High Council

bytor2112

I was recently released as the EQP after 5 years and today was called to serve on the High Council. So, I am looking for comments about the High Council. What is it's function and what do members of the High Council do? I have a very general understanding, so, any information is greatly appreciated.

Well, there’s speaking in different wards once a month. There’s stake meetings but I wouldn’t know how often they have those. And there’s disciplinary councils.

Our ward has a high councilman over us. I don’t know how common that is. I had never heard of it until I became a member of this ward. He comes to our sacrament meeting and sits with the bishopric on the stand, not all the time but quite often. And he is involved in our ward bishopric and council meetings, not sure how often.

I know there’s a high councilor over the stake primary. I imagine he has meetings with the stake primary presidency. He is more often than not at stake baptisms and helping to direct things there.

The high councilman who spoke in our ward today talked about one of his assignments being the guy over the buildings, whatever that entails. I guess making sure everything works and they are well supplied—not sure. He counseled us to treat our building well because it needs to last a long time.

I’m sure you could be given a myriad of different assignments. My knowledge is probably even more general than yours, and I’ve probably not told you anything you don’t already know. But good luck in your new calling. 

From what I have observed..

Speak in various wards.

Handle Stake Business (Releasing, sustaining, setting apart)

Have an "assignment" over a certain aspect of the Stake.

Sit in the High Council overseeing the Stake.

Be apart of Disciplinary councils held on the stake level.

Perform other duties as asked by the Stake.

My inexperienced guess would be to image a Ward Council but working at the Stake Level

I was recently released as the EQP after 5 years and today was called to serve on the High Council. So, I am looking for comments about the High Council. What is it's function and what do members of the High Council do? I have a very general understanding, so, any information is greatly appreciated.

Here is what we do in our stake as High Councilors .... We are teachers. We go into our assigned Ward and work closely with the Elders Q President and High Priest Group leader. We provide on going training with them and encourage them to hold Priesthood Interviews with the members of their Quorum. We are asked to speak and often times given a topic. During the months we have 5 Sunday's we teach a combined lesson with the Pristhood and Relief Society. That topic is also assigned. You will be given an area of responsibility on the high council. I am over Public Affairs and I am a Auditor. I audit the financial records of 3 units two times a year. We have two High Council meetings a month and will attend Stake Council each quarter. You will also be part of a Stake Discplinary Councils.

I didn't mind speaking in other wards when I was on the High Council, but I was about 20 years younger than most other members. My Stake had myself and another 33 year old on it and I think that we presented more animated talks. I think that if you are going to be speaking so much, and to members that you don't always see, it would be good to study up on public speaking and ways to keep an audience awake and alert. 

it would be good to study up on public speaking and ways to keep an audience awake and alert. 

Rule #1--  Preparation merely consists of thinking about what you want to say.

Rule #2 -- Better yet, don't prepare your talk until you are sitting on the stand.  Of course I have a general idea of what I am going to say, but it keeps changing when I'm on the stand.

Rule #3-- You should really be excited when you go to the podium.  You can pretend that you are in the audience, when you were young and stupid.  Address the speech to yourself, say something interesting and that will help you in later life.

Rule #4-- Your talk is successful when the congregation leaves the room, and everyone is thinking, "Wow, I've never thought about that."  

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT ==>>They should walk out of that room and see life and reality in a very different way.  "I thought tithing was simply paying my ten percent, but now I see....."  Help them see tithing as they have never seen it before.  I'm not talking about the "windows of heaven" but going beyond that.  They should get on their hands and knees...... anyway.....

Let me give an example of preparation == how is a sacrament meeting like an exciting  football game between rivals?  What is the one critical difference between them.

The next time they go to a football game, guess what they will be thinking about in the back of their mind.

Of course all of these ideas are covered  in books on public speaking, but this was a concise summary.

Edited by cdowis

In church disciplinary actions half the HC will represent the interests of the member facing disciplinary action and the other half will represent the church's interests.

around here [sC] half the HC are on the MP committee under the 1st councilor in the stake pres. and the other half are on the AP committee under the 2nd councilor in the stake pres.

HC's are assigned to wards and will transact stake business in their assigned wards

HC's may be assigned to train in assigned wards, at stake HC meetings,Stake priesthood meetings etc...

