Can you lose temple recommend over too much diet coke?

By implication, you believe someone who drank nothing but soda would die after 3-5 days -- or sooner? This is clearly, and obviously, not true, or I would certainly be dead long ago. ;)

No it isn't. Check out the labels Vort. I have. I do. It says "sugar free" yet it still contains fructose. 

I have not been able to find any such examples. Can you give me a specific example?

Fructose is sugar. In fact, granulated table sugar is sucrose, a disaccharide composed of a molecule of fructose bonded to a molecule of glucose. So I find it difficult to believe that one could list a product as "sugar-free" when it contains appreciable amounts of fructose.

Yes, Sugar-Free can contain fructose or any sugar.  For example - Sugar-Free Smuckers Strawberry Jam's first ingredient is Strawberries.  Strawberries contain 0.6g of fructose per 12g serving.  Therefore, unless they GMO'd the strawberries to remove the fructose out of it, having strawberries as the first ingredient of a Sugar-Free Smucker's Strawberry jam implies it contains fructose.

So, how does it pass Sugar-Free labeling?  Sugar-free labeling can be legally stamped on products that contain less than 0.5g of sugars per serving.  Since the serving size of a Smucker's jam contains waaaay less than 12grams of strawberries and there are no other sugar sources in the other ingredients in the jam, then Sugar-Free Smucker's strawberry jam can be labeled sugar-free.

Edited by anatess

No, I mean hydrate.

Can Help Hydrate

According to MedlinePlus, you can consume sodas as a form of hydration to meet the recommended six to eight 8-ounce glasses of fluids a day. However, water is the ideal source of hydration, and sodas that contain caffeine may not be the best hydration source because caffeine is a natural diuretic. However, because soft drinks also contain large amounts of water, they more than balance out the effects of caffeine.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/493032-are-there-any-health-benefits-for-soda/

M. 

Maureen, any soda - regular, diet, caffeinated, caffeine free, never had caffeine, etc. dehydrates you.   http://www.rodalewellness.com/health/soda-infographic  I know this first hand. My oldest sister drank only diet sodas. The only water she put in her mouth was to rinse the toothpaste out.

Thanksgiving 2003 she ended up in the hospital for severe dehydration. Three weeks later the Dr ordered her OFF all sodas. As a diabetic, weighing just under 500 pounds, he told her she could drink 4 oz of unsweetened juice a day and she had to drink a gallon of plain water a day. Since she lived in Seattle, she was to drink tap water. Bottled water contains no minerals at all. One needs the natural occurring minerals in water. 

Once she got used to drinking water, she began to lose weight, her skin gained elasticity, and she gained back her clear and coherent thoughts/brain. 

Personally: once I got off the regular sodas I lost weight. Then when I quit the diet sodas (carbonated drinks), MiO, Ice = all drinks containing Aspartame  - the gut aches, foaming burning liquid diarrhea ended and the sluggishness of my thought/brain ended. My blood sugars lowered by low double digits nearly every day. After several months my cravings for carbs ended. 

If there is a new *sugar free*, or diet food that I want to try, I look it up on the internet, read its nutritional and ingredient lists. Hauling around my magnifying glass as I shop is a real pain, especially if the container is really small - like the MiO bottle. That one I can't read with my Mag Glass anyway. 

Somewhere my husband read that for every 12 oz of carbonated drink you consume, you will need to drink 36 to 48 oz of plain, bottled water to replace the water that it robbed your body of. Also once off the carbonated drinks, my skin became more pliable, supple. 

Regarding those studies that claim caffeine is good for the body - I would like to know where I can find out who backs these financially. Just saying. 

I no longer follow or believe the American Diabetes Association as they are funded largely by Monsanto. Now the UK Diabetes Association is NOT. Even my Diabetic Counselor uses only the UK Diabetes Association facts and guidelines. 

Edited by Iggy

Maureen, any soda - regular, diet, caffeinated, caffeine free, never had caffeine, etc. dehydrates you.   http://www.rodalewellness.com/health/soda-infographic  I know this first hand. My oldest sister drank only diet sodas. The only water she put in her mouth was to rinse the toothpaste out.

