Church re-evaluating Scouting Program

pam

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-re-evaluating-scouting-program

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the following statement today after a vote on a policy change by the Boy Scouts of America National Executive Board to admit openly gay leaders:

“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is deeply troubled by today’s vote by the Boy Scouts of America National Executive Board. In spite of a request to delay the vote, it was scheduled at a time in July when members of the Church’s governing councils are out of their offices and do not meet. When the leadership of the Church resumes its regular schedule of meetings in August, the century-long association with Scouting will need to be examined. The Church has always welcomed all boys to its Scouting units regardless of sexual orientation. However, the admission of openly gay leaders is inconsistent with the doctrines of the Church and what have traditionally been the values of the Boy Scouts of America.

Was just reading this before coming here. Very interesting. Curious to see what they do.

Makes me wonder if they will end their relationship with the  BSA and come up with their own program.  But yes...will be interesting to see what they do.

I've thought we ought to quit paying BSA through the nose and do our own thing, anyhow. But I know a few guys who would be pretty sad to see us cut ties with BSA. I agree, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Duty to God has been around for several years now. I don't have sons or anything but I know if I do they are likely to get more out of that program than Scouting, even if the Church were somehow able to keep it's ties with the BSA. My young cousin is really into the scouting program but looks forward to more focus being placed on the Duty to God in the future. 

Duty to God has been around for several years now. I don't have sons or anything but I know if I do they are likely to get more out of that program than Scouting, even if the Church were somehow able to keep it's ties with the BSA. My young cousin is really into the scouting program but looks forward to more focus being placed on the Duty to God in the future. 

I've been involved in the scouting program for longer than I can remember, and am currently acting as the COR in our ward. 
And I would be happy to walk away from BSA---the sooner the better. 

I believe the current YM program with an emphasis on "Duty to God" would satisfactorily replace BSA, and in point of fact, for varsity age boys in our stake it already has.

We have just three Deacons (in the two wards in town) out of a dozen eligible, who are attending scout camp this week. 
For a number of different reasons we have seen interest in BSA decline substantially over the past two years. There is absolutely ZERO interest among our varsity age boys. 
And yet our YM program is thriving. We have regular service projects and activities with the boys planning and conducting them through the Deacon,Teacher and Priest Quorum Presidencies, and we spend a good deal of time focusing on "Duty to God".  

In the last year we have carried out at least one service project per month, hiked to the top of Wheeler Peak in Nevada, made four temple trips for baptisms, had two trap shoots, held a birthday party for a man who turned 100 but had no family, cooked and served a Thanksgiving dinner to widows and widowers in town, and held numerous smaller activities on Mutual night and some Saturdays. We are currently planning a hike down Hole-In-The-Rock (made famous by Mormon Pioneers crossing the Colorado).

I can tell you in no uncertain terms, that at least as far as two Mormon wards in the Utah desert go; we won't miss BSA in the least.
Edited by Capitalist_Oinker

There was also this article in the Deseret News: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865633343/LDS-Church-relationship-with-Boy-Scouts-in-doubt-may-create-new-international-program.html.

I have mixed feelings if the LDS church leaves Scouting. On one hand the scouting program has a number of down sides such as unnecessary costs, a more worldly focus, and a large amount of paper work. On the other hand they have a program and award (Eagle) that is well recognized, a very good structure in place to train leaders how to build boys, and support of many community sponsors. If the church puts out a new program I believe they will be successful on a number of fronts but not so successful in others. For example, here is how I see the above concerns resolved with an LDS program:

Costs: I expect that costs will be greatly reduced with more service missionaries/volunteers and fewer paid leaders.

Focus: Clearly the church will have a more spiritual program, but I suspect it will be less skills oriented.

Paperwork: This should also be greatly reduced.

Award: This will suffer as far as recognition goes and perhaps importance to a YM and their parents.

Structure: I also expect this to suffer. Typically training is minimal if any in the church.

Community Support: This will likely be reduced since the program will be religious in nature. 

There are also some up sides when it comes to a world wide program for members. But I can't help but be concerned when I see the YW program and compared to the YM/Scouting program. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me the YM program offers more to the youth then the YW program.

