PAF the program, I can dig up the link where you can download it from off line.  But I would advise ditching PAF in favor of Ancestry.

Thank you for the directions.

I know that the data that is backed up from PAF will transfer to FamilySearch, Ancestry and My Heritage ON-LINE, but I want a program on my computer that I can work on without being connected to the internet. I love PAF- plus I am used to its format.

It is no longer available as a download - one has to have the CD.