Thanksgiving 2003 she ended up in the hospital for severe dehydration. Three weeks later the Dr ordered her OFF all sodas. As a diabetic, weighing just under 500 pounds, he told her she could drink 4 oz of unsweetened juice a day and she had to drink a gallon of plain water a day. Since she lived in Seattle, she was to drink tap water. Bottled water contains no minerals at all. One needs the natural occurring minerals in water. 

I seriously doubt she got up to 500lbs just drinking soda, and while I'm sure that as a diabetic stopping helped her greatly. Soda drinks were not at fault on this one.

I seriously doubt she got up to 500lbs just drinking soda, and while I'm sure that as a diabetic stopping helped her greatly. Soda drinks were not at fault on this one.

I'm sure you would know.  You only have water for brushing your teeth, but on the other hand you only drink diet soda.....   lol..

Seriously - no she didn't, she drank and ate herself to that excessive weight. BUT that is not the point of my post. The soda drinks WERE the fault of her dehydration. You were not there to witness it. 

Seriously - no she didn't, she drank and ate herself to that excessive weight. BUT that is not the point of my post. The soda drinks WERE the fault of her dehydration. You were not there to witness it. 

I was there to witness a lot of things that I still can't pinpoint the actual causes of.  Unless you were crawling around in her digestive tract, you only saw effects that were several orders removed from any actual cause.

And frankly, using a 500lb diabetic as an example of anything other than "stuff I can't pick up" is cherry picking pretty hard.

I was there to witness a lot of things that I still can't pinpoint the actual causes of.  Unless you were crawling around in her digestive tract, you only saw effects that were several orders removed from any actual cause.

And frankly, using a 500lb diabetic as an example of anything other than "stuff I can't pick up" is cherry picking pretty hard.

You were in her home and visited her in her hospital room? Really? I don't recognize you from the picture you have.

My 77-year-old mom got put in the hospital a few weeks ago, because she was working in her garden for hours in high heat. Then she'd go in and drink a bunch of diet Dr. Pepper on ice. She ended up having stroke symptoms and going to the ER, where they diagnosed her with dehydration. The doctor there told her in no uncertain terms that soda does not count toward hydration, and she needed to be drinking water. 

Every athlete knows that you don't drink soda to hydrate.

So, for example, if you're running a marathon or playing a soccer match, drinking soda before and during the run/game is going to be working against you because it inhibits fluid absorption.  You may drink soda at the last miles or the last minutes of the match when your energy is spent and you need the sugar boost to push you through to the end.

Guest MormonGator

Every athlete knows that you don't drink soda to hydrate.

I'm a horrible athlete who was cut from literally every team I tried to join. 

However, I've taken American Kenpo for over twenty years and my masters have told me to never drink soda before a workout or a competition 

It is possible that soda doesn't hydrate as well as straight water. It's not obvious that soda doesn't hydrate "at all", or worse, actually, literally dehydrates, as in the sum total of water in your body after soda is actually less than before you drank it. The implication is that not only can the body absorb a literal 0% of the water from the soda, but that the other aspects of soda also suck water from the body. And that's just ridiculous and plainly false.

Moreover, what is it, specifically, about the soda that supposedly makes it so the body cannot use the water therein? The caffeine? The sugar? The carbonation? So what about drinking water but taking in those other substances? By this thinking if you drink sparkling water, eat a donut, and have a cup of coffee, you'll die from no water.

It's plainly obvious that soda hydrates. It may not hydrate well*, but that is different than saying it flat out dehydrates, which is pure, unsubstantiated rubbish.

*There are indications that this may also be pure rubbish too (http://exerciseandnutritionworks.com/2012/01/do-coffee-tea-and-soda-hydrate-or-dehydrate/). Granted, as they point out, the study only involved 18 people, but at least it's a study instead of just a random trendy hypothesis based on nothing but speculation and what-some-sports-trainer-told-me.

It is possible that soda doesn't hydrate as well as straight water. It's not obvious that soda doesn't hydrate "at all", or worse, actually, literally dehydrates, as in the sum total of water in your body after soda is actually less than before you drank it. The implication is that not only can the body absorb a literal 0% of the water from the soda, but that the other aspects of soda also suck water from the body. And that's just ridiculous and plainly false.

