Can Priesthood Blessings Be Given To Animals?

Well, I blessed a cow not too many hours ago. 

Of course I blessed it that it would "nourish and strengthen us", but hey....  :D  

Seriously, there isn't any Church teaching or policy that I'm aware of that prohibits it, but I would certainly be judicious in performing such a thing. 

The handbook doesn't give any explicit answer. However, in my opinion, the answer is quite obviously "no". Priesthood blessings, like Priesthood ordinances, are meant for the children of God. That means people, and not animals, receive Priesthood blessings. I know the story of Mary Fielding Smith requesting the "anointing" of her oxen, but one third-hand historical account does not a precedent set, at least in my mind.

Edited by Vort

I suppose it depends on the intent somewhat. Ask not that ye may consume it upon your lusts and all that. (Note: I'm not implying lusting after an animal here. But rather just the broad idea of doing it for selfish or silly, temporal reasons, rather than, perhaps, doing so for the kingdom of God, His purposes, and for the salvation of His children.)

You can pray for your own animals. When you have the Priesthood come and bless your home, be sure to inform them that you have pets [name them] and wish that they be included in the blessing the same as the human residents. 

We find it necessary for Husband to bless our home after every time one of his youngest brothers' daughters call us - they bring such chaos, disharmony and negativity. Even when the call is just a short: No I won't accept your collect call.

Our two cats act really strange after also. So we are sure to include them to be protected, and the adversary banished from not only the home, but from us and Fred & Ethel, our cats. 

I include them in my daily prayers. They are my family. More so than my blood kin. 

• 1 month later...
Guest MormonGator

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing it. But, doesn't the person or animal in this case have to have the faith to receive it?

That's a good question.

My thoughts only- Sometimes I think priesthood blessings have the dual benefit of blessing the animal/object/person receiving the blessing, and the priesthood holder himself. I've had the honor of blessing a few people (I've also done two baptisms) and all the times that I have done so have been amazing for me. Do I sound selfish saying that? I guess I do, but feeling the spirit in you is always an amazing feeling. 

That's a good question.

My thoughts only- Sometimes I think priesthood blessings have the dual benefit of blessing the animal/object/person receiving the blessing, and the priesthood holder himself. I've had the honor of blessing a few people (I've also done two baptisms) and all the times that I have done so have been amazing for me. Do I sound selfish saying that? I guess I do, but feeling the spirit in you is always an amazing feeling. 

My husband feels the same as you. It isn't always PH giving blessings who receive blessings. I have received blessings after I did acts of charities. 

I used to never ask for help from my VT or my Ward/Branch until my dearest friend/unofficially adopted sister/unofficial foster mom told me that by not asking and not accepting the help I was denying them their blessings that would be heaped upon them by Father. 

One thing I learned when I willingly and graciously accepted help and service from others, I, in turn, found more ways to help and serve others. 

• 8 months later...
On July 29, 2015 at 11:49 PM, LadyHanley93 said:

If one can consecrate/bless/dedicate a home i dont see how animals would be much different. I imagine that it would have to be necessary and it would different from blessing a person. IMO

using and fulfilling the priesthood should never be taken lightly.

Edited by Blackmarch