Can you lose temple recommend over too much diet coke?

paracaidista508, on 09 Oct 2015 - 1:41 PM, said:

No coffee, no tea, no tobacco...................NEVER

You missed one.

Also not supposed to eat in excess which would cover the excess we have at church in terms of desserts and dinners with people lining up for thirds, fourths etc,

Incorrect.

I didn't miss the strong drink I left it out...he is having a prob with 6packs of coke. Now as far as the gluttony thing goes.

My mistake...I thought the wow specified sparingly, prudently and with thanksgiving?

Anyway we all get carried away with worrying about this stuff. Kinda like when the prophet says every worthy young man should go on a mission and people line up and say it is a commandment. He said should not shall. There is a difference.

One may say we'll you just choose to interpret the mission adminition that way...

That would be correct and it is no different than people eating like pigs, not exercising and becoming an overall slothful individual choosing to interpret the wow the way they do.

No coffee, no tea, no tobacco...................NEVER

You missed one.

Also not supposed to eat in excess which would cover the excess we have at church in terms of desserts and dinners with people lining up for thirds, fourths etc,

Incorrect.

I didn't miss the strong drink I left it out...he is having a prob with 6packs of coke. Now as far as the gluttony thing goes.

My mistake...I thought the wow specified sparingly, prudently and with thanksgiving?

Anyway we all get carried away with worrying about this stuff. Kinda like when the prophet says every worthy young man should go on a mission and people line up and say it is a commandment. He said should not shall. There is a difference.

One may say we'll you just choose to interpret the mission adminition that way...

That would be correct and it is no different than people eating like pigs, not exercising and becoming an overall slothful individual choosing to interpret the wow the way they do.

That's not a valid comparison. There is a clear, plain directive that it is the duty of every young, worthy male to serve a mission. But what counts as excess, sparing, prudent, etc., is not plain and allows, very purposefully, for interpretation. It is, in fact, plainly taught that we are supposed to interpret such, and that it is inappropriate to teach things that are outside what has been specified as rules as if they are rules. Doing so is inappropriate. Suggesting that young man get ready and serve a mission is in no way comparable to suggesting that someone not get that second helping at a ward activity. Not even close.

That's not a valid comparison. There is a clear, plain directive that it is the duty of every young, worthy male to serve a mission. But what counts as excess, sparing, prudent, etc., is not plain and allows, very purposefully, for interpretation. It is, in fact, plainly taught that we are supposed to interpret such, and that it is inappropriate to teach things that are outside what has been specified as rules as if they are rules. Doing so is inappropriate. Suggesting that young man get ready and serve a mission is in no way comparable to suggesting that someone not get that second helping at a ward activity. Not even close.

Sure it is a valid comparison:

1- Mission service is a directive, suggestion or whatever you want to call it. If it is a commandment, how come not going does not change a member's standing in the church? (other than socially) I smoke a cig or have a beer and it does, but not going on a mission changes nothing. That being said, it is very clearly optional and there is no penalty, punishment or anything like that other than some girls wont like you.Oh, and you wont lose a temple recommend over not going.

2- The WOW says what it says about eating and it is obvious this is probably the most ignored and disputed topic ever...

I even mentioned I have a problem with it in another thread and I was subsequently accused of claiming to be "perfect." People get so blinded with rage over this they dont even comprehend what they read.

Anyway-  we shall not discuss the elephant in the room.

Before I get accused of making a fat joke-

Elephant in the room
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is based on the idea that an elephant in a room would be impossible to overlook."Elephant in the room" or "Elephant in the living room" is an English metaphorical idiom for an obvious truth that is either being ignored or going unaddressed. The idiomatic expression also applies to an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss.[2]

I was once talking with the man I consider my professional mentor and a business associate he was introducing me to.  As the conversation meandered into personal matters, they both began talking about when they did drugs and drink themselves into oblivion.  I was kind of surprised by this, but out of courtesy decided not to say anything.

At some point my mentor claimed a quote from Abraham Lincoln about virtue and vice (which I think he misattributed or misquoted) the new guy noticed I hadn't said anything, looked at me and asked, "So what about you?  Do you have any vices?"

"Well, I do.  But I don't think you'd consider them as vices."

My mentor smiled and said, "That's because his vices are Mormon vices."

Other guy looked at my hand -- a Pepsi he had offered me earlier (which I accepted and was nursing for a while).  "And you're drinking a Pepsi.  Well that makes me think you're at least human. I have some more respect for you now."

I wonder why having a vice would make you more respectable.

Other guy looked at my hand -- a Pepsi he had offered me earlier (which I accepted and was nursing for a while).  "And you're drinking a Pepsi.  Well that makes me think you're at least human. I have some more respect for you now."

I wonder why having a vice would make you more respectable.

I have often wondered this. Four years ago, I actually heard someone say that they didn't want to vote for Mitt Romney because, in their estimation, he was "too perfect". They actually liked the fact that Obama was a pothead; somehow, it made him more "relatable", and thus (I assume) better fit to govern. Whatever. The natural man is stoopid.

