Question about free agency and the Lord's guidance?

I have a question regarding our roles as "agents unto ourselves". If we have complete free agency as humans, and must be tested to see if we will always choose the right in all the crazy and hectic scenarios that life will throw at us, then how does God protect us? What is his role in our lives? And how can the verses found in Matthew 6:25-34 be applicable in our lives?

In those verses, Christ states we should take no thought for what's to come tomorrow, from what we eat to what we wear...but if you feel that you are being met with crazy challenges in life but you have agency of how we should deal with our cllenges, then what is God doing to guide us to a great life?

I have a question regarding our roles as "agents unto ourselves". If we have complete free agency as humans, and must be tested to see if we will always choose the right in all the crazy and hectic scenarios that life will throw at us, then how does God protect us? What is his role in our lives? And how can the verses found in Matthew 6:25-34 be applicable in our lives?

In those verses, Christ states we should take no thought for what's to come tomorrow, from what we eat to what we wear...but if you feel that you are being met with crazy challenges in life but you have agency of how we should deal with our cllenges, then what is God doing to guide us to a great life?

God gave us Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice so that we may be saved from our sins.  God gave us the light of Christ that gives us the ability to discern right and wrong.  God gave us the Holy Ghost to testify of truth, give us comfort, and lightens our burdens.  God calls prophets, seers, and revelators who teaches us and guides us of the things that lead us to joy as it applies to our place in history.

Matthew 6:25-34 teaches us that if we live our lives single to the glory of God and steadfast in following His commandments, the worldly things will fall into its proper place.

All this provides us with the knowledge necessary to find our way back to God in our exercise of free agency.

Edited by anatess

I have been sustained by the atonement of Jesus Christ through some very difficult trials.

My parents were seperated before I was ever born. I lived with my mother until I was 8 and I was sexually abused between the ages of 4-6 and also between the ages of 8-11 by my grandmother, mother, stepfather, and an older boy who lived in my neighborhood growing up.

I don't know how to succintly describe my life, but needless to say my thinking has not been "normal". For most of my life I have felt isolated and absolutely lonely. I have felt detached from others and society. I never thought that I was good for anything. Most of my life I have felt like I was absolutely worthless and that I did not deserve anything good or gentle in life. There are many other feelings and notions that I have struggled with.

As I struggled alone and in ignorance, God sustained me. While I acted wickedly, God blessed me. In my blindness I did things that were carnal and devilish, yet God was merciful. I did not recognize God's love when I was in hell. I did not see the many ways in which He was blessing me while I was in hell. My pride prevented me from seeing how sick I was. My fear prevented me from know God and His love.

Eventually my suffering, my depression, my anguish become so great that I was compelled to be humble. I was compelled to see how that without God I am nothing and that existence is meaningless. I wanted, needed peace! I could not live any more feeling the way that I was. I did not desire to exist feeling the way I was feeling every day. I begged for God to have mercy! I asked Him, specifically, to carry my burden and that I could not carry it. In response, He sent His Spirit down upon me where it overwhelmed my whole body in that I lost my strength. I was overwhelmed by God's love and mercy. God changed my heart that day! He worked a mighty miracle, because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I have been saved from hell and from misery!

This powerful feeling has faded and I was not miraculously healed from all of my illnesses. My struggles have continued and I still have many days where I can feel low. However, I am now placing my faith in Jesus Christ. I am learning that I can take my burdens and place them on Christ and He will sustain me. He has given me guidance. I have received thoughts from God that have helped me to understand and see what I need to do to improve my life and to have peace. When I don't understand or I am unable to overcome my feelings myself, I pray, and God relieves my feelings. Instead of doing things for others, I do things for Christ and I expect my reward from Him. As I remember Jesus Christ every day I feel hopeful, inspite of the trials that I face.

-Finrock

Edited by Finrock

It is my belief that many do not understand agency.  At any rate my understanding of agency seems to be a little different.  Like many pieces of gospel doctrine - it is impossible to make sense of agency if we try to apply the doctrine with only taking into account what we experience in between birth and death.  I believe that before our birth we participated in a plan for our lives and the things that needed to happen.  Thus I do not think we need to worry about such things but rather realize that we act as agents of G-d through his Son Jesus Christ. 