Moreover, what is it, specifically, about the soda that supposedly makes it so the body cannot use the water therein? The caffeine? The sugar? The carbonation? So what about drinking water but taking in those other substances? By this thinking if you drink sparkling water, eat a donut, and have a cup of coffee, you'll die from no water.

It's plainly obvious that soda hydrates. It may not hydrate well*, but that is different than saying it flat out dehydrates, which is pure, unsubstantiated rubbish.

*There are indications that this may also be pure rubbish too (http://exerciseandnutritionworks.com/2012/01/do-coffee-tea-and-soda-hydrate-or-dehydrate/). Granted, as they point out, the study only involved 18 people, but at least it's a study instead of just a random trendy hypothesis based on nothing but speculation and what-some-sports-trainer-told-me.

From my days as a college athlete and from my brother being on the Philippine National Soccer Team, we learn that you don't drink beverages (including sports drinks) with more than 7% carbs content.  When your body is in intense motion it heats up and your intestines slow down and your gut empties at a very slow rate.  Drinking a high carb beverage will cause the carbs, fructose, sucrose, etc to sit in your gut because the process to convert it to usable glucose slows down.  This causes the athlete to not be able to replenish the fluids faster because the brain is still telling the athlete his stomach is full.  Forcing more fluids down will cause stomach upset.  This would cause an athlete to slow down fluid replacement thereby causing dehydration as the fluid secretion becomes faster than fluid intake.

But then, that's athletes.  A body in normal sedate activity in a tropical climate uses 5 liters of fluid per day.  Athletes in action can go through 5 liters in under 2 hours.

From my days as a college athlete and from my brother being on the Philippine National Soccer Team, we learn that you don't drink beverages (including sports drinks) with more than 7% carbs content.  When your body is in intense motion it heats up and your intestines slow down and your gut empties at a very slow rate.  Drinking a high carb beverage will cause the carbs, fructose, sucrose, etc to sit in your gut because the process to convert it to usable glucose slows down.  This causes the athlete to not be able to replenish the fluids faster because the brain is still telling the athlete his stomach is full.  Forcing more fluids down will cause stomach upset.  This would cause an athlete to slow down fluid replacement thereby causing dehydration as the fluid secretion becomes faster than fluid intake.

But then, that's athletes.  A body in normal sedate activity in a tropical climate uses 5 liters of fluid per day.  Athletes in action can go through 5 liters in under 2 hours.

An athlete is exhausted and dehydrated, and still has ten miles to go. He has a choice of drinking sugary soda pop or nothing at all. Which is the better choice? It's obvious to me that, though soda pop is suboptimal, it's much better than nothing for a thirsty, dehydrated runner.

An athlete is exhausted and dehydrated, and still has ten miles to go. He has a choice of drinking sugary soda pop or nothing at all. Which is the better choice? It's obvious to me that, though soda pop is suboptimal, it's much better than nothing for a thirsty, dehydrated runner.

Only for the next 2 miles.  The next 8 miles you're dead weight.  Fluid is about gone and your gut is still full and what drop of fluid you got left your body is trying desperately to use to break down the stuff in your stomach, so you can't sweat... drinking more soda will make you puke.  Your body will not move as the effects of dehydration wrecks havoc in your system.  It's much better to stop running (you won't have a choice anyway) and wait until your body cools down and your stomach empties so you can drink more soda to get you through the next 2 miles... rinse and repeat.  If this was a race, might as well sit down and wait for your coach to buy something better than soda.  You're not gonna win anything.

Edited by anatess

• 1 month later...

I see lots of replies explaining Church policies and declaring the definitive answer to your query.....and I think they are all wrong.

A Bishop is a Judge in Zion. He is called and set apart to excersize that judgement on behalf of those in his Ward boundaries. In that vast majority of cases Diet Coke has nothing to do with a Temple Recommend. But somewhere out there is an individual for whom that just isn't the case and it's his Bishop's responsibility to recognize that, council with him, and help him address that issue before he issues him a recommend.

The Church gives guidelines and instruction but the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the individual called. In the case of a Recommend that's the Bishop and Stake President and he may be guided by the Spirit to withhold a recommend for whatever reason, not limited to questions in the interview.

