Have we distanced ourselves from Brigham Young?

ItsRoger

Thanks for all the great responses! I'll add a few tidbits.

1: When starting this thread, I had no intention of belittling the prophet Brigham Young or tearing him down. As a matter of fact, Brigham is one of my role models as a convert, and somebody who has a similar testimony of the Book of Mormon. If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be an LDS Church as we know it today.

2: I know a lot of people bring up the Adam God Doctrine. A disclaimer that I'm a relatively new 21 year old convert who has yet to go through the temple. The minimal research I've done on the A-D-G, I can see why that may be controversial. Is this something I should worry about researching?

3: Are there any good church movies that serve as a biographical count of Brigham Young's journey and/or life? I'm currently reading a Brigham Young documentary by John G. Turner, and it has been more than fair. 

Thanks guys!

-Roger in Missouri

Okay so that was Brigham Young.  163 years ago.  Anything in the past 30 years?  You have made it sound as if it happens frequently.  Because if that is the only example...I'd think it pretty safe to say that false doctrine is not taught from the pulpit at General Conference.

It was not my intent to make it sound that way. And as I said, I'm not going to list examples, because that would be counter-productive. Anyone interested in the subject of false doctrine can do the research themselves - but false doctrine is perhaps not a field a person should spend time becoming an expert in.

Thanks for all the great responses! I'll add a few tidbits.

1: When starting this thread, I had no intention of belittling the prophet Brigham Young or tearing him down. As a matter of fact, Brigham is one of my role models as a convert, and somebody who has a similar testimony of the Book of Mormon. If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be an LDS Church as we know it today.

2: I know a lot of people bring up the Adam God Doctrine. A disclaimer that I'm a relatively new 21 year old convert who has yet to go through the temple. The minimal research I've done on the A-D-G, I can see why that may be controversial. Is this something I should worry about researching?

3: Are there any good church movies that serve as a biographical count of Brigham Young's journey and/or life? I'm currently reading a Brigham Young documentary by John G. Turner, and it has been more than fair. 

Thanks guys!

-Roger in Missouri

1: As I said - I'm gaining a greater appreciation for him. So yay :)

2: My two cents: NEVER be worried about the truth. Just remember the source of all truth is God, not history books or the Journal of Discourses. If you ever find a teaching in the church that worries you, take it to God in prayer. He will answer you and instruct you in what is right.

3: "The Mountain of the Lord" is perhaps one of the most famous and best, though it's more about the temple than Brigham. I'm not aware of anything else, it already sounds like you do more reading than I do ;) though most of the first-hand stuff you can find in Journal of Discourses or History of the Church. 

I think Brigham was a great Prophet. He was definitely an inspired and inspiring man, who held the Church together during one of its most difficult times following the death of Joseph and the forced removal across the plains. One of the problems we run into is that many fundamentalists seem to think that revelation stopped with Brigham or shortly thereafter. Those same fundamentalists like to point to the mainstream church, the one that most likely excommunicated them or their fathers, and claim that this is not the same church that Brigham presided over.

But that 'criticism' is somewhat true. We aren't the same. That does not mean that our doctrine or tenets have changed. Truth has not changed. Yes, we do some things differently now than we did then. But just as Brigham did some things differently than Joseph, successive Prophets have done and said things differently than Brigham. That's why we we have living Prophets, so that we can constantly receive 'course corrections', and remain on the path laid out by Jesus Christ. We receive revelation from our current Prophets to help us deal with today's issues and problems, so that we don't remain stuck in the 1850's mindset. We live in 2015, not 1865. I for one, am glad that we get those things, those renewed focuses, those 'course corrections' so that we can deal with today's world, not the world of our ancestors.

If you want a good read, turn to the Journal of Discourses and read about Brigham Young’s thoughts on inhabiting the moon and the people 20 feet tall that reside there.  These are not doctrinal teachings and such should be taken very lightly when researching the church.

We live in a current time of transparency where the church is being more open.  Which I am very happy about, I've gotten to know more insight into early church practices and teachings. 

Critics will always look for the faults in our leaders and never the good.  Their sole purpose is to show offense and cause offense in this pc rubbish world.  But I say let them stand on their soapbox and rant all they want.  We have ordinary men called as prophets and apostles to lead this church, who I will always support. 

How about the example I already gave?

The first recorded explanation of the "Adam–God" doctrine was by Brigham Young, who first taught the doctrine at the church's spring general conference on April 9, 1852. (JoD, v1, p. 46-53)

In 1976, church president Spencer W. Kimball stated "We denounce that theory and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine." (Conference Report, p. 115, October 1-3, 1976)

Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing more about this. Obviously, you have the text that Brigham Young spoke during that general conference, correct?

Can you point me to it? I want to know exactly what was said, and how, so that I might better understand where Brigham Young was coming from.

It seems like at one point in history, LDS members embraced Young as "The Lion of the Lord", "Brother Brigham", and even "The American Moses". These days, it's difficult to have a discussion with a fellow member regarding Brigham Young. The more evolved we become in history, the more distant the Church seems to become when it comes to our 2nd Prophet.

In fact, as of 5 minutes ago, when I googled "Brigham Young LDS", the only Brigham Young article on LDS.Org went to an "Access Denied" screen and didn't let me view it. Perhaps that's a server issue, but it's pretty telling nonetheless.

What do you guys think?

I have only had Joseph Smith confirmed as a prophet/seer of God so cant comment in truth on any others, however I have seen things said by Brigham Young which do not feel is from inspiration by Holy Spirit. We must remember that even Joseph smith said a prophet can error, they are after all only human. I can however say that Joseph Smith was indeed a prophet and had power to back it up. The church has also said at times not everything is confirmed revelation and personal opinions of authority's are not considered church doctrine. 

How about the example I already gave?

The first recorded explanation of the "Adam–God" doctrine was by Brigham Young, who first taught the doctrine at the church's spring general conference on April 9, 1852. (JoD, v1, p. 46-53)

In 1976, church president Spencer W. Kimball stated "We denounce that theory and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine." (Conference Report, p. 115, October 1-3, 1976)

I addressed this claim in another thread. http://lds.net/forums/topic/44152-where-does-it-say-the-prophet-cannot-lead-us-astray/?p=830125

Based on the evidence that I've seen, I don't believe he ever taught such a doctrine. 

If you want a good read, turn to the Journal of Discourses and read about Brigham Young’s thoughts on inhabiting the moon and the people 20 feet tall that reside there.  These are not doctrinal teachings and such should be taken very lightly when researching the church.

I believe YOU need to "turn to the Journal of Discourses" and read what is actually there instead of just making things up.
I'll even save you some time by pointing you to the right volume and page. (13:270)