Really Questioning the Garment

Sarah789

I think it might be easier to just re-design menstrual pads, tbh. With the progesterone I have to take every month, I cannot wear tampons and I am at my wits end with how terribly uncomfortable the pads are. Wings or no wings, thick or thin, long or short, they're so uncomfortable and have to be adjusted so often.. as if menstruation itself is not already uncomfortable enough. Grrr. 

I have never tried wearing a strapless bra with garments but am wondering if it would make a difference with the way the shoulders/sleeves fit? The next time I order new ones I will look into the custom sizing for my weird narrow shoulders, but for now I have to make do with the standard cut. Unlike the midriff not staying tucked in (nothing anyone can do about that) and the aforementioned menstrual pad problem, the fit of the shoulders seems like it ought to be easily helped. The tops sit fine on me on their own, but when bra straps get involved the seams and lace edges are pulled around and gathered awkwardly. Inevitably I do not feel or notice this until half of one of the shoulder sections is suddenly publicly exposed, at least a couple of inches toward the center of its original placement. It makes no sense and is an almost daily struggle. Using different fabrics and cuts seem to make little difference, I have tried five different kinds over the years with always the same results. And I also was instructed by a temple matron when I received my garments to wear them next to my skin at all times. Somehow the idea of wearing a bra underneath for the sake of comfort doesn't sit well with me, given that previous instruction. Is there an official guideline anywhere, like in a handbook or something, on the matter? 

I've seen lots of ads on Facebook lately for padded underwear, I guess you'd call it. I thought it was silly, but didn't think about it in context of garments.

How are you loving this conversation, fellas? 

She's just venting about how uncomfortable it is.  She wanted to find out how she can get the powers that be to change or add to the available designs of the garments.

I am venting, yes, but also I am confused.  I don't think that garments are *meant* to be uncomfortable, so I am confused as to why they are and why there are so few options to increase the comfort and practicality.  Like I said, I have been ok with garments for many years, but only lately have started to get irritated by them.  This, coupled with the fact that I have no testimony to bear of wearing the garment has lead me to question, "Why am I wearing these?", or "what purpose did God have in mind by asking us to wear these?"   

While some of you have given me good suggestions for dealing with wearing the garment, none of you have given me any real insight as to why we wear them.  Rather, I feel like some of you have just jumped all over me for questioning and trying to seek a deeper understanding.

It's easy to say "it's a covenant" and tell me get over it, but honestly I don't think this is how God would respond in your place.  Pretty much all of the revelations in D+C were in responses to questions.  Sometimes God said "be content for now", but sometimes he actually gave more knowledge.  You don't know until you ask.

I try to compare wearing the garment to other commandments like the word of wisdom.  The reason for the WoW is quite obvious, it is to increase our physical and mental strength and health.  I am wondering if there is something similar going on with the garment.  Does it help our bodies somehow?  Is there some scientific reason behind wearing it that I just haven't heard of or thought of?  What exactly is meant by the saying it is a "shield and a protection"?  I am not satisfied with just saying that it is a "reminder", or that it helps me to behave better.  I had that before I was endowed.  I feel like there is something more to it than that.  I was hoping for some personal experiences to help bolster my testimony, but all I find here is the same "lemming" attitude of just "do what you're told and don't question it."  And not a single word of support.

I think it might be easier to just re-design menstrual pads, tbh. With the progesterone I have to take every month, I cannot wear tampons and I am at my wits end with how terribly uncomfortable the pads are. Wings or no wings, thick or thin, long or short, they're so uncomfortable and have to be adjusted so often.. as if menstruation itself is not already uncomfortable enough. Grrr. 

