Evidence of modern day Prophets, shown in restraint of new proclamations.

Pa Pa

I recently did some research on the Church of Christ (RLDS) and found that almost every "Prophet" since the split within the Church in 1844, with the death of the Prophet Joseph Smith, have published new canonized scripture. It seems to me the outsider that each Prophet have tried to publish scripture as evidence that they are "indeed" Prophets.

This juxtaposed to our leadership, where nothing has been canonized since 1918 (other than in proclamation or Manifesto form). This type of restraint and absolute reverence suggests to me that those called and ordained do not feel the need to publish, but to proclam. These men do not see the need to add anything unless called upon to do so by the Lord. It is a quiet form of leadership, one in which these men are changed by the calling instead of trying to change the calling.

Any thoughts, agree or disagree. Much of what I am talking about is based of reading about the lives of these men, from Joseph to Tomas...the simple humility of Joseph's predecessors who are there simply to serve without fan fair, for the most part.

Yeah, I think that's an interesting observation.

Joseph Smith set up the foundations for the restored gospel. It wasn't everything there is to know, but it was what was needed. I recall that after he introduced the endowment and temple ordinances, he rejoiced and said something to the effect that he was glad/relieved to have finished what he was sent to do with the time he had left (he knew he was going to die at least 5 years before he did). It wasn't too long after that that he was martyred.

Some stuff has been added since, but it's mostly just been re-affirmation and preaching of the gospel, messages from the Lord to the Church about what we need for our spiritual growth at that time.

I'm not one to study other faiths beyond basic tenents, so I'm not familiar with RLDS. However, I think your argument would require an example of what "revelations" or "new scriptures" are cannonized by them to show if they are contradictory to our own prophets. Put aside of course that they obviously accept their prophet as the prophet and that is in conflict, but what specific doctrine is contrary?  I say this only as an intellectual excercise. 

If the Pope of the Roman Catholic church declared what is in essence our Word of Wisdom, we wouldn't be able to use that to say he isn't a prophet.

I'm not one to study other faiths beyond basic tenents, so I'm not familiar with RLDS. However, I think your argument would require an example of what "revelations" or "new scriptures" are cannonized by them to show if they are contradictory to our own prophets. Put aside of course that they obviously accept their prophet as the prophet and that is in conflict, but what specific doctrine is contrary?  I say this only as an intellectual excercise. 

Well, two I know of are they gave women the priesthood and allow practicing gays as part of their org.

I feel like just because they aren't bound in leather with gold-trimmed pages doesn't mean all the conference talks and home teaching messages and visiting teaching messages and such aren't canonized scripture.  What they aren't part of is the Standard Works, if that's what you're referring to.

Edited by Laniston