I feel awful.....

bytor2112

A horrible man, with his guns and bows and arrows,

(It's bad enough when they just shoot at sparrows!)

Even Samson of old had the good grace to wrestle

So down with the killer of poor harmless Cecil!

I say we give Mr. Palmer the "Daniel" treatment. See how he likes that! 

"wrestle/Cecil"? Really? I was thinking something more like:

In Zimbabwe, some poor fool safari'd a rental

(He should have stuck to matters dental)

And found himself facing a runaway diesel

When word got out that he'd shot down Cecil

In any case, I enjoyed your whimsical poesy.

I think it would flow better if you added "poor" before Cecil. ;)

heheh.

Andandanswer, so you think Jesus would hang a lions head in his mansion on high? Jesus did a lot of things you dnt do in the temple. He want to parties. He ate with his friends. He laughed. There are a lot of good things in this world that arent in the temple and Jesus seems just like the person to enjoy them. There is an apocraphal story of Jesus first miracle that involved him as a boy raising a bird from the dead. True or not, I can see this a lot faster than him killing for fun. 
Cats do play with their food. When they are dead they generally eat them or give them to their 'tribe'. They do not make a den to show off how cool they are with dead mice heads. 

Cats do play with their food. When they are dead they generally eat them or give them to their 'tribe'. They do not make a den to show off how cool they are with dead mice heads. 

Seriously? You don't think that cats dragging dead birds and mice to their owners is an attempt to curry favor and establish position?

I hate the hypocrisy in our society. I hate the fact that the value of a human heart is worth more than the human life. I hate that there are individuals who are so blinded by their self desires that they are willing to abuse another person for their personal benefit and gain. It is sick that our society condones the slaughter of persons who have entact organs, the organs being valuable enough to salvage because of their worth to the adults, but the life itself, the person themselves, is worthless! How sick! How twisted! How awful! How gross!

It is so sick and disgusting when we live in a society where our children are used to fulfill and prolong the life of the adults rather than the adults sacrificing everything so that the next generation can live and be happy.

With all of this going on, we dare make an uproar about the life of a lion! It is the hypocrisy that I hate. I hate what the hypocrisy tells me about some people and our society in general.

-Finrock

I get the emotions over Cecil. I myself do see the unfortunate tragedy here.

But... to say that people are capable of multiple feelings while only focusing on one story is pretty much a cowardly defense. Your selection of what you discuss on social media says much of what you value. All of what you value? Of course not. But it does reveal much of what you're thinking about.

So if the lion story morally bothers you, fine, discuss it and express it. But don't say that your one-tract focus on it doesn't mean you're not just as outraged by other events. If you were, you'd include those events in your outrage.

My other criticism is I wonder how people would react if the dead animal were something less "cool" than a lion.

Perhaps this is why - Jesus had no living room wall

• Matthew 8:20

20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.

That just implies He has no bedroom; nothing about the living room except that He needs a comfy couch.

Not bad, not bad at all :) though I suspect you and I don't pronounce "Cecil" quite the same way!

Goodness knows I am as upset about the Planned Parenthood evil as anyone.

But I don't like this making light of the other thing, either. Let's not forget that God gave Adam dominion over the beasts of the earth, as a steward, not to kill them for fun or then joke about it.

But I don't like this making light of the other thing, either. Let's not forget that God gave Adam dominion over the beasts of the earth, as a steward, not to kill them for fun or then joke about it.

Yes indeed - God rest his tawny soul. (And "boo" to Mr Palmer!)

What you say is true, viewed in isolation. But you seem to miss the bigger picture.

Let's say that every day when I go to school, someone calls me a nasty name. Also, every day when she goes to school, my little sister gets beaten up. Broken teeth, broken nose, these things are common.

Now, my parents are completely ignoring my little sister's plight. But I complain long and loud that someone on the bus is calling me a nasty name every day, and my parents are right there, filled with righteous indignation. They're calling the mayor's office, hiring an attorney to threaten the school district with a million-dollar lawsuit, demanding that the bus driver be summarily fired and brought to trial for allowing such awfulness.

