Question about free agency and the Lord's guidance?

We came to earth under the agreement of the Plan of Salvation - and by so choosing we became agents of G-d for the single purpose of that great plan of salvation.  Those that did not accept that plan were cast out with Satan - You show me in gospel teaching where there was a third option of one's own making or individual design!!!!  Even one soul that exercised such an option.

I didn't say there was a third option. But that has no bearing whatsoever on the meaning of agency and what the principle implies, which you have failed to address entirely.

Agency has a clear and distinct meaning in the gospel. It means the right to follow God or follow Satan. And it will always be there. Even when we are following God, we maintain the right to cease following Him, and vice-versa. Becoming and agent of God (at any given point in our existence) does not remove our individual right to make the decision for ourselves to continue doing so or not.

Becoming and agent of God (at any given point in our existence) does not remove our individual right to make the decision for ourselves to continue doing so or not.

Indeed, the only way we retain that right is by following God. If we follow Satan, we steadily lose our agency until we are no longer agents, but slaves to him.

Something else you may find of interest Anatess - that is if we heir someone as our agent to represent us - say we are very wealthy and we heir an agent to help distribute funds for charitable causes - we are legally responsible for their decisions.  If in acting in their agency we can be held responsible for their actions.  This is why Jesus and only Jesus can take full responsibility for our sins - expressly because such sins were committed while we serve in his agency.  If we are agents unto ourselves - Jesus could not atone for our sins.  We would be singularly responsible ourselves.

Jesus could not atone for our sins UNTIL we become his agents.  This choice was not made in the pre-existence.  This is made at baptism.  Baptism is necessary for the atoning sacrifice to take effect on each individual.

A few thoughts:

First, anatess didn't say anything, to my reading, that implied anything contrary to this.

Second, we are still agents unto ourselves even when we choose to also become agents unto God. The two are not mutually exclusive, and this remains the case because God allows it to be. Satan is the only one who would take our agency away from us.

Third, agency has a specific and clear meaning in the Gospel, and whereas one could reasonably claim that we become agents of God (which we do) by the literal meaning of the word when we choose to follow Him, that is NOT what "agency" is talking about or means.

I believe this is contrary to the teachings of Jesus - for example his exchange with the rich young man.  No one serves two masters - such teaching is contrary to gospel principles.    It does not matter what we think we are doing - if we do not choose to accept G-d and his plan - and become the so called agents to ourselves - we will end up in bondage to Satan.

This isn't accurate. We are agents of nothing and no one without knowledge. And even when we gain knowledge, we're still agents unto ourselves.

We are agents of nothing if we know nothing - exactly.  When we are born, all we know is ourselves.  Hence, we are agents unto ourselves first and foremost.  When we gain knowledge of Christ we don't lose knowledge of ourselves... hence, we are agents of both.

A few thoughts:

First, anatess didn't say anything, to my reading, that implied anything contrary to this.

Second, we are still agents unto ourselves even when we choose to also become agents unto God. The two are not mutually exclusive, and this remains the case because God allows it to be. Satan is the only one who would take our agency away from us.

Third, agency has a specific and clear meaning in the Gospel, and whereas one could reasonably claim that we become agents of God (which we do) by the literal meaning of the word when we choose to follow Him, that is NOT what "agency" is talking about or means.

Hi The Folk Prophet!

I hear you and I even understand what you are saying, however, I have not been able to overcome my addictions in my life by applying the principles you espouse. To be free in my life, I have had to give up being an agent unto myself, and to become an agent of Jesus Christ. This has been a voluntary act on my part of surrendering my thoughts, my desires, my feelings, my notions, so that I can replace them with the thoughts, desires, feelings, and notions that God would place in my heart and mind.

I have had to learn to trust God completely! This means surrendering my will to Him. I have not had any success in my life in overcoming my hardships and trials by becoming an agent unto myself. Never, not once. Only when I have remembered who I am, that I am a child of God, and that I am a son of God, that I am a spirit of God, and started acting and choosing accordingly, has the gospel of Jesus Christ begun to become effective in my life to the point where I have been liberated from a prison of darkness and hell.

I have free will and I have free agency. There are not the same even though they are often conflated. My son complained to me one day when I asked him to do something that he has no "free agency" become I am telling him what to do. I told him that he is wrong. I may be restricting his actions, however, his freedom to be an agent is not restricted. We can be an agent of Christ no matter what situation we are in or no matter what choices have been taken from us. God has given us the gift of free agency to choose to be an agent of Him in all situations and in all places and in all times. That is liberating. Because at that point, I can be bound and beaten, yet I am free in Christ.

