Are you starting to feel warm? - 08/10/15

pam

Yes, I am getting warm. I am ashamed of my tolerance for sin, but I am not sure what to do about it in many cases. Is there a reasonable middle ground between watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or Firefly and just giving up TV altogether?

Some of my children (an adult and two minors) invited me to watch a movie with them, Shanghai Noon. It was a Jackie Chan movie that I had watched years ago with my wife and didn't remember well (though I do remember that we didn't walk out of the theater). I watched it with my children, and was uncomfortable with the bad language and occasional suggestive scenes. Perhaps I should have nixed it and said, "Not in my house!" I'm sure that I blew it with regard to that, but I struggle to know how to react to such things appropriately.

I am reminded of a Church object lesson, eating cookies that you are then told accidentally had some dog doo included when being made. Do you still want to eat the cookies? What if it's just a little bit of dog doo, not very much? A teaspoon? Half a teaspoon? I mean, you know, it does give the cookies that extra little zing.

Realistically, how much dog poop is appropriate for a batch of cookies? What is our maximum daily dog poop exposure limit? If the true answer is "none at all", then does that suggest we simply give up cookies altogether? I kind of expect the answer is yes, but I am not sure how to divorce myself so totally from the dog-poop world we live in.

Yes, I am getting warm. I am ashamed of my tolerance for sin, but I am not sure what to do about it in many cases. Is there a reasonable middle ground between watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or Firefly and just giving up TV altogether?

Some of my children (an adult and two minors) invited me to watch a movie with them, Shanghai Noon. It was a Jackie Chan movie that I had watched years ago with my wife and didn't remember well (though I do remember that we didn't walk out of the theater). I watched it with my children, and was uncomfortable with the bad language and occasional suggestive scenes. Perhaps I should have nixed it and said, "Not in my house!" I'm sure that I blew it with regard to that, but I struggle to know how to react to such things appropriately.

I am reminded of a Church object lesson, eating cookies that you are then told accidentally had some dog doo included when being made. Do you still want to eat the cookies? What if it's just a little bit of dog doo, not very much? A teaspoon? Half a teaspoon? I mean, you know, it does give the cookies that extra little zing.

Realistically, how much dog poop is appropriate for a batch of cookies? What is our maximum daily dog poop exposure limit? If the true answer is "none at all", then does that suggest we simply give up cookies altogether? I kind of expect the answer is yes, but I am not sure how to divorce myself so totally from the dog-poop world we live in.

I understand what you mean .... I also have an opinion with my kids about some movies they watch. All my kids are adults and married and they will talk about watching certain movies .... My opinion is I choose not to watch movies that are thrillers. Some others or yourself might not agree with me but that's ok. I don't want that feeling in my home those type of movies create. Again that's just my opinion.