But when we reject G-d, his commandments and covenants we act as though we are agents unto ourselves.  But the reality is that we are not nor can we actually be agents unto ourselves.  We exist in mortality somewhat blind and are incapable of any such agency to determine anything but failure or as the scriptures indicate death - both the first and second death.  I believe that when the scriptures speak of being an agent unto ourselves that the reference is somewhat sarcastic and thus interpreted incorrectly for we cannot determine anything of ourselves.  If we were not agents unto Christ we could not repent nor could he take upon him our sins.  Thus being an agent unto ourselves is a false concept that Satan uses in hope of ruling over us through death.

It helps to keep in mind that the challenges we face are only crazy and hectic from our perspective. To us they seem unpredictable, uncontrollable, and chaotic, but God is in control of all things. Our experiences are personalized to give us the greatest eternal benefit and opportunity possible. His role is to teach and guide us. The Savior has atoned for us when we don't get it right. Therefore, we need not fear the things of tomorrow. Yes, we are expected to work out our challenges because that is how we learn, but when we trust in God and keep our perspective, yielding our agency to Him, there is no need for fear to be an element of our efforts.

I believe that when the scriptures speak of being an agent unto ourselves that the reference is somewhat sarcastic and thus interpreted incorrectly for we cannot determine anything of ourselves.  If we were not agents unto Christ we could not repent nor could he take upon him our sins.  Thus being an agent unto ourselves is a false concept that Satan uses in hope of ruling over us through death.

You know, sometimes I have a difficult time determining whether you're joking or serious. The above appears to be serious, but I have a hard time believing it's not a joke.

Are you actually claiming that the numerous scriptures declaring we are agents unto ourselves are nothing more than sarcasm on the Savior’s part??
That agency is a false concept that Satan uses to rule over us??

2 Nephi 9:28 comes to mind here as I shake my head and marvel.  :huh:

The Lord is not so concerned with protecting us from challenges, rather, his primary role is to strengthen us to face what we are given. So often we want him to change circumstances, we want to tell the Lord to take away our difficulties, but such a request does not help us grow. It is short sighted and focused on earthly matters. Rather, if we humble ourselves and pray for strength in any given day, we will see it come into our lives. This strength will manifest itself as an added measure of peace, clarity, and understanding. If you dig deep, and with real intent pray for his support, you will see it.

Now to the scripture. The first thing is to understand that the word "thought" should be translated as "anxious concern" or "worry". So the scripture that says, "take no thought for the morrow" is better stated as, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow" (Matt 6:34 NIV). See one who seeks deep within himself to turn to the Lord is given what he needs to face the day. Why then need we worry about tomorrow? Live with an attitude of humility and gratefulness and the Lord will give you what you need. He is supporting you moment from moment and day to day.

In all this he has not taken away agency. You are free to act. How then does he direct your path? By clearing away the confusion which allows your holy spirit to shine through. Within each person is a spirit that knows what is right. Your problem and mine, is that we allow the carnal mind, which is driven by fears, worries and concerns, to take over. When we see clearly and allow our spirit to lead we naturally choose to do right. It is part of who we are.

Edited by james12

You know, sometimes I have a difficult time determining whether you're joking or serious. The above appears to be serious, but I have a hard time believing it's not a joke.

Are you actually claiming that the numerous scriptures declaring we are agents unto ourselves are nothing more than sarcasm on the Savior’s part??
That agency is a false concept that Satan uses to rule over us??

2 Nephi 9:28 comes to mind here as I shake my head and marvel.  :huh:

Perhaps if I put this idea of being an agent to one's self in a different light.  There are only two choices concerning agency - that we follow G-d or that we follow Satan -- there is no actual, real or otherwise choice to take control and answer to no one but ourselves.  It is the doctrine of Korihor that what we gain from life is solely based on our individual abilities and efforts.

