Can you lose temple recommend over too much diet coke?

To off set my near excessive consumption of diet soda, I mix it with a bit of non diet soda. So, that way some nosy and more righteous member can't judge me for drinking too much diet soda.

When I drink soda that's how I have always consumed it .... Mix it half Pepsi and half diet Pepsi. When I really feel crazy I put a couple of hits of Mt Dew in it. Lol

I am still absolutely baffled by the obsession of (some) members with the pop (I grew up in the Midwest. It's pop) consumption of other members.  Even occasional or moderate consumption.

I don't think anyone has ever argued that pop is a healthy beverage (although you still see diet pop listed in menu plans for weight-loss diets).  But the obsession and judgmentalism  associated with this beverage is just bizarre.

There were several women in my last ward who were very judgmental and just plain rude about the subject.  One of these women ate more ice cream in a week than I do in a year, yet the fact that I ordered a Coke when we went out to eat once....no temple recommend for you and off to outer darkness you go!

I suppose I should hope that no one ever finds out that I sometimes made Kool-Aid in the summer for my daughter when she was young.

What I believe Vort meant to say is that if we completely lived the Word of Wisdom all soda pop would be out EXCLUDING Mountain Dew.  Yes, I am pretty sure that is what he was really saying if you read inbetween in-between the lines (that really tiny white space within white space and possibly even within that white space, oh ya, I found true meaning).

Let's be real though, if we all lived without rebellion our eating habits, drinking habits, entertainment habits would be very different.  Sorry ladies, no sexy, long haired, skinny Beatles (boy bands) -- and pop singles break offs "if you could only imagine... a world without religion" wouldn't be in our list of keepers (You will have to faint for a different crowd). Sorry ladies, Friends, wouldn't be in the list of keepers either (all that promiscuity, friends loves, cohabitation, babies out of wedlock, you know the kind of principles we "praise and give good report").  Sorry gentlemen, Baywatch, is out also. 

:P

I have now gone nine days with no caffeinated diet coke. I had a headache on day 2 but no other issues. I am using a little decaf diet coke which I have no problems drinking at all.

Normally I think that caffeinated diet coke is not an issue... It is in normal circumstances a lifestyle choice. That said in my case I was drinking at least a liter a day and I was doing it a little for the energy kick in the morning, which i started to think is dangerously close to drinking coffee. I am glad I gave the stuff up.

I did discuss with my wife. We both feel that it is good I gave the stuff up. When I asked if I should discuss with the bishop, my wife gave me a funny look and told me to "be normal", and I personally do not feel unworthy. But I do think it is good I gave up the stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has ever lost their temple recommend over too much diet coke. A fellow member told me I drink too much diet coke. I probably drink about 3 or 4 cans a day because I really really like the way it tastes (and no decaf coke does not do it for me). I admit I also like the way it wakes me up. I would give it up for The Lord or if there is any real significance to drinking lots of diet coke but I would not give it up if it is just culturally prohibited or even if it is merely unhealthy. What do you think?

putting yourself in the hospital, using up your money so that you are left with a much greater temptation to use your money on things other than tithing is a possibility.

excesses and giving into lusts generally don't lead to good things, and bad things tend to lead to worse things in my experience.

no the act of almost overdosing on soda probably won't keep you from a recommend in itself... consequences down the road might however.

Or a bishop may get a strong impression, vision or whispering not to give the OK that's always possible too- but you won't know that till you go have the interview. Personally the question is one i'd ask the bishop or stake president.

Being a diabetic I stay informed regarding *Diet*, *No Sugar*, *Sugar Free* foods. No Sugar and Sugar Free are indeed free of sugar. Granulated sugar, but they are full of High Fructose which is toxic to Diabetics.

So are the diet drinks made sweet by Aspartame. Here is an in-depth article on this subject.  https://rhondagessner.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/a-killer-in-your-fridge-sweet-poison-a-must-read/  

And that Mountain Dew that mostly LDS guzzle by the gallons, well there is fire retardant in it. http://www.rodalewellness.com/diet-and-fitness-news/gatorade-now-without-flame-retardants  

Have a family member or friend who is diabetic? Ask them to test your blood sugar, then drink a 12 oz. bottle/can of soda pop. 15 minutes after you finish the pop, test your blood sugar again. 