HC's may be assigned to speak in wards. 

HC's are assigned to the auxiliary organizations: SA, YSA, Missionary, Emergency Prep, Temple, YM, YW, Primary, RS, etc...

HC's may be used to carry requests between bishops and the stake presidency for positions the stake has responsibility for within a ward

HC's may be assigned to extend calling for the stake presidency for positions the stake has responsibility for within a ward

HC's may be assigned to set apart those called for positions the stake has responsibility for within a ward

HC's may be assigned to assist with ordaining brethren to the MP

HC's may be asked to stay awake during HC meetings :D

"stake auditor"

That is interesting.  I was not on the High Counsel, but I was called as a stake auditor many years ago.  Has that function been taken over by the High Council now?

I am not the Stake Auditor .... I am assigned to audit 3 units in our stake. That calling varies from stake to stake. Our stake auditor is on the high council and other stakes it's probably not.

I didn't mind speaking in other wards when I was on the High Council, but I was about 20 years younger than most other members. My Stake had myself and another 33 year old on it and I think that we presented more animated talks. I think that if you are going to be speaking so much, and to members that you don't always see, it would be good to study up on public speaking and ways to keep an audience awake and alert.

When I was 36 I was the Senior member of the high council. Now 20 years later and second time serving on high Council I am the senior member of the high council.

Whatever their SP assigns.   Generally one or more is assigned to a specific ward, and they attend their once a month and observe and discuss with the bishop any concerns they have about how things are being done compared to the handbook.  HC provide or arrange for training that appears to be required.

One day a week they attend a meeting where stake issues are discussed, and assignments for various things (like who attends what camp on behalf of the stake leadership, and who works with which groups to do which projects) are determined and given out.

The HC are the disciplinary council for melchezedik priesthood holders and these are generally held on a date and at a time when no one else is likely to be in the building.

One sunday a month, they speak in an assigned ward (if your stake has 8 wards, it will be  8 times a year) on behalf of the SP  (if I were you, I'd be lobbying the SP to allow Stake auxilliary leaders to speak during that sunday on the SP's behalf too.)

There may also be training at other times that you have to attend.   And you may be assigned to extend stake callings, specifically within the wards you are assigned to supervise or visit.

I think with all the responses here you will see most of what you do is determined by your Stake Presidency. One thing about being in the stake you get to meet other members and make friendships that will last a lifetime.

In church disciplinary actions half the HC will represent the interests of the member facing disciplinary action and the other half will represent the church's interests.

Just a note of clarification on the above. When a disciplinary case is judged to be "simple" (for example, the accused has willingly confessed and is humble and contrite) only one councilor speaks on behalf of the accused, and one speaks on behalf of the Church (the two men who draw numbers 2 and 1 respectively).  
If the case is judged to be "difficult" (for example, the accused claims innocence in the face of damning evidence) then it can become a 4/4 or even a 6/6 affair (all odd numbers speaking on behalf of the Church; all even numbers speaking on behalf of the accused). 
Out of all of the many disciplinary councils I participated in, only one was deemed to be difficult. 

Served for almost 2 years on a High Council. One of the best days of my life was when I was released and assigned to the YSA Branch in our stake as the ExecSec to the BP. The men serving on the HC were great men and I enjoyed meeting with them, but I'm a doer and details, make it happen guy. And our SP had the HC speak only every other month, so technically, I could have been inactive 7 out of 8 weeks and no one would have known, as long as I showed up to my speaking assignments.

Some folks like serving on the HC. My dad did for years and years. It just wasn't my cup of herbal tea....

Served for almost 2 years on a High Council. One of the best days of my life was when I was released and assigned to the YSA Branch in our stake as the ExecSec to the BP. The men serving on the HC were great men and I enjoyed meeting with them, but I'm a doer and details, make it happen guy. And our SP had the HC speak only every other month, so technically, I could have been inactive 7 out of 8 weeks and no one would have known, as long as I showed up to my speaking assignments.

Some folks like serving on the HC. My dad did for years and years. It just wasn't my cup of herbal tea....

For me personally .... Each time I was released as a Bishop it was always an adjustment for me to get use to serving on the High Council. It wasn't easy each time and took some time to get use to.