Why do you think LDS doctrine is "cool"?

Laniston

Guest MormonGator

I have some strong feelings about this. 

Being LDS is counter culture. Like Thomas Monson said, many years ago our morals were the same as mainstream American culture. Not so today. The dominating view of society is a secularized view of morality and lifestyle. If you want to buck the trend and be "cool" you have to not do what mainstream society does. Therefore, actually having morals and behavior codes becomes counter culture and cool. 

The annoying hipster elite thinks it's cutting edge and anti establishment but in reality they are as counter culture as a pair of Croc sandals and Justin Beiber music.

Really being cool means having the ability to think for yourself and not listen to pop culture. 

Edited by MormonGator

Modern Revelation.

Most churches there is a limited amount to learn about. With Modern day apostles and prophets and modern personal revelation, we can learn about the gospel our whole lives and just scratch the surface of it. The fact that there is so much doctrine to learn about is cool.

Yeah, I'm another stick in the mud here.  The only good reason to be a Mormon, is you believe God wants you to be one.  Any other reason (including serious ones like 'hold my marriage together' or 'raise my kids right') cheapens the atonement.

Sorry.  I do wanna be cool too, but not here.

Edited by NeuroTypical

To outsiders, it appears you have a tight-knit, ready-made community.  There is little reason to be stuck at home with nothing to do, if you're in an LDS community--at least that is how it appears.  I could see some people find the doctrine of exaltation "cool."  Premortality might strike some as interesting--similar to reincarnation, perhaps.  The near universalism implied in the doctrine of three heavenly kingdoms would be attractive to many.  After all, there is always something to strive for, yet nearly everyone gets some kind of reward.

Granted, not everyone would find these "cool"--but there is much for thinking people to be intrigued by.  Either that, or PC is a theological dork.  :eek:

For me, the coolest thing about LDS doctrine is equality.  When I say equality, I mean real equality, not the false equality that the media and other secular groups are participating in.

In LDS doctrine, which is what I believe to be God's doctrine, everyone who has lived on this earth will have a chance to hear the gospel in their own language, choose to accept or reject it, and receive all the necessary ordinances to obtain the highest level of exaltation.  Everyone.

We have living prophets that receive revelation that helps everyone in their spiritual well being.

Everyone will ultimately be judged by The Advocate, Jesus Christ, who is the only one who has walked this earth that truly knows us.  He knows us even better than we know ourselves.  He will give a perfectly merciful and perfectly just judgement.

Everyone needs to rely on someone else to make it through life and gain eternal life.  We cannot do this by ourselves.  If we try to save ourselves, we will ultimately perish.

This is my most cherished of God's doctrine-

We can change.  People can change.  People do change.  If people are willing, they have the opportunity to repent and most importantly, be forgiven. 

Isaiah Chapter 1:

18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land

This is true equality, not the so-called equality that is currently being forced upon us by the world.  The doctrine of this church has always had equality as it's goal.  

“Equality is not sameness. It means equal respect for people’s beliefs.” —Dr. Heiner Bielefeldt

Edited by Str8Shooter

To outsiders, it appears you have a tight-knit, ready-made community.  There is little reason to be stuck at home with nothing to do, if you're in an LDS community--at least that is how it appears.  

On the "cool" weekends, you'll find a half dozen activities within an hour's drive of each other.  On the other weekends, there's nothing.  Every organizer swears they didn't do that intentionally, but then continue to plan up against the exact same established third Saturday dances, second Sunday firesides, etc. all while complaining about the lack of attendance at their activity.

It's nothing to go three weeks without one Friday or Saturday activity for the singles, then have a dance, a conference, a pool party and a service project all on the same evening.

Weeknights are even worse; FHE (which is an odd acronym for "make the non-custodial single parents feel even more awkward and unwanted") on Monday nights, random things you hear about ~10 minutes before they start on the other nights, and enough things that start at 5:30 so you start wondering if anyone in this church has ever held a job.

Edited by NightSG

Ah, I tell you, SG, life is tough, isn't it.  It's a tough life.