-Finrock

Edited by Finrock

I believe this is contrary to the teachings of Jesus 

That's right...all the prophets and apostles and gospel manuals produced by the church and everything ever taught on agency...oh and the scriptures themselves, are speaking contrary to Jesus.

Whatever.

I believe this is contrary to the teachings of Jesus - for example his exchange with the rich young man.  No one serves two masters - such teaching is contrary to gospel principles.    It does not matter what we think we are doing - if we do not choose to accept G-d and his plan - and become the so called agents to ourselves - we will end up in bondage to Satan.

I'm starting to feel that we have a completely different understanding of the meaning of the word AGENT.

We cannot be agents of God if we are not agents unto ourselves.  We cannot make a free choice if we cannot represent ourselves.  It's like a kid who cannot sign a contract because he doesn't have full responsibility of his faculties in the eyes of mortal law to be able to represent himself. 

Like The Folk Prophet said - being agents unto ourselves is not mutually exclusive with our choice to become agents of God... as a matter of fact, it is NECESSARY for us to be agents unto ourselves to make that choice to become agents of God.  This is what it means to have FREE AGENCY.

Edited by anatess

Jesus could not atone for our sins UNTIL we become his agents.  This choice was not made in the pre-existence.  This is made at baptism.  Baptism is necessary for the atoning sacrifice to take effect on each individual.

Hmmmmmmmm It was my understanding that Jesus paid the price and suffered for all sins - not just those that are baptized.

Hi The Folk Prophet!

I hear you and I even understand what you are saying, however, I have not been able to overcome my addictions in my life by applying the principles you espouse. To be free in my life, I have had to give up being an agent unto myself, and to become an agent of Jesus Christ. This has been a voluntary act on my part of surrendering my thoughts, my desires, my feelings, my notions, so that I can replace them with the thoughts, desires, feelings, and notions that God would place in my heart and mind.

I have had to learn to trust God completely! This means surrendering my will to Him. I have not had any success in my life in overcoming my hardships and trials by becoming an agent unto myself. Never, not once. Only when I have remembered who I am, that I am a child of God, and that I am a son of God, that I am a spirit of God, and started acting and choosing accordingly, has the gospel of Jesus Christ begun to become effective in my life to the point where I have been liberated from a prison of darkness and hell.

I have free will and I have free agency. There are not the same even though they are often conflated. My son complained to me one day when I asked him to do something that he has no "free agency" become I am telling him what to do. I told him that he is wrong. I may be restricting his actions, however, his freedom to be an agent is not restricted. We can be an agent of Christ no matter what situation we are in or no matter what choices have been taken from us. God has given us the gift of free agency to choose to be an agent of Him in all situations and in all places and in all times. That is liberating. Because at that point, I can be bound and beaten, yet I am free in Christ.

-Finrock

Finrock, you and Traveler have the same usage of the word AGENT.

See what I replied to Traveler above.

To be free in my life, I have had to give up being an agent unto myself, and to become an agent of Jesus Christ. 

Finrock,

I understand what you are saying...but this ^ IS exercising self will and agency, not giving it up. It is not giving up agency to choose to let others help you. It is not giving up agency to seek therapy, to speak to a bishop, or, ultimately, to give ourselves entirely over to the Savior. It is by your choice and your accountability that you are doing this.

This has been a voluntary act on my part 

^ my point. Voluntary. Not compelled. Free to act or be acted upon. Agency.

This means surrendering my will to Him. 

An act of agency.

I have not had any success in my life in overcoming my hardships and trials by becoming an agent unto myself. 

Yes, you have. Choosing to surrender IS being an agent unto yourself. No one surrender for your. No one made that choice but you. It was you, and only you, who did this. Christ didn't make you. He invited you, and then allowed you to make the free choice to accept Him or not. But you choose.

We can be an agent of Christ no matter what situation we are in or no matter what choices have been taken from us. God has given us the gift of free agency to choose to be an agent of Him in all situations and in all places and in all times. That is liberating. Because at that point, I can be bound and beaten, yet I am free in Christ.

Once more, choosing to follow Christ and be an "agent" of Him is not mutually exclusive to our agency and the fact that we will always stand for ourselves and always be accountable for our choices. Always.

Hmmmmmmmm It was my understanding that Jesus paid the price and suffered for all sins - not just those that are baptized.

Yes he did.  But it doesn't take effect on you until you choose to be His agent.  Otherwise, what's the point of baptism for the dead?