Perhaps if I put this idea of being an agent to one's self in a different light.  There are only two choices concerning agency - that we follow G-d or that we follow Satan -- there is no actual, real or otherwise choice to take control and answer to no one but ourselves.  It is the doctrine of Korihor that what we gain from life is solely based on our individual abilities and efforts.

You put it in a MUCH better light, and I apologize for being a bit snippy.

Thanks.

I believe that when the scriptures speak of being an agent unto ourselves that the reference is somewhat sarcastic and thus interpreted incorrectly

Can something be so ridiculous that it actually becomes cool? If so, this is the coolest thing I've ever read on these forums.

And here's me, not knowing that by not reading sarcasm into the scriptures I've been misinterpreting them all these years.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

There are only two choices concerning agency - that we follow G-d or that we follow Satan

Which includes about a billion other choices.

there is no actual, real or otherwise choice to take control and answer to no one but ourselves. 

Except the billion other choices.

It is the doctrine of Korihor that what we gain from life is solely based on our individual abilities and efforts.

Yeah. "Solely". But it's also factual that we gain from life based on our individual abilities and efforts. It's merely an incomplete idea. Not false. Unless you're trying to claim that all those years of guitar practice were useless because I could have just prayed the skill into place.

Also, Korihor's teaching that each man "fared" in life is, clearly, in context countering the idea of our eternal welfare is based upon an Atonement (him claiming there was no such atonement). To claim that it was a counter to "hard work yields results" and then to claim, accordingly, that such a principle is false because it came from a man such as Korihor is a non-sequitur.

Are you claiming the Atonement renders the need for hard work and self improvement null and void?

Like many pieces of gospel doctrine - it is impossible to make sense of agency if we try to apply the doctrine with only taking into account what we experience in between birth and death.

How so?

I believe that before our birth we participated in a plan for our lives and the things that needed to happen.  

Sure. Entirely possible.

Thus I do not think we need to worry about such things

How is this a "thus" related to the previous? What does our having been involved in planning our lives have to do with not worrying about our agency?

but rather realize that we act as agents of G-d through his Son Jesus Christ. 

How is this a "rather"? Can we not act as agents for God and still be agents unto ourselves? Please explain how these things are mutually exclusive.

But when we reject G-d, his commandments and covenants we act as though we are agents unto ourselves. 

No. When we reject God and His commandments and covenants we ARE agents unto ourselves. That's why we will be held accountable for rejecting God and His commandments and covenants.

But the reality is that we are not nor can we actually be agents unto ourselves. 

This is, plainly, unequivocally, without any doubt whatsoever, as clear as day, false.

We exist in mortality somewhat blind and are incapable of any such agency to determine anything but failure or as the scriptures indicate death - both the first and second death. 

You are trying to say that because we are dependent upon God for rescue that we are not responsible for said rescue. But, once more, you are guilty of a basic non-sequitur. We need help does not mean we are helpless. We have, as the scriptures state (though apparently sarcastically), power in us. (D&C 58:28) You are claiming that Christ reaching down to lift us up somehow negates our need to reach up to Him. This is false. Our dependency on Christ is not equivalent to a lack of need for dependency on ourselves.

we cannot determine anything of ourselves. 

Since when?

What happened to your ever-determined persistence that relying upon our own minds and empirical evidence is just as important as all the rest of it?

If we were not agents unto Christ we could not repent nor could he take upon him our sins.

By comparison: Agents unto ourselves means we represent or stand for ourselves, accountable for our actions. So the equivalency you're setting up here is apparently -- if we didn't represent or stand for Christ, accountable for His actions, then we could not repent nor could he take upon Him our sins. A false equivalency if ever there was one.

Are we comparing apples to oranges...or clouds...or motorcycles?

Thus being an agent unto ourselves is a false concept that Satan uses in hope of ruling over us through death.

Even if you could convincingly show that some of the other principles you've espoused here are correct, they hardly lead to this conclusion. How would our being an agent unto ourselves be used by Satan to rule over us? Wasn't it he who tried to take away our agency?

