Just dropped off daughter@ mtc....

Str8Shooter

....and my head still hurts from crying.

I though it would be easier the second time around and it's worse for me. I know my daughter is a woman now, so why do I feel like I just dropped off my little red-haired 3 year old at the MTC?

I miss her already and it's only been 4 hours. :-(

You have my sympathy.

My second missionary comes home three weeks from today! It's almost two years since I've hugged him and talked face-to-face.

It may be small consolation, but you have two Christmases and a Mother's Day when you'll be able to see and talk with her. And she'll be home a month after that Christmas 2017 conversation. Time marches on.

I don't have kids, you know.

That's just the way it worked out.

But, I think you all can be rather glad you are dropping your kids off at MTC.

Rather than the county jail or a prison for them to begin their jail time.

So, I think you can be proud and happy that you done all right.

dc

....and my head still hurts from crying.

I though it would be easier the second time around and it's worse for me. I know my daughter is a woman now, so why do I feel like I just dropped off my little red-haired 3 year old at the MTC?

I miss her already and it's only been 4 hours. :-(

I can relate .... My son just turned 29. When we dropped him off at MTC I thought it would be easy for me after having served a mission. As a parent it was much harder. He served in Panama City Panama.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I feel ya. My second son left last week, and the house still feels so empty.

One of the general authoritis said mourning is one of the sincerest expression of pure love. He was talking about death, but I think it applies here.

My kids aren't there yet, but it's closer than I wish it was. I can't imagine being prouder than dropping them off at the MTC and/or seeing them sealed to good people. . . but the thought still makes my stomach flip.

I dropped my son off at the MTC a week ago today. 

I had a lump in my throat and an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach, and yet I was still happy. 

Isn't that a wonderful dichotomy! 

Where is your son going?

I dropped my son off at the MTC a week ago today. 

I had a lump in my throat and an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach, and yet I was still happy. 

Isn't that a wonderful dichotomy! 

Literate Parakeet (from this site) has a son who entered the MTC a week ago today too.

My RM daughter left last Saturday for a job in Japan. It could go anywhere from 1 - 5 years. Dropping her off at the airport was a completely different feeling from when she went to MTC. Going to MTC we knew that she'd be doing the Lord's work for the next 18 months, she was in the capable hands of a Mission President, and she'd be coming home at the end of it. Now it feels like shes' left the nest, and is all on her own in Japan. The upside is that we can skype with her whenever its convenient, and we are tremendously proud that she's earned this opportunity for herself but there is a still a lot of sadness that she's gone. :(   

Guest LiterateParakeet

So Capitalist Oinker, Literate Parakeet and Str8tshooter all have children in the MTC together? An interesting coincidence if they are all in the same MTC.

That would be interesting. But my missionary went to the Ghana MTC. :) If they are all in that one that would be really interesting!

Ahhhh I have 2 friends that live in Fort Collins. I need to tell them to look for an Elder Oinker.   :P

Whatever else you tell them, tell them not to offer to feed him. He's a 6'1", 175 lb. stomach. 

The $400 I'm paying to keep him in the mission field is a drop in the bucket compared to my grocery bill when he was at home.  :D

Guest MormonGator

You know I gotta say it. I admire you guys so much. I'm a convert so this whole mission thing is sort of new to me. I'm honestly not sure I would have the courage to drop my 18 year old off at the MTC and just let them go into the real world for two years. It must be so hard. 

I think the missionaries are, by far, the most undervalued and under appreciated people in the church-so are their families.  

Edited by MormonGator

• 1 year later...

We'd planned to travel with our son to drop him off at the the MTC in Provo.  When he received his call he was told to report to the CCM in Mexico City so we adjusted our plans and figured we'd take in some sights and still be able to make a warm hand off at the doorstep of the CCM.  As we coordinated with missionary travel they noted he would be collected at the airport by CCM personnel upon his arrival.  That kind of put a wrinkle in our plans which we ended up cancelling.  Putting this 18-year old on a flight to a foreign country that uses a different language without a friend or family member to greet him upon arrival was about the hardest thing I have ever done.  I spent the night before lying awake praying for him and pleading for strength for me and my wife.

As we were checking him in at the airport, the ticketing agent recognized this was an emotional event for us.  She gave us gate passes which allowed us though security and into the gate area.  Those extra 90 minutes with him were golden.  And then he left, entering the gangway with a smile on his face.......

On 8/1/2015 at 9:55 PM, David13 said:

I don't feed the missionaries at home, but take them out to restaurants.

Yes, they all seem to be able to eat like horses, even the skinny ones.

dc

This is sooo true!

We had 2 missionaries - one a 6'3" 250lb Samoan and the other a 5'5" 120lb Brazilian.  I kid you not, we went to Cici's pizza - all you can eat - and the Samoan downed the equivalent of 5 pizzas and the Brazilian probably had about 10... he stopped eating because it was already close to 9pm and they had to go home.  Otherwise, he'd keep eating!