I think the key purpose of the policy change is the "not legally defensible"; meaning it costs too much to keep fighting lawsuits. I think the Church benefits by associating with an organization no longer being sued, versus going it alone and bearing the brunt of the force certain to be perpetrated by political action groups.

...a more worldly focus.

This is the reason why I love the Scouting program hand in hand with the Priesthood.  I love how the Church develops the total boy living in the world and not just his spiritual development.  This is the same thing with Relief Society.  RS activities are tailored towards both spiritual and worldly stuff - like how to clean a house or make brownies out of beans and all that stuff.

I will miss the BSA program if the Church doesn't come up with a similar program.   Duty to God, in my opinion, just does not go far enough to prepare boys for life.

Here is an article that came out in the DesNews yesterday:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865633343/LDS-Church-relationship-with-Boy-Scouts-in-doubt-may-create-new-international-program.html

It mentions the church may come out with an international program to replace the BSA.

I think the key purpose of the policy change is the "not legally defensible"; meaning it costs too much to keep fighting lawsuits.

It was very "legally defensible". Scores of online gay-rights activists assured us of this--that the recent SCOTUS decision would have *nothing* to do with the rights of private entities to set their own membership policies. The simple fact is that BSA national didn't *want* to defend it.

Significantly more troublesome than the mere presence of openly gay men at BSA events, is the fact that BSA squelched a key teaching about sexual morality merely because it was (apparently) the politically/financially convenient thing to do. We need a program that will teach our boys to show moral courage in the face of an increasingly hostile world. BSA is no longer that program.

That said: from what I can gather, Duty to God (in its current form) and Scouting are not even in the same ballpark, at least from an activities standpoint. Withdrawing from BSA will leave a void in the caliber of our YM program which is going to have to be filled somehow. My hope is that as we fill this void, we'll learn that the Church *can* run a decent youth activity program on its own; which will in turn make for a more robust and outdoors-oriented YW activity program as well.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

This new policy allows openly active gays (e.g. same-sex marriage) to participate not only as local leaders, BUT ALSO AS LEADERS ON THE DISTRICT AND NATIONAL LEVEL.  It is just a matter of time that policies will be crafted and approved by these new leaders which are contrary to the teachings and interests of the church.

Regarding litigation, this is another reason to leave.  The BSA is a non-profit, subject to litigation, but when the church creates an internal organization, it will be covered by the same religious exemptions as the church.

BSA, it was nice knowing you but it's time to go.  Surely you knew when you adopted this policy that the LDS church would leave -- "you can choose your own local leaders" is simply a fig leaf for the radical change that is overtaking your organization.

Edited by cdowis

"Withdrawing from BSA will leave a void in the caliber of our YM program which is going to have to be filled somehow. My hope is that as we fill this void, we'll learn that the Church *can* run a decent youth activity program on its own; which will in turn make for a more robust and outdoors-oriented YW activity program as well. "

An interesting question.  How much of the scouting program in the church is dependent on the BSA?  The boys will still go camping, hiking, etc.  The church organization will basically stay the same.  As I see it (a non-scouting adult), the void will include handbooks, merit badges, and official scout camps, scout uniforms, leadership training, and universally recognized ranks such as Eagle Scout.

I suspect there will be a multi-year transition period and we will remain in the BSA until the church is able to fill in that void.  And, of course, we already have many many experienced scout leaders to help make the new program successful.

Edited by cdowis

I suspect there will be a multi-year transition period and we will remain in the BSA until the church is able to fill in that void.  And, of course, we already have many many experienced scout leaders to help make the new program successful.

Surely the Church leadership has been planning for this contingency (or, we may say, eventuality) for years or even decades. Rolling out the plan and working out the kinks will be an ongoing project, of course, but I daresay it will take weeks, not years, to produce an alternate YM program if the Church chooses to take that route.

That said: from what I can gather, Duty to God (in its current form) and Scouting are not even in the same ballpark, at least from an activities standpoint. Withdrawing from BSA will leave a void in the caliber of our YM program which is going to have to be filled somehow. My hope is that as we fill this void, we'll learn that the Church *can* run a decent youth activity program on its own; which will in turn make for a more robust and outdoors-oriented YW activity program as well.