I have never tried wearing a strapless bra with garments but am wondering if it would make a difference with the way the shoulders/sleeves fit? The next time I order new ones I will look into the custom sizing for my weird narrow shoulders, but for now I have to make do with the standard cut. Unlike the midriff not staying tucked in (nothing anyone can do about that) and the aforementioned menstrual pad problem, the fit of the shoulders seems like it ought to be easily helped. The tops sit fine on me on their own, but when bra straps get involved the seams and lace edges are pulled around and gathered awkwardly. Inevitably I do not feel or notice this until half of one of the shoulder sections is suddenly publicly exposed, at least a couple of inches toward the center of its original placement. It makes no sense and is an almost daily struggle. Using different fabrics and cuts seem to make little difference, I have tried five different kinds over the years with always the same results. And I also was instructed by a temple matron when I received my garments to wear them next to my skin at all times. Somehow the idea of wearing a bra underneath for the sake of comfort doesn't sit well with me, given that previous instruction. Is there an official guideline anywhere, like in a handbook or something, on the matter? 

More evidence of how un-lady-friendly garments are.  I feel for you.  I wish I knew who designed them.  I wish we could just call a meeting and get something done about this.  Sure, we can give feedback on the website, but how long until something is actually done?  So frustrating.

No, you weren't told to do what you're told and don't ask questions. You were advised to spend more time in the temple to get the answers. 

It's hard to learn when you're balancing a big chip on your shoulder. 

Although I have to say, I think some things ARE just about obedience. If we had easy answers to everything, there wouldn't be any need for us to build faith. I have tons of questions that I can't wait to get the answers to. . . someday, probably not in this life.

I try to compare wearing the garment to other commandments like the word of wisdom.  The reason for the WoW is quite obvious, it is to increase our physical and mental strength and health.  I am wondering if there is something similar going on with the garment.  Does it help our bodies somehow?  Is there some scientific reason behind wearing it that I just haven't heard of or thought of?  What exactly is meant by the saying it is a "shield and a protection"?  I am not satisfied with just saying that it is a "reminder", or that it helps me to behave better.  I had that before I was endowed.  I feel like there is something more to it than that.  I was hoping for some personal experiences to help bolster my testimony, but all I find here is the same "lemming" attitude of just "do what you're told and don't question it."  And not a single word of support.

Hi Sarah,

I can empathize with your position. I too like to know what blessings go along with what commandments/covenants/behaviours as per the promise "when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated." 

However, I think we limit ourselves if we believe there is only a one to one blessing reward in this context. For instance I firmly believe that while the physical health blessings of the word of wisdom are indeed clear, the spiritual health blessings exceed those. If we want to look for simple blessings one could easily postulate that a blessing of wearing garments is that it reduces one's risk of skin cancer because less skin is exposed to UV rays, and while that may even be true it's not the sole purpose. My point being that I believe there are many blessings predicated on wearing the garments worthily. I don't believe anyone can categorically claim that xyz are the benefits of wearing the garments. 

I totally understand that they can seem like a nuisance at times - I hate getting new ones because they always change the sizes and then they don't fit right and by the time I get the right ones figured out they have new sizing and fits... but i also find going to church every Sunday inconvenient and paying tithing inconvenient and going home teaching inconvenient and I don't always see the blessings directly. Sometimes I think it's because I'm used to doing the things I've covenanted to and end up taking the blessings for granted. Perhaps if I just stopped I would miss the blessings and no longer take them for granted, but I'd also run the risk of not realizing what went wrong and not correcting the things that matter most to get the blessings back.

So in my long-winded way I'm saying I think the blessings are there for any of us to see and be grateful for, but sometimes we are blind to them and need to look harder.

I'd suggest specifically paying attention during initiatory to see if you can't find some specific blessings to wearing the garment.

As for the promised protection from the garment, it likely takes on many forms and is adaptable to the protective needs of different individuals. For some it protects covenants and builds faith by serving as a reminder, while for others it is a symbol of purity that is worn daily, others may think deeply on the symbolism that is learned about and draw strength and protection from it.

I wish you all the best, but I can't give you your answer.

When I got my garments, I was told to wear them under the bra.  But if you wear them over, then the symbols show through the clothing and make it look like your nipples are showing.  And unfortunately, I am too "well-endowed" to go without a bra.  I don't like the Carinessa material either, like the drisilque, it doesn't breathe. 

