I feel awful.....

bytor2112

A horrible man, with his guns and bows and arrows,

(It's bad enough when they just shoot at sparrows!)

Even Samson of old had the good grace to wrestle

So down with the killer of poor harmless Cecil!

I say we give Mr. Palmer the "Daniel" treatment. See how he likes that! 

In all seriousness I sympathize with the loss of a beloved animal, but I think Palmer is getting the brunt of the media nastiness when the idiot guides who dropped the ball are more deserving.

But we make our funnies, too. Driving through Bear World yesterday a bear would not get out of the path of the car and we realized we couldn't just run over the bear because look what happened to the guy who shot the lion and do we really want to be the people who hit a bear?

Welcome to the power of the media... it is so powerful it makes a majority out of a teeny tiny minority and makes a teeny tiny minority out of the majority.

It's time for people to rise up and make their voices heard.  Freedom of speech does not matter if you have no voice.

I am not a hunter and candidly feel much more sympathy for the cute little deer than the big cat. Cecil likely brutally killed anything that was weaker and smaller that came in his path and ripped it to shreds and ate it. Cecil met someone smarter and more powerful than Cecil. Such is the code that animal lived by....

It may have been illegal to kill Cecil, but as I understand it it is not illegal to hunt big game in Zimbabwe and it is not illegal to kill lions. 

What really is stunning, is what issues people want to get all disturbed by versus the ones that are truly horrific that they mostly ignore or somehow justify. The fact that people want to see this dentist extradited to Zimbabwe and have his life destroyed and perhaps his families for killing a lion is pretty twisted. 

What truly sickens me is the mob mentality of social media. So let's say this guy killed an animal illegally. Sure, he should pay a price and that price should hurt enough that he doesn't do it again, but that should be determined by the country that this happened in first off. 

This guys life might be ruined because of the media on this. So now the internet will serve justice to this man (which affects his family) without any rules of law being followed, we judge and destroy people on minimal facts. Social justice seems to be in full affect in the US. 

I truly hope that I or anyone I love never makes a mistake that ends up on social media. Cyber bullying at it's worst!!

Edited by EarlJibbs

People have this amazing capacity in their brains. It is called the ability to multitask. They also have this amazing capacity in their spirits. It is called empathy.

Lions have a more limited capacity to feel empathy for their food. But I have yet to see one kill prey and mount them on their cave wall. 

Oh, they absolutely do the feline equivalent. They play with their food while it's still alive.

Maybe we humans should use our "amazing capacity" to figure out that suctioning apart unborn children and selling off their organs is vastly more evil than accidentally shooting the wrong lion.

For the record, I have never understood nor condoned trophy hunting, and am not myself a hunter. But I am intelligent and honest enough to know and acknowledge that meat doesn't come from the store.

I am trying to picture Jesus with Cecil's head on His living room wall. It is not coming in clear for me. Wonder if there is a reason for that.

There are so many things I can't picture Jesus having - well, pretty much anything outside the temple.  Yet, I read in the scriptures he hung out with people I couldn't imagine myself hanging out with.  So, I'm thinking, the reason for that is somewhere inside my head.

Odd that he went to a dentist for such a very late term abortion, though.

I was going to try for a witty retort about self-abortion, but I thought better of it. Elective abortion itself is such a ghastly topic that I don't like to joke about it. And I think trophy hunting is a bad thing that cankers the souls of its participants; I remember President Kimball's talk about "Don't Kill the Little Birds" and think its message appropriate. This is even more true when the animal is of a threatened species. Who are we to destroy what God has created? If a dam would wipe out the snail darter or a development threaten the existence of the snowy owl, then the dam or the development should be altered or left unbuilt.

But I am dismayed and even disgusted that our society as a whole mourns the death of a lion that, before yesterday, no one had ever heard of, while millions of our own children are prenatally destroyed and their body parts "harvested", and no one can be bothered to worry about it. JAG's quote in my signature is appropriate and, I think, literally true.

After my dismal attempt at lion-related poetry earlier in this thread, I can't resist sharing something by one of the great masters!

To be read in a Lancastrian accent (or the best approximation you can manage)...

THE LION AND ALBERT

by Marriot Edgar

There’s a famous seaside place called Blackpool,
That’s noted for fresh air and fun,
 And Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom
 Went there with young Albert, their son.

A grand little lad was young Albert,
 All dressed in his best; quite a swell
With a stick with an ‘orse’s ‘ead ‘andle,
The finest that Woolworth’s could sell.

They didn’t think much to the Ocean:
The waves, they was fiddlin’ and small,
 There was no wrecks and nobody drownded,
 Fact, nothing to laugh at at all.

So, seeking for further amusement,
 they paid and went into the Zoo,
Where they’d Lions and Tigers and Camels,
 And old ale and sandwiches too.

There were one great big Lion called Wallace;
 His nose were all covered with scars-
 He lay in a somnolent posture,
 With the side of his face on the bars.

Now Albert had heard about Lions,
 How they was ferocious and wild-
 To see Wallace lying so peaceful,

Well, it didn’t seem right to the child.

So straightway the brave little feller,
 Not showing a morsel of fear,
Took his stick with it’s’orse’s ‘ead ‘andle
...And pushed it in Wallace’s ear.

You could see that the Liion didn’t like it,
 For giving a kind of a roll,
He pulled Albert inside the cage with ‘im,
And swallowed the little lad ‘ole.

Then Pa, who had seen the occurence,
And didn’t know what to do next,
Said “Mother! Yon Lion’s ‘et Albert”,
And Mother said, ‘Well I am vexed!”

Then Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom-
Quite rightly, when all’s said and done-
Complained to the Animal Keeper,
 That the Lion had eaten their son.

The keeper was quite nice about it;
He said “What a nasty mishap.
Are you sure that it’s your boy he’s eaten?”
Pa said “Am I sure? There’s his cap!”

The manager had to be sent for.
He came and he said “What’s to do?”
Pa said “Yon Lion’s ‘et Albert,
And ‘im in his Sunday clothes, too.”

The Mother said, “Right’s right, young feller;
I think it’s a shame and a sin,
 For a lion to go and eat Albert,
And after we’ve paid to come in.”

The manager wanted no trouble,
 He took out his purse right away,
Saying “How much to settle the matter?”
And Pa said “What do you usually pay?”

But Mother had turned a bit awkward
 When she thought where her Albert had gone.
She said “No! someone’s got to be summonsed”-
So that was decided upon.

Then off they went to the P’lice Station,
 In front of the Magistrate chap;
They told ‘im what happened to Albert,
 And proved it by showing his cap.

The Magistrate gave his opinion
 That no one was really to blame
 And he said that he hoped the Ramsbottoms
 Would have further sons to their name.

At that Mother got proper blazing,
“And thank you, sir, kindly,” said she.
“What waste all our lives raising children
To feed ruddy Lions? Not me!”

Edited by Jamie123

I am trying to picture Jesus with Cecil's head on His living room wall. It is not coming in clear for me. Wonder if there is a reason for that.

Perhaps this is why - Jesus had no living room wall

• Matthew 8:20

20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.