Can you lose temple recommend over too much diet coke?

To clarify, my question was referring to an overall, long-term decision of how much and what kind of soda is ok, not an extreme or isolated circumstance like "drink caffeinated soda or die of thirst." Not that Dr. Pepper exactly hydrates you all that effectively... :P

It is not obvious to me that the Spirit would ever tell anyone that drinking caffeinated soda pop is A-OK.

When you say it that way, it isn't exactly obvious to me either, so I think we actually agree for the most part. Having said that, I'm fairly convinced that people's answers on this issue can and do vary, and yet all are true and correct answers from God. This could easily include being given the ok to drink caffeine in moderation. Having considered the issue personally, I am somewhere between persons 1 and 2. I can count on my hands the times I have had caffeinated soda (knowingly). I only drink soda at all about once in a month, when nothing else is available or on special occasions. Even then I'll often dilute it by going 1 part Sprite and 3 parts lemonade or apple juice or whatever (try it ;)). That was my answer and my decision, but I guess the main point I'm going for here is this: the answer I received is not the only "right answer" anyone will ever receive.

For example, while I feel that drinking a can of Dew a day would absolutely be a violation of the spirit of the WoW for me, I don't feel comfortable extrapolating that to mean that such-and-such faithful LDS who does so is violating the spirit of the WoW, although it is possible. I also don't think that so-and-so who religiously refuses to drink any soda at all and insists that his choice is based on the WoW is necessarily being Pharisaical or taking things too far, although that is possible too. I think both of these people *could* be acting according to the directions they have received from the Spirit regarding the issue. If so, they would be living the spirit of the Word of Wisdom, regardless of the fact that my personal answer conflicts with their actions. How? Because it was exactly that: a personal answer given according to my strengths, weaknesses, capabilities, and circumstances.

It took me quite a while to make any sense of these words from the Savior, but I feel that perhaps it relates to what I'm trying to describe.

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Thoughts?

Guest MormonGator

Is it okay to swallow some water after brushing my teeth on fast Sunday.  I just hate the texture of toothpaste post brushing.

Immediate excommunication! 

I am more likely to think the Spirit would wonder (in many cases with exceptions, as things tend to go) why someone with reasonable knowledge of health matters and their personal tolerances would be wasting prayer time on caffeine and pop questions.

Well, pop for sure - totally agree. Since caffeine is a component of many "health" (particularly weight loss) supplements, and if one is trying to be fit or lose weight, etc... I can see praying to try and get a sense of such usage is appropriate. I certainly have and do pray about such things.

Guest MormonGator

Oh wow ..... I can't believe you admitted this. Lol!!!!

Don't worry PaleRider. I contacted President Monson (he is on my speed dial, after all) and he said he would be starting the excommunication process shortly. 

I guess I better keep whether or not I pay gross or net tithing to myself...

Let's see.  . if the question is whether or not to count the tax you pay, what do you do if you're paid with taxes?

On a serious note, I'd like to point out that if I drank a liter of Pepsi everyday and I see that as violating the Word of Wisdom, when I am asked if I follow the Word of Wisdom and I say no. We discuss the bishop feels it's fine, I refuse to sign because I feel I don't follow the Word of Wisdom.

There, I just lost my temple recommend over soda. :conscience: 

Because your signature is on there, and it is the most important one, the question really becomes "Do you feel worthy to enter the house of the Lord?" 

I know, I know. The real question was could the bishop revoke your recomend but I thought I'd point this tid bit out.

That reminds me; F&T Sunday is coming up and I'm out of microwave popcorn.

Just pop it in when nobody's looking, set the microwave on a delay so it pops right as Sacrament meeting is finishing up, and look innocent while everybody's smelling it.