I tried wearing panties under the garment with a pad, but I got way too hot and sweaty.  And really, it is ridiculous.  Why should we have to wear two pairs of underwear?  I think they could design the garments to work with feminine pads.  Another problem too though is that garments don't sit as close to your body as panties do, so that's another reason pads feel insecure.  It just doesn't work!

As for bodies acclimating, I don't buy that at all.  My husband has worn them for years and is constantly over-heated.  

I find I behave better when I am not irritated by uncomfortable clothing.

One of those covenants being the law of chastity.

I'm overly focused on the fit because it is ridiculous, impractical, and uncomfortable.  I don't have a problem with wearing special underwear, but I do have a problem when it hampers the quality of my life.  Your comment here is highly judgmental.

I always find it ironic and hypocritical when someone declares someone else judgmental (thus making a judgment themselves) just because that someone disagreed with them.

You don't want to wear your garments. You have made that abundantly clear.  You feel very put out and would rather have a temper tantrum about it than listen to any advice.  So why did you start a thread?  Did you expect everyone to jump up and applaud you and tell you that you're right and that the wearing of garments you covenanted to wear is just plain mean and evil and that  you're just soooo much smarter than church leaders about the whole subject of garment wearing?

Did you expect to somehow get "permission" from strangers on the internet to abandon garment wearing?  Did you expect pity for the horrible suffering of having to wear thin pieces of cloth?  I mean, you are clearly not interested in any advice.

Millions of people wear garments successfully every day for years and years and years.  People in all shapes and sizes.  People in all kinds of climates.  People with medical issues that make them susceptible to over-heating.  Young people, old people, people in all stages of life and physical ability or disability.  Wearing garments hasn't killed anyone yet. Nor - let's be honest here - has it "hampered" the "quality" of their lives.

As long as you maintain a selfish focus (yep, I said selfish) regarding garment wearing, you're never going to move past the point where you are at now.  But it seems you don't want to give up the complaining.

So, again, what is the point of coming here and starting a thread about garments when you are not interested in humbling yourself and changing your attitude.  Are you going to add the comments here to litany of excuses of why wearing garments is such a horrible thing to be asked to do?

And while you're at it, why don't you expand your campaign to all of those women outside of the church who wear those danged Spanx.  Surely you are concerned that their quality of life not be hampered, either, right?

If you think it's more important to be "comfortable" than to honor your covenants, you certainly don't need anyone's permission to exercise your free agency and toss your garments aside. 

I feel sorry for anyone who feels that some simple bits of cloth "hampers" the "quality" of their life.  Having been endowed in 2012, a year after I joined the church, I simply cannot imagine NOT wearing the garment. 

It just boggles my mind that some people think that the church is completely clueless and unaware when it comes to garment design.  And so insensitive and evil because they never think to ask real people for input.

SMH.

Just in the three years I have been wearing garments, there have been a number of changes in design and fabrics.  But, nooooo, there was never any thought given to design or feedback welcomed.

SMH again.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I was hoping for some personal experiences to help bolster my testimony, but all I find here is the same "lemming" attitude of just "do what you're told and don't question it."  And not a single word of support.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective, but I thought Anatess' posts were very helpful and supportive.  

You keep comparing garments to other things we do in the church where we "see" the reason, like the Word of Wisdom.  But what if you follow the Word of Wisdom the best you can, and still have health issues, maybe cancer?  Do you then go out and get drunk to drown your misery because what's the use anyway?

Or tithing...in church we love to tell stories about how we were blessed financially for paying our tithing.  Those things have happened to me too.  But the opposite has happened as well.  I've been a full-tithe payer since I started making money and my husband and I still experienced job loss that lead to bankruptcy and foreclosure.  Was that an excuse to stop paying tithing?  

For myself, I've come to the conclusion that the Lord will bless us, but in His time, and in His way.  I find I am happier if I obey the commandments out of my love and gratitude for the Savior, not because I'm expecting some blessing in return.  That is what I was trying to say with my first post...I'm just being a little more direct this time...but it's the same message.