Edited by anatess

He did. But as she said, it doesn't take affect unless we exercise our agency to follow Christ through repentance, baptism, and obedience.

I'm starting to feel that we have a completely different understanding of the meaning of the word AGENT.

We cannot be agents of God if we are not agents unto ourselves.  We cannot make a free choice if we cannot represent ourselves.  It's like a kid who cannot sign a contract because he doesn't have full responsibility of his faculties in the eyes of mortal law to be able to represent himself. 

Like The Folk Prophet said - being agents unto ourselves is not mutually exclusive with our choice to become agents of God... as a matter of fact, it is NECESSARY for us to be agents unto ourselves to make that choice to become agents of God.  This is what it means to have FREE AGENCY.

As I said earlier - agency is not something that happens between birth and death.  Our agency extends back into our previous existence when we lived with G-d.  At which time G-d established a covenant with us to grant us our agency.  Satan then as well as now intends to take away that agency.  There is a reason - G-d called this "AGENCY" and not free will.  I really do not believe it was to change what the meaning of Agency into what we understand as free will.  G-d's choice of words actually has meaning.  Agency is not free will.

I'm gonna make this bigger so it doesn't get lost in the fast-paced convo:

agent (n) = represent (v)

You can be an agent of God while being an agent of yourself.  The definition of Godhood is when you become perfectly aligned with God that representing yourself is EXACTLY THE SAME as representing God - in the same manner that JESUS being an agent unto himself fully aligns with the Father that he represents the Father also.

As I said earlier - agency is not something that happens between birth and death.  Our agency extends back into our previous existence when we lived with G-d.  At which time G-d established a covenant with us to grant us our agency.  Satan then as well as now intends to take away that agency.  There is a reason - G-d called this "AGENCY" and not free will.  I really do not believe it was to change what the meaning of Agency into what we understand as free will.  G-d's choice of words actually has meaning.  Agency is not free will.

I never said agency is something that only exists in mortality.  What I said was we didn't choose to become Agents of Christ until we got baptized.... now, this could happen after death.

Satan intends to take away our agency - that is, even when we know better, we cannot change anything because we are in bondage - same as being addicted to cocaine - even when you know better (wanting to be an agent unto yourself - showing what you truly desire), you cannot do anything about it because your addiction takes over.  This is what Satan's bondage removing our agency means.

AGENCY = REPRESENTATION not Will.

An "agent" is one who represents another.

We are to become agents to Jesus Christ, meaning that we represent him. This is the meaning of taking his name on us. In essence, we are to become Jesus Christ to those we interact with, doing and saying the things Christ would do and say.

To become "an agent unto oneself" seems almost meaningless, at least trivial. Of COURSE we represent ourselves! But Doctrine and Covenants 88:35 teaches an amazing principle about this idea:

That which breaketh a law, and abideth not by law, but seeketh to become a law unto itself, and willeth to abide in sin, and altogether abideth in sin, cannot be sanctified by law, neither by mercy, justice, nor judgment. Therefore, they must remain filthy still

Jesus' agents abide Jesus' law, else they are not Jesus' agents. Those who are "agents unto themselves" must therefore abide their own law, and thus they remain filthy, since their own law cannot cleanse. This is the common state of humanity around us. Our duty as agents of Christ is to call people to a better way, so that they leave behind their self-worship.

I'm gonna make this bigger so it doesn't get lost in the fast-paced convo:

agent (n) = represent (v)

You can be an agent of God while being an agent of yourself.  The definition of Godhood is when you become perfectly aligned with God that representing yourself is EXACTLY THE SAME as representing God - in the same manner that JESUS being an agent unto himself fully aligns with the Father that he represents the Father also.

Jesus said specifically that he did nothing of himself - only that which was given him of his father.

I think what is missing for many is the understanding that agency comes to man by covenant.  Without covenant with G-d there is no agency.  It is this covenant with G-d that Satan intends to destroy.  Satan - because he rebelled lost his agency.  And all that reject the covenant lose their agency - they do no lose their individual free will.  Ever.

An "agent" is one who represents another.

We are to become agents to Jesus Christ, meaning that we represent him. This is the meaning of taking his name on us. In essence, we are to become Jesus Christ to those we interact with, doing and saying the things Christ would do and say.

