post-death political activity?

askandanswer

It certainly seems there was so in the pre-mortal existence. Those in lower kingdoms, I assume, are not perfectly aligned with the Fathers will and so will have their own ideas.

I'm going with yes, in some manner we will have groups of ideologies in the next life.

I think that as long as there is agency there will be variety and once you get variety you get supporters and opponents. Its purely speculative, as far as I know, but I believe that when the Quorum of the Twelve and the First Presidency meet, even though they might be perfectly united on what they are seeking to accomplish, there might not always be perfect unity on every issue while it is still in the discussion phase and there would be some variety of opinion on how to accomplish a given outcome. In such circumstances, it seems fair to assume that those for and against a particular position will try to influence the thinking of others. 

And just as today, once the Prophet makes a decision and speaks, what the Prophet says goes, so it might be in the Celestial Kingdom - what Christ says will go. But in the processes leading up to the saying,  or the decision, there may well be a lot of room for robust discussion and politicking. 

I've thought about this a little more. The only reason why I can think there would be politicking in the next life is if there are some decisions that still need to be made. I'm not sure if this is the case. To suggest that there are some decisions that still need to be made might imply that the Plan of Salvation is incomplete and still has some gaps. This seems to be unlikely, unless, of course, God has deliberately left some gaps so that we might grow by having the opportunity to make those decisions. But if there are no further decisions to be made, I'm not sure how much scope there would be for political activities. 

I think one of the reasons for this life is learning to align our will with His. So when we are (hopefully) with Him again, like you said, there won't be anything to debate. 

Don't forget the spirit world, too. Even if all is decided post-resurrection (hard to say for sure), things don't suddenly get clear for everyone the instant we die. I suspect there is quite a bit of discussion and debate amongst the disembodied spirits.

The good news: if there are debates and such in the celestial kingdom, they should be fully constructive and positive since the participants will actually be humble, patient, and anxious to listen and learn!

Im with vort on this one. In the sense politics is how people interact with each other and further more, how they get other people to act.

will it be anything like how it is in the US gov? Nope. ( probably the best insight would be to see how Christ has organized his House on the earth through the ages)

As spirits in the pre-existence, there was an unmade decision - who shall I send - and this led to some politicking, the ultimate outcome of which was war and banishment. It would seem a little odd if, as glorified beings, we did not have the opportunity or ability to participate in a process that we were able to participate in as mere spirits

One thing we do know about the post-mortal spirit world -- we will have the same character and personality there as we do here.  This leads me to believe there will be leaders of the opposition there attempting to exert their influence (at least prior to the Final Judgement).

Just my opinion.  I'm not often wrong... well, I do remember once when I thought I was wrong but it later turned out......

oh, nevermind.

Edited by cdowis

I do not think it will be politics as usual.  Any claim or accusation will be instantly verifiable and all lies will be obvious.  Debates will not be near as fun or exciting.  I suspect that other "things" will fill our entertainments.

I think there will still be a variety of opinions held, and possibly some scope for alternative courses of action, as long as those actions meet an agreed on objective. Varied opinions and the opportunity to act on them seem to be two of the most important precursors, or requirements, for political action.

I do not think it will be politics as usual.  Any claim or accusation will be instantly verifiable and all lies will be obvious.  

Interesting.  People are still people.

Are you familiar with Laman's and Lemuel's response after the angel had visited them?

Also Luke 16 [30] And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

[31] And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.