I think the thing about the church and the gospel that I like is that it is NOT cool.

It is traditional, eternal, and historic (as from 1830) on the church.

It is unchanging. 

It is not the latest fad, the latest "political correctness" for this week, nor the 'newest thing'.

Yes, I'm one of those people who goes around being "not cool" but there are those that admire me and I like myself.

dc

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty cool.

Apparently the holy spirit is some sort of cosmic life bearing ectoplasm.

And christ was born of the foundational blueprint of the universe (a direct conduit of the cosmic will).

Psychotropic political culture attempts to reserve that type of discussion to 'exotic' religion. And they never seem to make any sort of bearing or standing with those 'religions' (tangible global spiritual progress) It's kind of sick of them. 

Prayer is a form of instantaneous universe spanning telepathy.

If we are to learn all that God knows, and God knows Kung-Fu....

Exaltation basically equals superpowers.

What's cool to you about LDS doctrine?

God exists, and that he really cares for us.

that he's given the LDS church the authority as well as the burden of doing his work in the earth.

It makes sense.

the grandest things we stand accused of falls short  of the actual potential of man (and would fall short in many traditional christian theologies... if people would sit around and think about things a bit more)

Traveler, I'm recalling a very intelligent Fundamentalist Christian I knew.  He insisted that Genesis is the foundation of Christian faith, and was an adamant Young Earth Creationist.  He was passionate, and some would interpret that as closed-minded.  Yet, he embraced scientific learning to a far greater degree than I do (that is--he was more interested in it).  Yet, I'm sure that theistic evolutionists would charge this fellow with "hiding, mitigating, or ignoring truth."  He'd beg to differ.

I guess my point is that very few people would admit to hiding from truth to defend God, doctrine, or faith.  On the other hand, most of us would likely resort to believing that scientific knowledge had simply not caught up with (or developed enough) God's truth, just yet, if there was a certain well-accepted theorem that did not comport with foundational doctrine. 

So, sure, some religions are probably more guilty than others of being anti-intellectual.  Yet, I doubt any can escape from the occasional dilemma of embracing current academic wisdom vs. Church doctrine.

Traveler, I'm recalling a very intelligent Fundamentalist Christian I knew.  He insisted that Genesis is the foundation of Christian faith, and was an adamant Young Earth Creationist.  He was passionate, and some would interpret that as closed-minded.  Yet, he embraced scientific learning to a far greater degree than I do (that is--he was more interested in it).  Yet, I'm sure that theistic evolutionists would charge this fellow with "hiding, mitigating, or ignoring truth."  He'd beg to differ.

I guess my point is that very few people would admit to hiding from truth to defend God, doctrine, or faith.  On the other hand, most of us would likely resort to believing that scientific knowledge had simply not caught up with (or developed enough) God's truth, just yet, if there was a certain well-accepted theorem that did not comport with foundational doctrine. 

So, sure, some religions are probably more guilty than others of being anti-intellectual.  Yet, I doubt any can escape from the occasional dilemma of embracing current academic wisdom vs. Church doctrine.

One of the aspects of being human is the conveying of ideas.  It is one of the essential elements of our human species.   What could we know of G-d (or for that matter anything else) if not for someone that has gone before us to validate much of what we accept as true.  Our era is a time of great information.  The way we go about validating information is or at least should be important.  One vital and necessary consideration is consistency.   When what someone argues for considering religious information and beliefs should not be inconsistent in considering any other information.

It is not that I would object your Young Earth Creationist ideas concerning religion or science only that he afford each the same consideration.  For example if he is skeptical and hesitant to accept proven scientific principles - he should likewise be skeptical and hesitant to accept proven religious principles and use the same methods to validate what he believes to be true.  He should be no more skeptical of scientific scholars in agreement than religious scholars in agreement.

But what I often find in religious circles is that a point be argued by scripture (as though scripture is the authority)  but if they do not like what another scripture says on the subject - they say, "we must consider the context" of the other scripture - but they did not apply that same filter to the beliefs the argue.  This may not be "hiding" a truth but it certainly is mitigating it.  And the mitigation is inconsistent.