I 100% agree with this; I've attended other community scouts vs. church scout programs and IMO in general church scouts doesn't hold a candle to the community scout programs-they are very well run with enthusiastic leaders, parents, activities etc. Duty to God can't hold a candle to the BSA program (Duty to God is a good program, but it is pretty easy)

Make no mistake there will be a void a very big void; I hope that whatever program fills it is modeled off of BSA as it has been IMO one of the best structured programs for young boys to teach them life skills.

For those whom might be interested in getting a sense of scale on the impact of the LDS on the BSA

http://www.scouting.org/About/FactSheets/operating_orgs.aspx

This is what I don't get; LDS + Catholics + Baptists = 37% of the total membership. I can't believe that with 37% of the membership, that those 3 groups couldn't get together to convince 50%+1 to go against this.

Once the initial resolution passed 2 years ago, I hope the Church started fighting this, b/c if they didn't they lost the war by not looking ahead to the next fight. I sure hope there was a lot of politicking in the past 2 years on the Church's side (we will probably never know) b/c if they didn't- someone screwed up.

This new policy allows openly active gays (e.g. same-sex marriage) to participate not only as local leaders, BUT ALSO AS LEADERS ON THE DISTRICT AND NATIONAL LEVEL.  It is just a matter of time that policies will be crafted and approved by these new leaders which are contrary to the teachings and interests of the church.

At which time, no one associated with Scouting will be able to honestly state that they are not a member of an organization whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I wonder if any other churches have made any sort of statement.

Southern Baptists were supporting individual congregations who wanted to cut ties to BSA back in 2013 in favor of their Royal Ambassadors program.  http://www.advocate.com/youth/2013/06/12/southern-baptists-ok-quitting-boy-scouts

This is what I don't get; LDS + Catholics + Baptists = 37% of the total membership. I can't believe that with 37% of the membership, that those 3 groups couldn't get together to convince 50%+1 to go against this.

Once the initial resolution passed 2 years ago, I hope the Church started fighting this, b/c if they didn't they lost the war by not looking ahead to the next fight. I sure hope there was a lot of politicking in the past 2 years on the Church's side (we will probably never know) b/c if they didn't- someone screwed up.

The same way that SSM got voted into law by the Supreme Court.  Strength in numbers does not apply here.

The same way that SSM got voted into law by the Supreme Court.  Strength in numbers does not apply here.

Yeap .  .I'm just really po'ed about the whole thing.  I'm as libertarian as they come (I'd say I'm the most libertarian here :-) ), but this just really ticks me off. Taking an organization that I hold  held dear and destroying it; just sickening.

Their movement isn't about live and let live it's about forcing everyone else to hold their views. It's about changing the very foundation and definition of life.

From the resolution:

"WHEREAS, it is the mission of the Boy Scouts of America to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law:"

and

"The Boy Scouts of America affirms that sexual relations between adults should be moral, honorable, committed, and respectful. Adult Scout leaders should reflect these values in their personal and public lives so as to be proper role models for youth"

If that is the case the the only moral action for a homosexual is to be celibate; yet that's a farce-there are extremely few individuals who make the claim they are homosexual and are celibate. I maintain 100% that sexuality is taught and by allowing homosexuals into scouting they will be allowed to teach and demonstrate that their perversion is moral. While it may not be explicitly taught, so much of what children learn is the unspoken actions and conduct.  The end effect of this is to teach that homosexual relations is moral.

Edited by yjacket

I honestly don't know that much about the Duty to God program, but it can hardly be any less worthwhile than the Personal Progress program, can it? It was a little easier than I thought necessary when I went through it but it was hardly the only thing that the Church provided to enrich my life and fill my free time while in high school. I realize that the Eagle Scout rank is something recognizable to the rest of the world, and that our young men will miss out on being able to pursue that particular accolade will in some ways be a setback. But women have been "making do" with personal progress for a long time (though I don't think we're missing out on anything) and I am positive that however the Duty to God program is expanded or enhanced to fill the gap, it will be more than adequate. Minus the ceremonies, recognition, and titles.. but again, Young Women have been doing just fine without those things for quite some time, and barely seem to notice.

I honestly don't know that much about the Duty to God program, but it can hardly be any less worthwhile than the Personal Progress program, can it? 

Well 1st off, Duty to God is actually a combined part with BSA. Most people don't realize just how integral Scouting and the Church are. The award given in Scouts is On My Honor; to get that in the LDS troops one must earn the Duty to God as a Deacon.