Edited by Vort

My wife made a salient point.  

"Why bother talking about keeping a temple recommend over Coke, when people keep their recommends over much more egregious sins.  Coke isn't even worth discussing."

Here is a scenario. After I describe it, I will list a series of situations. Decide which one of each of the three situations would result in the loss of a temple recommend.

Situation: I go to Bishop for recommend interview. I tell him I lost my job, am nearly out of money and am depressed about it. I have gained 30 lbs in the past 6 months. My DR said I have to lose about 40 lbs as I have high blood pressure and coronary heart disease. No diabetes or other illness which causes obesity- I just like to eat etc…. Bishop asks what has caused the weight gain:

a-      I started drinking to deal with my depression.

b-      I now smoke MJ to deal with depression and eat too many Doritos

c-       I use food as medicine and I cant stop. It makes me feel better.

Me (same person as above) walking out of convenience store with_______ in my hands and the Bishop is walking in at the same time and sees me.

a-      A 12 pack of beer

b-      A carton of smokes

c-       A 64 oz soda and dozen doughnuts

My wife goes to RS pres and complains that I am depressed and need help. I don’t work, look for a job or do anything but sit around. While doing this I _____ . Which answer would cause the RS pres to go to the Bishop to get immediate help? Prob all three, but only two will cause loss of a recommend.

a-      Drink beer

b-      Smoke

c-       Eat, eat, eat

We  get appt with Bishop to get foodbox from Bishops storehouse. He asks to see our records to go over financial eligibility and bring in a typical receipt from last couple grocery trips. He looks at the receipts and sees______ . Which one will result in loss of recommend?

a-      Alcohol

b-      Cigarettes

c-       Lots of hostess, Doritos, soda etc

There are only a few things anyone cares about. There may be more that should be addressed, but we do not dare do that.

Here is a scenario. After I describe it, I will list a series of situations. Decide which one of each of the three situations would result in the loss of a temple recommend.

Situation: I go to Bishop for recommend interview. I tell him I lost my job, am nearly out of money and am depressed about it. I have gained 30 lbs in the past 6 months. My DR said I have to lose about 40 lbs as I have high blood pressure and coronary heart disease. No diabetes or other illness which causes obesity- I just like to eat etc…. Bishop asks what has caused the weight gain:

a-      I started drinking to deal with my depression.

b-      I now smoke MJ to deal with depression and eat too many Doritos

c-       I use food as medicine and I cant stop. It makes me feel better.

Me (same person as above) walking out of convenience store with_______ in my hands and the Bishop is walking in at the same time and sees me.

My wife goes to RS pres and complains that I am depressed and need help. I don’t work, look for a job or do anything but sit around. While doing this I _____ . Which answer would cause the RS pres to go to the Bishop to get immediate help? Prob all three, but only two will cause loss of a recommend.

a-      Drink beer

b-      Smoke

c-       Eat, eat, eat

We  get appt with Bishop to get foodbox from Bishops storehouse. He asks to see our records to go over financial eligibility and bring in a typical receipt from last couple grocery trips. He looks at the receipts and sees______ . Which one will result in loss of recommend?

a-      Alcohol

b-      Cigarettes

c-       Lots of hostess, Doritos, soda etc

There are only a few things anyone cares about. There may be more that should be addressed, but we do not dare do that.

I don't see any other point to your imaginary, wildly speculative post other than your desire to be "right" in all things and to continue your hobby of judging others.

There are plenty of scriptures and quotes from various sources that I could throw in here, but it would be wasted on someone who won't let anything get in the way of his own personal agenda.

Where did I pass judgement on anyone? 

Call me whatever you want, but please point out where the WOW states anything that would support unhealthy eating and the resulting decline in health due to obesity.

Like I said before. I have a problem in this area (I'm fat!!!!) so if you want to get offended by one of the members in the fat person 12 step program saying hey I'm fat and so are some of you (whoever chooses to be offended) and we should do better then I suppose you are going to have to get offended. Sorry, but nothing I have written is contrary to the WOW.

The only thing I am doing is trying to figure out why the church ignores this. 

A good read...:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/02/nourishing-our-bodies-and-our-spirits?lang=eng

Because there are tons of stuff the church leaves us to our own discretion on...  The problem isn't the church...  The problem is the members who think they know better then the church on what the church should focus on.

There are tons of members who think their particular "hobby horse" is more important then any one else's and they are quite put out that, God had not revealed to the leaders of the Church what they can see so clearly..   So in their rush to point out the "mote" in everyone else eye they ignore the "beam" in their own.

If there is something in your life that you feel you need to change... then do so...  But stop trying to pull everyone else along with you.

Edited by estradling75

How is, you won't lose your temple recommend over it equal to the church ignores this? The church teaches us to be healthy, take care of our bodies, and not overeat.

What you seem to be trying to force down everyone's throat is the idea that overeating ought to be equivalent to smoking or drinking and that anyone who does so -- ever -- should lose their temple recommends on the spot.