I'm afraid you've got a bit of 'splainin' to do on this comment.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

How so?

Sure. Entirely possible.

How is this a "thus" related to the previous? What does our having been involved in planning our lives have to do with not worrying about our agency?

How is this a "rather"? Can we not act as agents for God and still be agents unto ourselves? Please explain how these things are mutually exclusive.

No. When we reject God and His commandments and covenants we ARE agents unto ourselves. That's why we will be held accountable for rejecting God and His commandments and covenants.

This is, plainly, unequivocally, without any doubt whatsoever, as clear as day, false.

You are trying to say that because we are dependent upon God for rescue that we are not responsible for said rescue. But, once more, you are guilty of a basic non-sequitur. We need help does not mean we are helpless. We have, as the scriptures state (though apparently sarcastically), power in us. (D&C 58:28) You are claiming that Christ reaching down to lift us up somehow negates our need to reach up to Him. This is false. Our dependency on Christ is not equivalent to a lack of need for dependency on ourselves.

Since when?

What happened to your ever-determined persistence that relying upon our own minds and empirical evidence is just as important as all the rest of it?

By comparison: Agents unto ourselves means we represent or stand for ourselves, accountable for our actions. So the equivalency you're setting up here is apparently -- if we didn't represent or stand for Christ, accountable for His actions, then we could not repent nor could he take upon Him our sins. A false equivalency if ever there was one.

Are we comparing apples to oranges...or clouds...or motorcycles?

Even if you could convincingly show that some of the other principles you've espoused here are correct, they hardly lead to this conclusion. How would our being an agent unto ourselves be used by Satan to rule over us? Wasn't it he who tried to take away our agency?

I'm afraid you've got a bit of 'splainin' to do on this comment.

An "agent" does not represent themself - The very purpose of "agency" is to represent someone else.  Our only choice in life is to follow G-d or Satan.  Because of the fall we will die and if not for the atonement we would be in Satan's power.  The only other option to escape Satan's total control is to follow G-d.  I believe you grossly misunderstand things thinking there is a third option.

If I hired a lawyer to be my agent but instead of representing me and taking my interests into account they acted upon their own selfish interests - that under such a condition we may say that they have failed in their agency to represent me but rather have become agents unto themselves and their own interests.   Under such conditions they have violated not just my trust as my agent but also just law and brought themselves under condemnation. 

In the pre-existance we made a choice to come into this life as agents of G-d according to his plan of salvation. 

An "agent" does not represent themself - The very purpose of "agency" is to represent someone else.  Our only choice in life is to follow G-d or Satan.  Because of the fall we will die and if not for the atonement we would be in Satan's power.  The only other option to escape Satan's total control is to follow G-d.  I believe you grossly misunderstand things thinking there is a third option.

Way to completely gloss over and ignore the entirety of my questions and comments.

Just saying stuff doesn't make it correct.

I believe you grossly misunderstand things when you take a commonly understood LDS term and reinterpret it to suit your own ideas and then try and pass it off as valid in any way by wresting the scriptures into "they must be sarcastic", and fail incredibly to provide any semblance of support to the matter.

Because the plain and clear teaching in the scriptures is that we very much DO represent ourselves, and the very purpose of "agency" is that we stand for ourselves.

If you're going to entirely ignore and/or fail to respond to my specific queries then I'm wasting my time discussing it with you. If you're also going to simply throw out some wacky theory with no support whatsoever then it amounts to nothing more than some guy's strange opinion.

You have three paths on the matter as I see it. 1) Discuss the details and back yourself up with legitimate doctrinal teachings (or at the very least some kind of pseudo logic). 2) Discuss the details without backing them up for the sake of at least having the conversation. 3) Relegate yourself on the matter to worth nothing but disregard.

If I hired a lawyer to be my agent but instead of representing me and taking my interests into account they acted upon their own selfish interests - that under such a condition we may say that they have failed in their agency to represent me but rather have become agents unto themselves and their own interests.   Under such conditions they have violated not just my trust as my agent but also just law and brought themselves under condemnation. 