I think it is a very worthwhile program but it is a religious program, not a temporal program.  It's going to be long but here are the requirements for scouting and each rank.  To replace BSA with an equal program will take a lot of hard work. BSA was geared toward teach young men how to be not just religiously motivated but responsible citizens and hard-working contributing members of society.

Tenderfoot:

1. Present yourself to your leader, properly dressed, before going on an overnight camping trip. Show the camping gear you will use. Show the right way to pack and carry it.
  2. Spend at least one night on a patrol or troop campout. Sleep in a tent you have helped pitch.
  3. On the campout, assist in preparing and cooking one of your patrol’s meals. Tell why it is important for each patrol member to share in meal preparation and cleanup, and explain the importance of eating together.
    1. Demonstrate how to whip and fuse the ends of a rope.
    2. Demonstrate that you know how to tie the following knots and tell what their uses are: two half hitches and the taut-line hitch.
    3. Using the EDGE method, teach another person how to tie the square knot.
  4. Explain the rules of safe hiking, both on the highway and cross- country, during the day and at night. Explain what to do if you are lost.
  5. Demonstrate how to display, raise, lower, and fold the American flag.
  6. Repeat from memory and explain in your own words the Scout Oath, Law, motto, and slogan.
  7. Know your patrol name, give the patrol yell, and describe your patrol flag.
  8. Explain the importance of the buddy system as it relates to your personal safety on outings and in your neighborhood. Describe what a bully is and how you should respond to one.
    1. Record your best in the following tests:

Current results

Push-ups ________

Pull-ups ________

Sit-ups ________

Standing long jump (______ ft. ______ in.)

1⁄4-mile walk/run _____________

30 days later

Push-ups ________

Pull-ups ________

Sit-ups ________

Standing long jump (______ ft. ______ in.)

1⁄4-mile walk/run _____________

2. Show improvement in the activities listed in requirement 10a after practicing for 30 days.
  1. Identify local poisonous plants; tell how to treat for exposure to them.
    1. Demonstrate how to care for someone who is choking.
    2. Show first aid for the following:
      • Simple cuts and scrapes
      • Blisters on the hand and foot
      • Minor (thermal/heat) burns or scalds (superficial, or first-degree)
      • Bites or stings of insects and ticks
      • Venomous snakebite
      • Nosebleed
      • Frostbite and sunburn
  2. Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath and Scout Law in your everyday life. Discuss four specific examples of how you have lived the points of the Scout Law in your daily life.
  3. Participate in a Scoutmaster conference.
  4. Successfully complete your board of review for the Tenderfoot rank.

2nd Class:

1a.

Demonstrate how a compass works and how to orient a map. Explain what map symbols mean.

1b.

Using a compass and a map together, take a five-mile hike (or 10 miles by bike) approved by your adult leader and your parent or guardian.**

Discuss the principles of Leave No Trace.

3a.

Since joining, have participated in five separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), two of which included camping overnight.

3b.

On one of these campouts, select your patrol site and sleep in a tent that you pitched. Explain what factors you should consider when choosing a patrol site and where to pitch a tent.

3c.

Demonstrate proper care, sharpening, and use of the knife, saw, and ax, and describe when they should be used.

3d.

Use the tools listed in requirement 3c to prepare tinder, kindling,and fuel for a cooking fire.

3e.

Explain when it is appropriate to use a cooking fire. At an approved outdoor location and at an approved time, and using the tinder, kindling, and fuel wood from requirement 3d, demonstrate how to build a fire; light the fire, unless prohibited by local fire restrictions. After allowing the flames to burn safely for at least two minutes, safely extinguish the flames with minimal impact to the fire site.

3f.

Explain when it is appropriate to use a lightweight stove or propane stove. Set up a lightweight stove or propane stove; light the stove, unless prohibited by local fire restrictions. Describe the safety procedures for using these types of stoves.

3g.

On one campout, plan and cook one hot breakfast or lunch, selecting foods from the MyPlate food guide or the current USDA nutrition model. Explain the importance of good nutrition. Tell how to transport, store, and prepare the foods you selected.

Participate in a flag ceremony for your school, religious institution, chartered organization, community, or troop activity. Explain to your leader what respect is due the flag of the United States.