On my mission in the Dominican Republic we used soda a great deal to hydrate, and indeed were instructed to do so as needed if purified water was unavailable.  While the soda may be suboptimal, you do a lot better on soda for hydration than you do with water that is going to cause diarrhea so severe that you can't absorb water fast enough to not die of dehydration.  According to several horror stories told us in the MTC, that had happened.  There were also stories of permanent disability caused by some of the various critters living in some of the water

Soda is a safe source of water.  It has to be pure water or strange things can happen.  In the MTC they also told us of an experiment where soda was deliberately laced with various parasites and pathogens.  24 hours later everything was dead. There are 2 takeaways here.  One, soda can't be that good for you.  Two, if there isn't any clean water, you can get something from soda. 

I see lots of replies explaining Church policies and declaring the definitive answer to your query.....and I think they are all wrong.

A Bishop is a Judge in Zion. He is called and set apart to excersize that judgement on behalf of those in his Ward boundaries. In that vast majority of cases Diet Coke has nothing to do with a Temple Recommend. But somewhere out there is an individual for whom that just isn't the case and it's his Bishop's responsibility to recognize that, council with him, and help him address that issue before he issues him a recommend.

The Church gives guidelines and instruction but the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the individual called. In the case of a Recommend that's the Bishop and Stake President and he may be guided by the Spirit to withhold a recommend for whatever reason, not limited to questions in the interview.

How could a bishop know if you drank to much diet coke unless you told him? How much is to much?

There is a reason that they stick to the prescribed questions pertaining to worthiness

How could a bishop know if you drank to much diet coke unless you told him? How much is to much?

There is a reason that they stick to the prescribed questions pertaining to worthiness

I just might tell him. Maybe my mother told him. Most likely the Holy Ghost prompted him to ask me about it. And, yes, they stick to the proscribed questions, except when they don't.

I love how this morphed into a discussion about whether soda dehydrates you or not. Now to completely morph the thread I've always wondered why it is sea water is said to dehydrate you.

I know, duh salt right? But I understand our bodies natural salinity is about the same as sea water, so doesn't it stand to reason that sea water would simply keep us at a normal level of water, since our body will become more salty as we lose water.... or do we lose salt at the same rate as we lose water? So the sea water never has a chance to hydrate us since our salinity is the same....

At the very least it seems like it could stave off total utter dehydration.

:P

I love how this morphed into a discussion about whether soda dehydrates you or not. Now to completely morph the thread I've always wondered why it is sea water is said to dehydrate you.

I know, duh salt right? But I understand our bodies natural salinity is about the same as sea water, so doesn't it stand to reason that sea water would simply keep us at a normal level of water, since our body will become more salty as we lose water.... or do we lose salt at the same rate as we lose water? So the sea water never has a chance to hydrate us since our salinity is the same....

At the very least it seems like it could stave off total utter dehydration.

:P

The important quantity would probably be the salinity of urine, because that shows how efficient your kidneys are at eliminating waste. I think the salinity of urine is not much more than half that of seawater, so your kidneys wouldn't have a chance of eliminating the salt without using a lot of your body's water to do it.

Heres how the WOW really works...

No coffee, no tea, no tobacco...................NEVER

Also not supposed to eat in excess which would cover the excess we have at church in terms of desserts and dinners with people lining up for thirds, fourths etc, but we wont talk about that part as it is essentially overlooked pretty much without exception.

Diet coke?? Well it does have caffeine in it and I'd have to say drinking several a day would be just a slight overindulgence. It is bad for you. Caffeine is not prohibited by the WOW.

Try energy drinks as an alternative. The church posted a magazine article stating how terrible they are, but stopped short of saying not to use them. Thusly they are OK. They make coffee, tea and your diet coke look like a nodoz compared to crystal meth.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2008/12/the-energy-drink-epidemic?lang=eng

For the record- energy drinks are ridiculously stupid to drink. 

No coffee, no tea, no tobacco...................NEVER

You missed one.

Also not supposed to eat in excess which would cover the excess we have at church in terms of desserts and dinners with people lining up for thirds, fourths etc,

Incorrect.