To become "an agent unto oneself" seems almost meaningless, at least trivial. Of COURSE we represent ourselves! But Doctrine and Covenants 88:35 teaches an amazing principle about this idea:

That which breaketh a law, and abideth not by law, but seeketh to become a law unto itself, and willeth to abide in sin, and altogether abideth in sin, cannot be sanctified by law, neither by mercy, justice, nor judgment. Therefore, they must remain filthy still

Jesus' agents abide Jesus' law, else they are not Jesus' agents. Those who are "agents unto themselves" must therefore abide their own law, and thus they remain filthy, since their own law cannot cleanse. This is the common state of humanity around us. Our duty as agents of Christ is to call people to a better way, so that they leave behind their self-worship.

Vort, I've got to extend the same challenge here to you: Can you show or validate that becoming an agent of Christ invalidates being an agent unto ourselves? I cannot quite understand how it must be one or the other in people's minds. Just because we choose to represent Christ and follow His law does not mean that we are not also representing ourselves.

This whole "agents unto ourselves" = "self worship" thing does not strike me as in any way valid. Sure, that's one way we can exercise our agency. But that doesn't mean when we choose to follow Christ that we give up our agency.

Vort, I've got to extend the same challenge here to you: Can you show or validate that becoming an agent of Christ invalidates being an agent unto ourselves?

What does it mean to be an agent "unto" yourself?

EDIT: The only scriptural reference I can find to this wording is in D&C 29:35, where God says he made Adam "an agent unto himself" in the garden of Eden. In this context, it sounds like God is saying that Adam did not represent God or anyone else, only himself.

When we take upon ourselves to be an agent of Christ, then we are agents of ourselves only insofar as our will reflects Christ's will. If we are agents unto ourselves in matters outside of representing Christ, then we are no longer agents of Christ, at least in that.

Edited by Vort

What does it mean to be an agent "unto" yourself?

EDIT: The only scriptural reference I can find to this wording is in D&C 29:35, where God says he made Adam "an agent unto himself" in the garden of Eden. In this context, it sounds like God is saying that Adam did not represent God or anyone else, only himself.

When we take upon ourselves to be an agent of Christ, then we are agents of ourselves only insofar as our will reflects Christ's will. If we are agents unto ourselves in matters outside of representing Christ, then we are no longer agents of Christ, at least in that.

Vort, anything you do represents You.  Promising yourself to be an agent of Christ doesn't mean you stop representing You.  You still represent you, but what You stand for is aligned with what Christ stands for - by your own choice, hence you become an agent of Christ.  You cannot, therefore, say, Oh, I'm just representing Christ - that really doesn't represent Me such that you can say, ME is actually different than Christ and then you can claim that "it wasn't really me, it was Christ that made me do it" when you get sued.

Make sense?

Edited by anatess

I'm, frankly, a bit astounded that there can be so much misunderstanding about what is one of the most commonly discussed principles in the church. A simple search for the word agency turns up easy access and understanding on this matter, and clearly lays out the plain ideas behind it. And nowhere that I've seen does it talk about being agents for others. (Edit: I found one: D&C 64:29 Wherefore, as ye are agents, ye are on the Lord’s errand; and whatever ye do according to the will of the Lord is the Lord’s business.)

Here's just the first few links I clicked:

Agency is the ability and privilege God gives us to choose and to act for ourselves. Agency is essential in the plan of salvation. Without agency, we would not be able to learn or progress or follow the Savior. With it, we are “free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil” 

Robert D. Hales 
But think of it: in our premortal state we chose to follow the Savior Jesus Christ! And because we did, we were allowed to come to earth. I testify that by making the same choice to follow the Savior now, while we are here on earth, we will obtain an even greater blessing in the eternities. But let it be known: we must continue to choose to follow the Savior. Eternity is at stake, and our wise use of agency and our actions are essential that we might have eternal life.

Though He “was in all points tempted like as we are,” with every choice and every action He exercised the agency to be our Savior—to break the chains of sin and death for us. And by His perfect life, He taught us that when we choose to do the will of our Heavenly Father, our agency is preserved, our opportunities increase, and we progress.

Contrary to the world’s secular teaching, the scriptures teach us that we do have agency, and our righteous exercise of agency always makes a difference in the opportunities we have and our ability to act upon them and progress eternally.

I bear my special witness that They live. When we exercise our agency in righteousness, we come to know Them, become more like Them, and prepare ourselves for that day when “every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess” that Jesus is our Savior.

Boyd K. Packer
Latter-day Saints are not obedient because they are compelled to be obedient. They are obedient because they know certain spiritual truths and have decided, as an expression of their own individual agency, to obey the commandments of God.

Lucifer in clever ways manipulates our choices, deceiving us about sin and consequences. He, and his angels with him, tempt us to be unworthy, even wicked. But he cannot, in all eternity he cannot, with all his power he cannot completely destroy us; not without our own consent. Had agency come to man without the Atonement, it would have been a fatal gift.