Participate in an approved (minimum of one hour) service project.

Identify or show evidence of at least 10 kinds of wild animals (birds, mammals, reptiles, fish, mollusks) found in your community.

7a.

Show what to do for "hurry" cases of stopped breathing, serious bleeding, and ingested poisoning.

7b.

Prepare a personal first-aid kit to take with you on a hike.

7c.

Demonstrate first aid for the following:

• Object in the eye
  • Bite of a suspected rabid animal
  • Puncture wounds from a splinter, nail, and fishhook
  • Serious burns (partial thickness, or second-degree)
  • Heat exhaustion
  • Shock
  • Heatstroke, dehydration, hypothermia, and hyperventilation

8a.

Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe swim.

8b.

Demonstrate your ability to jump feetfirst into water over your head in depth, level off and swim 25 feet on the surface, stop, turn sharply, resume swimming, then return to your starting place.

8c.

Demonstrate water rescue methods by reaching with your arm or leg, by reaching with a suitable object, and by throwing lines and objects. Explain why swimming rescues should not be attempted when a reaching or throwing rescue is possible, and explain why and how a rescue swimmer should avoid contact with the victim.

9a.

Participate in a school, community, or troop program on the dangers of using drugs, alcohol, and tobacco and other practices that could be harmful to your health. Discuss your participation in the program with your family, and explain the dangers of substance addictions.

9b.

Explain the three R's of personal safety and protection.

Earn an amount of money agreed upon by you and your parent, then save at least 50 percent of that money.

Demonstrate  Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath (Promise) and Scout Law in your everyday life. Discuss four specific examples (different from those used for Tenderfoot requirement 13) of how you have lived the points of the Scout Law in your daily life.

Participate in a Scoutmaster conference.

Successfully complete your board of review for the First Class rank.

1st Class:

Demonstrate how to find directions during the day and at night without using a compass.

Using a map and compass, complete an orienteering course that covers at least one mile and requires measuring the height and/or width of designated items (tree, tower, canyon, ditch, etc.).

Since joining, have participated in 10 separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), three of which included camping overnight. Demonstrate the principles of Leave No Trace on these outings.

4a.

Help plan a patrol menu for one campout that includes at least one breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner, and that requires cooking at least two of the meals. Tell how the menu includes the foods from the MyPlate food guide or the current USDA nutrition model and meets nutritional needs.

4b.

Using the menu planned in requirement 4a, make a list showing the cost and food amounts needed to feed three or more boys and secure the ingredients.

4c.

Tell which pans, utensils, and other gear will be needed to cook and serve these meals.

4d.

Explain the procedures to follow in the safe handling and storage of fresh meats, dairy products, eggs, vegetables, and other perishable food products. Tell how to properly dispose of camp garbage, cans, plastic containers, and other rubbish.

4e.

On one campout, serve as your patrol's cook. Supervise your assistant(s) in using a stove or building a cooking fire. Prepare the breakfast, lunch, and dinner planned in requirement 4a. Lead your patrol in saying grace at the meals and supervise cleanup.

Visit and discuss with a selected individual approved by your leader (elected official, judge, attorney, civil servant, principal, teacher) your constitutional rights and obligations as a U.S. citizen.

Identify or show evidence of at least 10 kinds of native plants found in your community.

7a.

Discuss when you should and should not use lashings. Then demonstrate tying the timber hitch and clove hitch and their use in square, shear, and diagonal lashings by joining two or more poles or staves together.

7b.

Use lashing to make a useful camp gadget.

8a.

Demonstrate tying the bowline knot and describe several ways it can be used.

8b.

Demonstrate bandages for a sprained ankle and for injuries on the head, the upper arm, and the collarbone.

8c.

Show how to transport by yourself, and with one other person, a person

• From a smoke-filled room
  • With a sprained ankle, for at least 25 yards

8d.

Tell the five most common signals of a heart attack. Explain the steps (procedures) in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

9a.

Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe trip afloat.

9b.

Successfully complete the BSA swimmer test.**

9c.

With a helper and a practice victim, show a line rescue both as tender and as rescuer. (The practice victim should be approximately 30 feet from shore in deep water.)

