Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts

Thanks.

So i got the world crest badge, religious knot, arrow of light, council badge and am working on the troop numbers. From what i can tell, the only thing i am missing at this point is the green shoulder epaulets. Does that sound right?

I've been flipping around in the scout book and reading here and there. From what i'm understanding, parent involvement seems to be a bit less with the boy scouts than it was with the cubs. Requirements need to be signed off by a leader or merit badge counselor. Parents cannot sign off on requirements. Is this correct?

So do Blazers just jump right into things and start working on Tenderfoot and Second and First Class requirements?

Badges:  Sounds like you have them all, unless there's a special patrol patch (you'll want to ask your 11-year-old scout leaders).

You're correct that in Boy Scouting parents cannot sign for their own boys' rank requirements; the boys are expected to show more initiative and reach out to troop leaders, merit badge counselors, etc. outside of their own families. 

Once a boy turns 11, he starts going to 11-year-old scouts each week.  Eleven-year-olds can simultaneously work on getting their Tenderfoot, 2nd Class and 1st Class.  Ideally, they'll have earned all three badges by their 12th birthday.

Also - many scout offices will sell a sort of adhesive you can use to put patches on so that you don't have to sew 'em.  I highly recommend it.

:shrug: I prefer sewing them. That probably makes me weird, but reminds me i need to go get a merit badge sash.

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful. I will definitely talk to his new leaders. I hope they are as great as his Webelos leaders were. They were awesome--best leaders he's had so far.

Once a boy turns 11, he starts going to 11-year-old scouts each week.  Eleven-year-olds can simultaneously work on getting their Tenderfoot, 2nd Class and 1st Class.  Ideally, they'll have earned all three badges by their 12th birthday.

This is going to change.  The BSA will be putting out new requirements starting January. Six campouts will be required before earning first class. The Church has already updated the handbook on scouting to clarify that only three will be allowed.  It will now be impossible for any eleven-year-old Scout to earn First Class by his 12th birthday in an LDS unit.

This is going to change.  The BSA will be putting out new requirements starting January.

*Sigh* . . . Of course they are . . .

Gotta love the BSA.  They now allow gay leaders, threaten to expel any troop officials who inform the kids' parents as to which (if any) leaders are attracted to males, and then order them to all have twice as many overnight campouts together as they used to.  What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

This is going to change.  The BSA will be putting out new requirements starting January. Six campouts will be required before earning first class. The Church has already updated the handbook on scouting to clarify that only three will be allowed.  It will now be impossible for any eleven-year-old Scout to earn First Class by his 12th birthday in an LDS unit.

YEP!

I'm glad my last son just completed his First Class a few weeks ago from the old reqs.  I'm going to breathe a big sigh of relief once he finally graduates out of scouts... we've had a very trying time of it.

Eleven-year-old Boy Scouts are almost unknown outside of LDS units. Many LDS troops already have a reputation, often well-earned, as Eagle mills. Every LDS Scoutmaster's first lesson into the brutal realities of LDS Scouting is that we don't implement the full program as other troops do. So the fact that eleven-year-olds will not be able to make First Class is of little consequence, I think. (Besides, I'm sure the Church will allow unlimited Scout camping with eleven-year-olds as long as their fathers attend, too. So if the leaders are really uptight about the Scouts getting First Class while they're eleven, they still can. The fathers just have to step up.)

Don't get me wrong. I sustain our religious leaders. If they want to incorporate Scouting in a non-traditional way, I will support them in the effort. I might well even assume that they know something I don't know, and that our typically anemic LDS troops serve the boys better in the long run than a full program would. But it is difficult to pretend that the LDS Scouting program gives a boy a better Scouting experience than a regular Scouting unit. We remove all of the older Scouts from the program before they have even matured, and mostly leave the 12- and 13-year-old Scouts to do things on their own.

I am not complaining. Really. I am trying to explain reality. I would be surprised to find many, perhaps any, LDS Scouting leaders who disagree with me. Given the direction the larger BSA movement is going, it's possible that LDS troops will become increasingly popular with non-LDS Scouts. Wouldn't that make for an interesting dynamic in Scouting?

Don't get me wrong. I sustain our religious leaders. If they want to incorporate Scouting in a non-traditional way, I will support them in the effort. I might well even assume that they know something I don't know, and that our typically anemic LDS troops serve the boys better in the long run than a full program would. But it is difficult to pretend that the LDS Scouting program gives a boy a better Scouting experience than a regular Scouting unit. We remove all of the older Scouts from the program before they have even matured, and mostly leave the 12- and 13-year-old Scouts to do things on their own.

Ooooh, my husband's peeve!  It irritates my husband to no end that the Court of Honor has become a court of horror - with deacons horror-stricken to find that not a single person outside of the deacons and maybe a leader or a parent is present at the Court of Honor and the patrol leader gets to figure out what he's supposed to do...