In the pre-existance we made a choice to come into this life as agents of G-d according to his plan of salvation. 

Same response as the previous post. 

Show me something, somewhere, anywhere, in any gospel teaching that confirms that we come to earth as agents of God and are not agents unto ourselves.

Uhm, actually no.  I even went and asked my sports-fanatic husband to make sure.  FREE AGENCY means that you are not compelled by any contract.  That is, you are an agent unto yourself.  When you use your free agency to sign a contract with the Cleveland Browns, then you become a team member of the Cleveland Browns - you don't become an agent for the Cleveland Browns.  When you put on the Jersey and walk into the field, then you become an Agent for the Cleveland Browns representing that team and anything you do on that field reflects on the Cleveland Browns.  If you're just out and about without your uniform carrying on going to the pacific ocean to save some whales or whatever, you are not acting as an agent for the Cleveland Browns... you're an agent unto yourself.  But, even if you're wearing the team jersey trying to tell yourself and others that you're an agent of the Cleveland Browns when you're saving the whale but the Browns did not ask you to save whales nor do they want whales saved... you're still not acting as an agent of the Browns... you're still an agent unto yourself.

So, yes, by default, you are an agent unto yourself.  You only become an Agent of somebody else (God, Devil, Buddha, whatever) when you sign yourself up for a team by virtue of free agency and do acts that represent the team as stated on the contract (covenant).

We become agents of the Devil when we knowingly do things the Devil wants us to do.  Otherwise, we're just agents unto ourselves who might be doing idiot things.

Edited by anatess

Not true.  We made a choice in the pre-existence to come to earth to gain knowledge that we may have joy.

We made the choice to become agents of God when we get baptized in mortality - the purpose of such agency is to bring OTHERS to the path to joy.

Uhm, actually no.  I even went and asked my sports-fanatic husband to make sure.  FREE AGENCY means that you are not compelled by any contract.  That is, you are an agent unto yourself.  When you use your free agency to sign a contract with the Cleveland Browns, then you become a team member of the Cleveland Browns - you don't become an agent for the Cleveland Browns.  When you put on the Jersey and walk into the field, then you become an Agent for the Cleveland Browns representing that team and anything you do on that field reflects on the Cleveland Browns.  If you're just out and about without your uniform carrying on going to the pacific ocean to save some whales or whatever, you are not acting as an agent for the Cleveland Browns... you're an agent unto yourself.  But, even if you're wearing the team jersey trying to tell yourself and others that you're an agent of the Cleveland Browns when you're saving the whale but the Browns did not ask you to save whales nor do they want whales saved... you're still not acting as an agent of the Browns... you're still an agent unto yourself.

So, yes, by default, you are an agent unto yourself.  You only become an Agent of somebody else (God, Devil, Buddha, whatever) when you sign yourself up for a team by virtue of free agency and do acts that represent the team as stated on the contract (covenant).

Good morning anatess!

When the final scales are balanced and if you are found to be an "agent unto yourself" it will be equivalent of being an agent of Satan. There are only two options in this life. There is no grey area. We either serve God or we serve something else. Satan has many faces and there are many idols that we can serve and worship. Serving the will of self is a form of idol worhsip. Relying on our intellect and our strength is a form of idol worship. All idol worship is of the devil.

So, yeah, we are "free agents" until we start making choices and that is where the rubber meets the road. Your choices determine your agency and there are only two agents to choose from, God or the devil.

-Finrock

Good morning anatess!

When the final scales are balanced and if you are found to be an "agent unto yourself" it will be equivalent of being an agent of Satan. There are only two options in this life. There is no grey area. We either serve God or we serve something else. Satan has many faces and there are many idols that we can serve and worship. Serving the will of self is a form of idol worhsip. Relying on our intellect and our strength is a form of idol worship. All idol worship is of the devil.

So, yeah, we are "free agents" until we start making choices and that is where the rubber meets the road. Your choices determine your agency and there are only two agents to choose from, God or the devil.

