Don't get close to the fire - 08/13/15

pam

• 4 months later...

This quote presented as is, is misleading.  Here is the rest of the quote.

It is not good practice to become intrigued by Satan and his mysteries. No good can come from getting close to evil. Like playing with fire, it is too easy to get burned: “The knowledge of sin tempteth to its commission” (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1939, p. 373). The only safe course is to keep well distanced from him and any of his wicked activities or nefarious practices. The mischief of devil worship, sorcery, casting spells, witchcraft, voodooism, black magic, and all other forms of demonism should be avoided like the plague.

However, Brigham Young said that it is important to “study … evil, and its consequences” (Discourses of Brigham Young, comp. John A. Widtsoe, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1941, pp. 256–57).

Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, James E. Faust and H. Verlan Andersen all have stated that we need to understand how Satan is deceiving us.  To do that you need to gain knowledge of how he deceives us while keeping away from the knowledge of how to commit the sins Satan promotes: "The mischief of devil worship, sorcery, casting spells, witchcraft, voodooism, black magic, and all other forms of demonism should be avoided like the plague." 

I don't see it as misleading at all.  There are two parts of learning about Satan.  

1) The academic and spiritual aspects which the prophets warn us about.  

2) The worldly practices which are the fire spoken of which you also condemned a study of.

I don't think anyone here believes the quote is meant to say it is taboo to say "Satan tempts us and tries us with X."    "X" being the tool discussed at the moment (anger, hatred, depression, discouragement, pride, etc.).

I know this is one of your pet projects.  And you do what you have to do.  But I'd warn that when you get too far into the bushes, it begins to cast a dark shadow on both you and those around you.  How far is "too far"?  That's something you really need to be careful of because there is no definite line.  But when you or others start feeling the darkness, be sure to bring in some light.