You said your difficulty with garments has been fairly recent...you also said that the temple is a long ways away so you can't get there often.  I would recommend again, that you try to get to the temple.  I understand that it won't be easy, but I really think it would make a difference for you. 

I was hoping for some personal experiences to help bolster my testimony, but all I find here is the same "lemming" attitude of just "do what you're told and don't question it."  And not a single word of support.

Darn, I moved from a sheep to a lemming. I don't like rodents, so I'm sad about my demotion.  

Way to torpedo my personal testimony and calling me a lemming who hasn't given a single word of support.

We cannot gain a testimony for you.  That's on you.  All we are doing is sharing our own personal testimony to give you perspective.  If you don't like it, that's fine.  But you don't have to insult it.  I didn't tell you the steps I took to get to the point that I'm comfortable with garments so you can follow it step by step.  I told you about it to show you that if you are willing, you can tackle each obstacle about garments comfort one by one and solve it in the manner that works for you.  But this won't happen until you are ready to make it work.

Here's another of my own personal testimony:

My grandmother wore shades of violet clothing since the day her husband died in World War II to the day she died in the 90's.  It was her way to remember and honor her husband in everything she does.  Yes, she remembers her husband even before she wore violet clothes.  But she chose to make the violet clothes her own personal commitment to him.  When she puts the violet clothes on, it reminds her of her husband and her commitment to do right by him.  It also reminds her of his love for her and that he is not far away.  Even through the days when women couldn't get jobs in the 50's and 60's in the Philippines, she never remarried.  She raised 3 kids on her own with the help of her brother.  My grandmother has given me an example and testimony of LOVE that has become my personal principle.  My garments are my "violet clothes" for Christ.

Edited by anatess

First of all, I would like to thank the maybe one or two people who have actually responded kindly.  A lot of you could take a lesson from SpiritDragon.

I started this thread because I was hoping some people would bear a testimony or offer some insight that I haven't already thought of.  Comments like this:

It's hard to learn when you're balancing a big chip on your shoulder. 

and this:

I always find it ironic and hypocritical when someone declares someone else judgmental (thus making a judgment themselves) just because that someone disagreed with them.

You don't want to wear your garments. You have made that abundantly clear.  You feel very put out and would rather have a temper tantrum about it than listen to any advice.  So why did you start a thread?  Did you expect everyone to jump up and applaud you and tell you that you're right and that the wearing of garments you covenanted to wear is just plain mean and evil and that  you're just soooo much smarter than church leaders about the whole subject of garment wearing?

Did you expect to somehow get "permission" from strangers on the internet to abandon garment wearing?  Did you expect pity for the horrible suffering of having to wear thin pieces of cloth?  I mean, you are clearly not interested in any advice.

Millions of people wear garments successfully every day for years and years and years.  People in all shapes and sizes.  People in all kinds of climates.  People with medical issues that make them susceptible to over-heating.  Young people, old people, people in all stages of life and physical ability or disability.  Wearing garments hasn't killed anyone yet. Nor - let's be honest here - has it "hampered" the "quality" of their lives.

As long as you maintain a selfish focus (yep, I said selfish) regarding garment wearing, you're never going to move past the point where you are at now.  But it seems you don't want to give up the complaining.

So, again, what is the point of coming here and starting a thread about garments when you are not interested in humbling yourself and changing your attitude.  Are you going to add the comments here to litany of excuses of why wearing garments is such a horrible thing to be asked to do?

And while you're at it, why don't you expand your campaign to all of those women outside of the church who wear those danged Spanx.  Surely you are concerned that their quality of life not be hampered, either, right?

If you think it's more important to be "comfortable" than to honor your covenants, you certainly don't need anyone's permission to exercise your free agency and toss your garments aside. 

I feel sorry for anyone who feels that some simple bits of cloth "hampers" the "quality" of their life.  Having been endowed in 2012, a year after I joined the church, I simply cannot imagine NOT wearing the garment. 