Meanwhile, my little sister keeps getting the snot beaten out of her on a daily basis, mostly to the sound of crickets.

Do you see the problem here? Do you see why otherwise sympathetic people might actually mock my "problems" because of the vast hypocrisy of our parents' actions?

What you say is true, viewed in isolation. But you seem to miss the bigger picture.

Let's say that every day when I go to school, someone calls me a nasty name. Also, every day when she goes to school, my little sister gets beaten up. Broken teeth, broken nose, these things are common.

Now, my parents are completely ignoring my little sister's plight. But I complain long and loud that someone on the bus is calling me a nasty name every day, and my parents are right there, filled with righteous indignation. They're calling the mayor's office, hiring an attorney to threaten the school district with a million-dollar lawsuit, demanding that the bus driver be summarily fired and brought to trial for allowing such awfulness.

Meanwhile, my little sister keeps getting the snot beaten out of her on a daily basis, mostly to the sound of crickets.

Do you see the problem here? Do you see why otherwise sympathetic people might actually mock my "problems" because of the vast hypocrisy of our parents' actions?

I agree - but it's understandable though. Unless you've suffered the plight of Albert's parents, a lion is basically just a larger version of Tibbles your household cat, who butts you affectionately with his head and purrs when you stroke him.

Tibbles is a member of your family; if your neighbour did anything to hurt him (deliberately) you would want to knock his block off! And that's exactly how you feel about nasty Mr. Palmer! (Booooo!!!) You know full well that there are worse criminals than your neighbour, but that doesn't make you feel any differently.

You also could use the "there are worse tragedies" to justify all sorts of mockery; like that sarcastic readhead who sang "Cry Me a River" over a male suicide victim because women supposedly have it so much worse*. And there was Richard Dawkins (yes - the atheist/evolution guy) mocking a women who complained she was harassed in an elevator... not because she didn't find the experience distressing but because Muslim women have bigger problems than she does.

Returning to the matter of Cecil, I think there's also something about the Anglo-Saxon mindset that favours animals over people. Why, for example, do we so often anthropomorphize animals and substitute them for people in children's stories? (Consider Arthur, Timothy Goes to School, Rupert, Berenstain Bears... etc.) We get more upset about the mistreatment of animals than we do over the mistreatment of people. Most of us I think recognize that this is wrong and fight against the urge, but the urge is there nevertheless.

*I did put a YouTube link here, but on second thoughts I removed it as she's a regular potty-mouth.

Edited by Jamie123

Jamie, I largely agree with you, but this is not a matter of people saying, "Don't worry about Cecil. The world has bigger problems." This is a matter of the mass media (and the populist equivalent, FB) exploding in outrage over a lion getting shot while almost completely ignoring an unspeakably vile holocaust. It is the unabashed hypocrisy being derided.

Or, probably, "diesel". Which was the point of my little rhyme. :)

Not knocking your poem Vort :)

Maybe this will help clear things up:

Words I would rhyme with Cecil:

Wrestle

Trestle

Bessel (as in Bessel functions)

Vessel

David Jessel (British TV presenter) 

Words I would rhyme with Diesel:

Easel

Beezle (nut used to make the oil that Horton's dust-speck is nearly boiled in)

Measle (you usually get more than one)

Teasel

Weasel

Edited by Jamie123

Not knocking your poem Vort :)

Maybe this will help clear things up:

Words I would rhyme with Cecil:

Wrestle

Trestle

Bessel (as in Bessel functions)

Vessel

David Jessel (British TV presenter) 

Words I would rhyme with Diesel:

Easel

Beezle (nut used to make the oil that Horton's dust-speck is nearly boiled in)

Measle (you usually get more than one)

Teasel

Weasel

Whereas I would rhyme "diesel" with "niece'll" (as in, "My niece'll be by to get that"). But I think that puts me in a small minority, even in the US.