Tell someone who is eligible to join Boy Scouts, or an inactive Boy Scout, about your troop's activities. Invite him to a troop outing, activity, service project, or meeting. Tell him how to join, or encourage the inactive Boy Scout to become active.

Describe the three things you should avoid doing related to use of the Internet. Describe a cyberbully and how you should respond to one.

Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath and Scout Law in your everyday life. Discuss four specific examples (different from those used for Tenderfoot requirement 13 and Second Class requirement 11) of how you have lived the points of the Scout Law in your daily life.

Participate in a Scoutmaster conference.

Successfully complete your board of review for the First Class rank.

Star:

1. Be active in your unit (and patrol if you are in one) for at least four months as a First Class Scout.
  2. Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath and Scout Law in your everyday life.
  3. Earn six merit badges, including any four from the required list for Eagle.
  • Name of Merit Badge

____________________________________ (required for Eagle)**

1. While a First Class Scout, take part in service project(s) totaling at least six hours of work. These projects must be approved by your Scoutmaster.
  2. While a First Class Scout, serve actively in your unit for four months in one or more of the following positions of responsibility*** (or carry out a Scoutmaster-assigned leadership project to help the unit): 

Boy Scout troop. Patrol leader, assistant senior patrol leader, senior patrol leader, Venture patrol leader, troop guide, Order of the Arrow troop representative, den chief, scribe, librarian, historian, quartermaster, bugler, junior assistant Scoutmaster, chaplain aide, instructor, troop Webmaster, or Leave No Trace trainer.

Varsity Scout team. Captain, cocaptain, program manager, squad leader, team secretary, Order of the Arrow troop representative, librarian, historian, quartermaster, chaplain aide, instructor, den chief, team Webmaster, or Leave No Trace trainer.

Venturing crew/ship. President, vice president, secretary, treasurer, den chief, quartermaster, historian, guide, boatswain, boatswain’s mate, yeoman, purser, storekeeper, crew/ship Webmaster, or Leave No Trace trainer.

Lone Scout. Leadership responsibility in his school, religious organization, club, or elsewhere in his community.

3. Take part in a Scoutmaster conference.
  4. Successfully complete your board of review.†

Life:

Name of Merit Badge

1. Be active in your unit (and patrol if you are in one) for at least six months as a Star Scout.
  2. Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath and Scout Law in your everyday life.
  3. Earn five more merit badges (so that you have 11 in all), including any three more from the required list for Eagle.
  4. While a Star Scout, take part in service project(s) totaling at least six hours of work. These projects must be approved by your Scoutmaster.
  5. While a Star Scout, serve actively in your unit for six months in one or more of the troop positions of responsibility*** listed in requirement 5 for Star Scout (or carry out a Scoutmaster-assigned leadership project to help the unit).
  6. While a Star Scout, use the EDGE method to teach another Scout (preferably younger than you) all of the skills involved in any ONE of the following seven requirement choices, so that he is prepared to pass the requirements to his unit leader’s satisfaction.

a. Second Class—7a and 7c (first aid)

b. Second Class—1a (outdoor skills)

c. Second Class—3c, 3d, 3e, and 3f (cooking/camping)

d. First Class—8a, 8b, 8c, and 8d (first aid)

e. First Class—1, 7a, and 7b (outdoor skills)

f. First Class—4a, 4b, and 4d (cooking/camping)

g. Three requirements from one of the required for Eagle merit badges, as approved by your unit leader.

7. Take part in a Scoutmaster conference.
  8. Successfully complete your board of review.†

Eagle:

1. Be active in your troop, team, crew, or ship for a period of at least six months after you have achieved the rank of Life Scout.
  2. Demonstrate that you live by the principles of the Scout Oath and Scout Law in your daily life. List on your Eagle Scout Rank Application the names of individuals who know you personally and would be willing to provide a recommendation on your behalf, including parents/guardians, religious, educational, and employer references.
  3. Earn a total of 21 merit badges (10 more than you already have), including the following: 

(a) First Aid, (b) Citizenship in the Community, © Citizenship in the Nation, (d)Citizenship in the World, (e) Communication, (f) Cooking, (g) Personal Fitness, (h)Emergency Preparedness OR Lifesaving, (i) Environmental Science OR Sustainability, (j) Personal Management, (k) Swimming OR Hiking OR Cycling, (l) Camping, and (m)Family Life.**