-Finrock

Agency requires knowledge.  All we know when we are born is ourselves.  We can't be agents of Satan even when we choose bad things if we lack knowledge, in the same manner that we can't be agents of God even if we do good things if we lack knowledge.  Until knowledge comes and we act on that knowledge, we are agents unto ourselves.

This is the Plan of Salvation - we are agents unto ourselves UNTIL we gain knowledge and pledge our lives to Christ or reject Him.  Of course, we are told that the final judgment does not come until all of us has been given the knowledge and given the opportunity to choose Christ or the Devil.  But until that knowledge comes, we are agents unto ourselves - God's gift to man.  Free agency.

Edited by anatess

Not true.  We made a choice in the pre-existence to come to earth to gain knowledge that we may have joy.

We made the choice to become agents of God when we get baptized in mortality - the purpose of such agency is to bring OTHERS to the path to joy.

All of us who have been or whoever will be in mortality, at one point in their existence made the free will choice to follow Christ. We were agents of Christ, all of us, before we came here on earth. This is absolutely true. If not, we would be with Satan right now.

-Finrock

Same response as the previous post. 

Show me something, somewhere, anywhere, in any gospel teaching that confirms that we come to earth as agents of God and are not agents unto ourselves.

We came to earth under the agreement of the Plan of Salvation - and by so choosing we became agents of G-d for the single purpose of that great plan of salvation.  Those that did not accept that plan were cast out with Satan - You show me in gospel teaching where there was a third option of one's own making or individual design!!!!  Even one soul that exercised such an option.

Good morning anatess!

-Finrock

A few thoughts:

First, anatess didn't say anything, to my reading, that implied anything contrary to this.

Second, we are still agents unto ourselves even when we choose to also become agents unto God. The two are not mutually exclusive, and this remains the case because God allows it to be. Satan is the only one who would take our agency away from us.

Third, agency has a specific and clear meaning in the Gospel, and whereas one could reasonably claim that we become agents of God (which we do) by the literal meaning of the word when we choose to follow Him, that is NOT what "agency" is talking about or means.

All of us who have been or whoever will be in mortality, at one point in their existence made the free will choice to follow Christ. We were agents of Christ, all of us, before we came here on earth. This is absolutely true. If not, we would be with Satan right now.

-Finrock

Okay, this is where we have a miscommunication.  This is my understanding of agency:

Take my example of the Cleveland Browns.  Just because you signed up for the Cleveland Browns it doesn't make you an agent of the Cleveland Browns.  It just makes you a team member representing yourself.  When you put on that team jersey and walk on the field you're acting as an agent for the Browns AND for yourself (individual stats representing your own abilities and the team's).  When you get off the field, you're not representing the Browns anymore, you're just representing yourself.

An agent is not just a follower.  It is a REPRESENTATIVE.  We came to earth for ourselves that we may have joy.  It isn't until we get baptized that we covenant to take upon ourselves His name and represent him.

Edited by anatess

Agency requires knowledge.  All we know when we are born is ourselves.  We can't be agents of Satan even when we choose bad things if we lack knowledge, in the same manner that we can't be agents of God even if we do good things if we lack knowledge.  Until knowledge comes and we act on that knowledge, we are agents unto ourselves.

This is the Plan of Salvation - we are agents unto ourselves UNTIL we gain knowledge and pledge our lives to Christ or reject Him.  Of course, we are told that the final judgment does not come until all of us has been given the knowledge and given the opportunity to choose Christ or the Devil.  But until that knowledge comes, we are agents unto ourselves - God's gift to man.  Free agency.

Something else you may find of interest Anatess - that is if we heir someone as our agent to represent us - say we are very wealthy and we heir an agent to help distribute funds for charitable causes - we are legally responsible for their decisions.  If in acting in their agency we can be held responsible for their actions.  This is why Jesus and only Jesus can take full responsibility for our sins - expressly because such sins were committed while we serve in his agency.  If we are agents unto ourselves - Jesus could not atone for our sins.  We would be singularly responsible ourselves.