I don't like Truvia, it takes twice as much as Splenda (and costs more) to sweeten my homemade lemon ade. (TrueLemon dehydrated lemon juice, ice water and Splenda). Aspartame gives me gut ache, diarrhea (all day foaming kind), headaches, joint aches. Was drinking Mi0 - after one little bottle of that stuff (ingested over 5 days worth of drinking) I knew that dying would be a welcome blessing. 

I had been told by the sister I VTaught about Aspartame and how it turns into formaldehyde in your body, and the damage it does to your organs. She is a Home Critical Care Nurse, and had just returned from a week long medical conference/work shop. I started reading the ingredients in ALL of the *Diet* products I consumed. 

If the reason you are not consuming Pepsi, Coke, some rootbeers and orange soda pops is because of the caffine - then quit drinking Mt. Dew and power drinks  https://www.google.com/search?q=power+drinks&rlz=1C2PRFE_enUS648US648&biw=1920&bih=945&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDcQsARqFQoTCPn8wuLsqMcCFYmViAodTaICkA  they have more caffine than a cup of coffee!

I admit I also like the way it wakes me up. 

Want a drink that is going to wake you up in the morning? Drink unsweetened Apple Juice. Or better yet, eat an apple. 

Once you get off the high sugar intake, caffeine, aspartame, & excess starch consumption - you will find that you will go to bed earlier, sleep better, longer and wake refreshed, without the need to "jolt" your system awake. 

Being a diabetic I stay informed regarding *Diet*, *No Sugar*, *Sugar Free* foods. No Sugar and Sugar Free are indeed free of sugar. Granulated sugar, but they are full of High Fructose which is toxic to Diabetics.

This is incorrect. It is illegal in the US to sell something as "sugar free" if it contains fructose, which is a sugar.

This is incorrect. It is illegal in the US to sell something as "sugar free" if it contains fructose, which is a sugar.

No it isn't. Check out the labels Vort. I have. I do. It says "sugar free" yet it still contains fructose. 

No it isn't. Check out the labels Vort. I have. I do. It says "sugar free" yet it still contains fructose. 

I have not been able to find any such examples. Can you give me a specific example?

Fructose is sugar. In fact, granulated table sugar is sucrose, a disaccharide composed of a molecule of fructose bonded to a molecule of glucose. So I find it difficult to believe that one could list a product as "sugar-free" when it contains appreciable amounts of fructose.

...That said in my case I was drinking at least a liter a day and I was doing it a little for the energy kick in the morning, which i started to think is dangerously close to drinking coffee....

Do you think the WofW says not to drink coffee because it will give you a kick in the morning?

This is a bad comparison since there are health benefits with drinking coffee and the only thing soda pop can offer is hydration.

M.

Sounds like a wise choice to me. From an article written for our youth:

One college professor who was not a member of the Church would delight in asking an LDS student if this or that substance was “against the Word of Wisdom.” When the student would respond yes, the professor would quickly list other substances that are “just as bad” and question why they were not also “on the list.”

Finally, one day the student said, “I make some choices in my life because God has given me commandments. I make other choices because He has given me a brain.” The student was correct. Everything we should or should not eat and drink is not listed in the revelations and every possible wise or unwise choice is not spelled out in the pages of For the Strength of Youth. The Lord has said, “It is not meet that I should command in all things” (D&C 58:26).

Do you think the WofW says not to drink coffee because it will give you a kick in the morning?

This is a bad comparison since there are health benefits with drinking coffee and the only thing soda pop can offer is hydration.

M.

Maureen, I think you mean dehydration. http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/prevention-wellness/food-nutrition/nutrients/hydration-why-its-so-important.html  It removes the water from your body.

No, I mean hydrate.

Can Help Hydrate

According to MedlinePlus, you can consume sodas as a form of hydration to meet the recommended six to eight 8-ounce glasses of fluids a day. However, water is the ideal source of hydration, and sodas that contain caffeine may not be the best hydration source because caffeine is a natural diuretic. However, because soft drinks also contain large amounts of water, they more than balance out the effects of caffeine.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/493032-are-there-any-health-benefits-for-soda/

M.