Church releases picture of seer-stone

classylady

http://www.mormonwomenstand.com/seer-stone-faith-miracles/

If you think the Church has kept the seer stone a secret, you need to read this article. 

I read this article.  I must be a dummy like Omega, because it no where scripturaly references a "seer stone".  I guess I have a lack of comprehension.  The article references lots of scriptures that talk about the urim and thummin, and their origins, and how they were used (somewhat) in the translation process....  But it does not specifically represent the seer stone as a urim and thummin.  In fact, the article is clear that the seer stone is not urim and thummin.....

I couldn't find the D&C reference to the seer stone either...

No secret for those who look for the information, but it is not part of our curriculum and outside of this forum many are/were unaware of its existence.

See picture posted above posted by mdfxdb. Certainly we can teach the "translation" process correctly. 

Which translation process are we supposed to be teaching? The Martin Harris version? The David Whitmer version? The Emma Smith version?

LOL.....Omega can't read.......

So do you guys like sit around in your office and talk about what to post on lds.net and laugh at what other people have posted and collaborate on your arguments, or what?

Which translation process are we supposed to be teaching? The Martin Harris version? The David Whitmer version? The Emma Smith version?

We need to pick one, we could teach 3 versions of the first vision but we don't.

We need to teach the version that is accepted by the GA of the church. Which it seems is not the one taught currently in primary.

We need to pick one, we could teach 3 versions of the first vision but we don't.

We need to teach the version that is accepted by the GA of the church. Which it seems is not the one taught currently in primary.

Which 3 of the Gospels in the New Testament ought to be tossed, then?

So do you guys like sit around in your office and talk about what to post on lds.net and laugh at what other people have posted and collaborate on your arguments, or what?

That happens sometime, most often I have no idea what mdfxdb is going to post until he does, but if there is an opportunity to take a jab at me he does.

The seer stone is the Urim and Thummim referred to in the D&C. 

Per the article you quoted:

The Seer Stone and the Urim and Thummin used by Joseph Smith are different things with similar functions

It possessed the qualities of Urim and Thummim, since by means of it…Joseph was able to translate the characters engraven on the plates.” (Roberts, B.H. Comprehensive History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Volume 1: 129)

The Urim and Thummim so spoken of, however, was the seer stone which was in the possession of the Prophet Joseph Smith in early days. This seer stone is currently in the possession of the Church. 

Per the srticle you posted they seem to make a pretty clear distinction about what is a seer stone and what is the urim and thummin

Per the article you quoted:

The Seer Stone and the Urim and Thummin used by Joseph Smith are different things with similar functions

It possessed the qualities of Urim and Thummim, since by means of it…Joseph was able to translate the characters engraven on the plates.” (Roberts, B.H. Comprehensive History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Volume 1: 129)

The Urim and Thummim so spoken of, however, was the seer stone which was in the possession of the Prophet Joseph Smith in early days. This seer stone is currently in the possession of the Church. 

Per the srticle you posted they seem to make a pretty clear distinction about what is a seer stone and what is the urim and thummin

Guest MormonGator

http://www.mormonwomenstand.com/seer-stone-faith-miracles/

If you think the Church has kept the seer stone a secret, you need to read this article. 

Totally, 100% agree. Often times the church is accused of "hiding things" but in reality, most people just chose to ignore it or can't be bothered to take the work to find out. 

That's right it wasn't the urim and thummin after all it was the seer stone.

Again please reference the section and versus in D&C that discusses the seer stone. If you can't back up your claim then the conversation must come to an end. 

I bolded the part where you answered your own question. THE SEER STONE IS THE URIM AND THUMMIM referred to in D&C. No, it hasn't been spoon-fed to the members, but a little study shows that the information is there. Should the church be writing diagrams and meticulously explaining every little bit of history that might possibly be understood, ever? We do have some responsibility of our own, do we not? Do you think that might be why we're counseled to read the scriptures daily, and meet together oft? 

Guest MormonGator

I bolded the part where you answered your own question. THE SEER STONE IS THE URIM AND THUMMIM referred to in D&C. No, it hasn't been spoon-fed to the members, but a little study shows that the information is there. Should the church be writing diagrams and meticulously explaining every little bit of history that might possibly be understood, ever? We do have some responsibility of our own, do we not? Do you think that might be why we're counseled to read the scriptures daily, and meet together oft? 

Exactly. 

Forgive me for ever standing on the same side of anything as omega, for which I am truly ashamed....

...haha...j/k....(though I certainly am ashamed of his rudeness)

Honestly though, I've looked at all the references in the D&C about the Urim and Thummim and they are all, fairly clearly, not speaking of the seer stone.

Edited by The Folk Prophet