But that is a garbage idea for a myriad of reasons. The fact that it is a garbage idea and that the church is never going to take temple recommends away from fat people doesn't mean that the church doesn't encourage healthy lifestyles, eating, and exercise.

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has ever lost their temple recommend over too much diet coke. A fellow member told me I drink too much diet coke. I probably drink about 3 or 4 cans a day because I really really like the way it tastes (and no decaf coke does not do it for me). I admit I also like the way it wakes me up. I would give it up for The Lord or if there is any real significance to drinking lots of diet coke but I would not give it up if it is just culturally prohibited or even if it is merely unhealthy. What do you think?

I have not read all the responses, but I'm quite sure that many have stated that caffeine drinks other than tea and coffee are not prohibited by the WoW, so you won't lose your temple recommend.  Personally, I have no doubt that consumption of caffeinated beverages violates the spirit of the WoW.  I recommend you read this article from the Dec 2008 Ensign.  https://www.lds.org/ensign/2008/12/the-energy-drink-epidemic?lang=eng

• 2 months later...

I don't think so, but you could loose your mind! Just like caffeine the phenylalanine in the diet

products causes problems in the brain. The latter increases dopamine and decreases serotonin

which can cause mental illness and even schizophrenia in some people.

In section 89 verse 4 of D&C it talks about conspiring men in the last days destroying the food.

Like Big Pharma, Big Agriculture have conspiring men trying to destroy the souls of men by

destroying their brains. Unfortunately many LDS have been hooked, lined and sinkered into not only believing in these industries but up holding and fighting fellow saints for even mentioning these

problems.

However if you don't believe me about these conspiring men just read about Ezra Taft Benson he was probably one of the biggest conspiracy theorist of his era. Oh and not to forget Joseph Smith,

Brigham Young and many other church leaders who often quote these leaders.

I really think that you should try to stop drinking diet products that contain caffeine and

phenylalanine. Good Luck!

He'd probably want to know why I'm paying somebody in beer and cigs to help me work on my car instead of having the missionaries over so they can have an excuse to get greasy and learn about car repairs.

(And of course, the answer to his question is that profanity is far too important to the repair process.)

Guest MormonGator

He'd probably want to know why I'm paying somebody in beer and cigs to help me work on my car instead of having the missionaries over so they can have an excuse to get greasy and learn about car repairs.

(And of course, the answer to his question is that profanity is far too important to the repair process.)

Because the missionaries aren't experts in car repairs. I don't want them working on my brake pads, because I don't want to crash and die. Nor do I want to crash into a family of four on the way to Disney. You have that responsibility too.  I leave it to the paid professionals.

I have some good contractor friends who work on my house. They asked to be paid in cigars and scotch. Sure I did. Saved me a ton of money. Got them to do the job faster too. Afterwards we chilled out on my deck. Sure, I was drinking just a Perrier, but I can't ask them to live by my rules any more than they would ask me to live by theirs. 

(Seriously, these are great guys. Wonderful Greek-orthodox family. Coming down to Gator country to visit soon!!!) 

Edited by MormonGator

Because the missionaries aren't experts in car repairs. I don't want them working on my brake pads, because I don't want to crash and die.

Nobody works on my brakes but me. OTOH, there are plenty of "extra hands" tasks that are pretty hard to screw up in most car repairs. (Even a brake repair; much easier with someone else to mash the pedal.)

Guest MormonGator

Nobody works on my brakes but me. OTOH, there are plenty of "extra hands" tasks that are pretty hard to screw up in most car repairs. (Even a brake repair; much easier with someone else to mash the pedal.)

It's amazing you can do that. I can barely pump my own gasoline. 

How is, you won't lose your temple recommend over it equal to the church ignores this? The church teaches us to be healthy, take care of our bodies, and not overeat.

What you seem to be trying to force down everyone's throat is the idea that overeating ought to be equivalent to smoking or drinking and that anyone who does so -- ever -- should lose their temple recommends on the spot.

But that is a garbage idea for a myriad of reasons. The fact that it is a garbage idea and that the church is never going to take temple recommends away from fat people doesn't mean that the church doesn't encourage healthy lifestyles, eating, and exercise.

I agree, think about the detrimental affects that smoking and drinking in particular have on the family unit. This likely is why they had to go/become part of the recommend process/policy change regarding the WOW.

The WOW has evolved since the revelation was revealed and more might still be revealed, but I don't ever see a bishop asking you what your BMI is when you go to get a temple recommend. The other stuff is a yes or a no, you either do it or you don't.

So, could I lose my temple recommend for helping NightSG with car repairs?

It's amazing you can do that. I can barely pump my own gasoline. 

So, could I lose my temple recommend for drinking my own gasoline? Errm, pumping.  I meant pumping...    :ph34r:

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator

So, could I lose my temple recommend for helping NightSG with car repairs?

So, could I lose my temple recommend for drinking my own gasoline? Errm, pumping.  I meant pumping... :ph34r:

LOL!!! That's awesome.