D. Todd Christofferson
Moral discipline is the consistent exercise of agency to choose the right because it is right, even when it is hard.

Howard W. Hunter
Through Christ and his valiant defense of our Father’s plan, the course of agency and eternal aspirations prevailed. In that crucial, premortal setting, a major milestone was passed, a monumental victory was won. As a result, we would be allowed to continue to pursue what President David O. McKay once described as the “eternal principle of progress.” Later Christ himself would come to earth, President McKay noted, “to perfect society by perfecting the individual, and only by the exercising of Free Agency can the individual even approach perfection.”

To fully understand this gift of agency and its inestimable worth, it is imperative that we understand that God’s chief way of acting is by persuasion and patience and long-suffering, not by coercion and stark confrontation. He acts by gentle solicitation and by sweet enticement. He always acts with unfailing respect for the freedom and independence that we possess. He wants to help us and pleads for the chance to assist us, but he will not do so in violation of our agency. He loves us too much to do that, and doing so would run counter to his divine character.

David A. Bednar
In the grand division of all of God’s creations, there are things to act and things to be acted upon (see 2 Nephi 2:13–14). As sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father, we have been blessed with the gift of moral agency, the capacity for independent action and choice. Endowed with agency, you and I are agents, and we primarily are to act and not just be acted upon. To believe that someone or something can make us feel offended, angry, hurt, or bitter diminishes our moral agency and transforms us into objects to be acted upon. As agents, however, you and I have the power to act and to choose how we will respond to an offensive or hurtful situation.

Russell M. Nelson
One of the most important reasons is to receive a mortal body. Another is to be tested—to experience mortality—to determine what you will do with life’s challenging opportunities. Those opportunities require you to make choices, and choices depend on agency. A major reason for your mortal existence, therefore, is to test how you will exercise your agency.

The proper exercise of moral agency requires faith. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is the first principle of the gospel. (See A of F 1:4.) Because of Him, you have your agency. He must be the very foundation of your faith, and the testing of that faith is a fundamental reason for your freedom to choose.

Wilford Woodruff
By virtue of this agency you and I and all mankind are made responsible beings, responsible for the course we pursue, the lives we live, the deeds we do.

Etc., etc., etc.... It goes on and on. The teaching is SO plain.

Here are the scriptures on it: Vort - note D&C 58:28, Moses 6:56 and D&C 104:17

D&C 93:31
 Behold, here is the agency of man, and here is the condemnation of man; because that which was from the beginning is plainly manifest unto them, and they receive not the light.

Moses 4:3
Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him, and also, that I should give unto him mine own power; by the power of mine Only Begotten, I caused that he should be cast down;

D&C 101:78
That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.

Moses 7:32
The Lord said unto Enoch: Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency;

D&C 29:36
And it came to pass that Adam, being tempted of the devil—for, behold, the devil was before Adam, for he rebelled against me, saying, Give me thine honor, which is my power; and also a third part of the hosts of heaven turned he away from me because of their agency;

2 Nephi 2:8
Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise.

v16
Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself. Wherefore, man could not act for himself save it should be that he was enticed by the one or the other.

v26
And the Messiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day, according to the commandments which God hath given.

v27
Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.

D&C 58: 26-29
 26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

29 But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.

D&C 29:34-35

34 Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal; neither any man, nor the children of men; neither Adam, your father, whom I created.

35 Behold, I gave unto him that he should be an agent unto himself; and I gave unto him commandment, but no temporal commandment gave I unto him, for my commandments are spiritual; they are not natural nor temporal, neither carnal nor sensual.

Moses 6:56

And it is given unto them to know good from evil; wherefore they are agents unto themselves, and I have given unto you another law and commandment.

D&C 104:17

For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves.

Helaman 14:30
And now remember, remember, my brethren, that whosoever perisheth, perisheth unto himself; and whosoever doeth iniquity, doeth it unto himself; for behold, ye are free; ye are permitted to act for yourselves; for behold, God hath given unto you a knowledge and he hath made you free.

D&C 29:38
And it must needs be that the devil should tempt the children of men, or they could not be agents unto themselves; for if they never should have bitter they could not know the sweet—

D&C 37:4
Behold, here is wisdom, and let every man choose for himself until I come. Even so. Amen.

Etc., etc., etc.

This principle is NOT complicated. We are free to choose for ourselves, to act and not be acted upon, as relates to our own salvation or damnation.