(for the record, Leah, I said his/her comment was judgmental, not that the commenter was judgmental) 

and this:

Darn, I moved from a sheep to a lemming. I don't like rodents, so I'm sad about my demotion.  

don't help.  Remember the Lord said, "When you are converted, strengthen thy brethren."  He didn't say, "When you are converted, criticize and chastize your brethren for not being as converted as you are."

Many of you (like the three I quoted above) have displayed the type of reaction and attitude that drive many away from the church.  Rather than encouraging me and showing charity, you have been accusatory, sarcastic, and critical.  It makes me wonder if you guys really have a testimony of wearing the garment since you either have nothing uplifting to say about the issue, or when I challenge your ideas, you react poorly.  

If you have an experience of how the garment has really helped you, or a time when you struggled with it and overcame that trial and how that changed your life, then please share it.  It would help me.  But none of you have done this.  Not even the people who are nice can say anything like this.  All I have heard are ways to tolerate wearing it.  So I am still left to wonder, "What exactly are the blessings associated with this commandment?", i.e. I want more knowledge about the garment.  But there isn't much out there about it, so that's why I started this thread.  

And before you flare up and go on a tirade, I was taught that every commandment has an associated blessing.  And wanting to know what that blessing is is not something worthy of chastisement, it's showing a desire for further knowledge and understanding.  If you don't have that knowledge, or anything nice to say, then just shut your mouth and move on.

First of all, I would like to thank the maybe one or two people who have actually responded kindly.  A lot of you could take a lesson from SpiritDragon.

I started this thread because I was hoping some people would bear a testimony or offer some insight that I haven't already thought of.  Comments like this:

<snip>

You called me lemming.  It's kinda hard to remain supportive when you call us that.

Newsflash.  We cannot gain a testimony for you.  That's on you.  All we are doing is sharing our own personal testimony to give you perspective.  If you don't like it, that's fine.  But you don't have to insult it.  I didn't tell you the steps I took to get to the point that I'm comfortable with garments so you can follow it step by step.  I told you about it to show you that if you are willing, you can tackle each obstacle about garments comfort one by one and solve it in the manner that works for you.  But this won't happen until you are ready to make it work.

Another example of a rude and disparaging comment.  No, I can't gain a testimony from you, but bearing your testimony helps strengthen others.  That's why we have fast and testimony meeting.

Thank you for sharing your story about your grandmother, though.  That is nice.  My response is that I have not found garments helpful in that regard.  Even during the time when they didn't bother me.  I am not being critical here, I am just saying that what they are for you is not what they are for me.  In that case, you should just move on because you can't help me.

My problem is with comments like these:

It would be easy if they would pay you lots of money to wear garments then it won't be as uncomfortable.  But, one thing is for certain, It will only lose its discomfort when you are ready for it to do so.

Who said anything about money?  And how dare you assume that I am that petty?  And you don't even know if the last statement is true, that is an opinion.  If you can't respond with charity, then don't say anything at all.

Also, anatess, maybe you should consider the garments you are wearing right now and ask yourself, "Are you remembering Christ right now?"  Are your responses how He would respond to me?  You are not being a very good example of how garments help you to behave better right now.

A big part of why you are getting what you feel are non-responses is because the garment is sacred and we ought not discuss it so publicly. The temple is the best place to learn, so that is why that had been suggested to you. There is very little anyone can say on the matter beyond expressing their faith that obedience will make things work out in the end, and wearing the garment is an act of obedience.

Sarah, I am sincerely sorry that you have had a bad experience on this thread. (Also sorry about your garment woes.) Without meaning to pick a fight or criticize, I urge you to review your responses on this thread from the viewpoint of those who wrote in to answer you. You asked for input, people gave you input.

As a general rule, if you write to a group asking for advice and you get advice, it's best not to criticize the advice or those who gave it -- after all, you asked for it, and they are doing (or trying to do) you a favor. If you don't like what they write, just don't respond.

Honest advice, meant compassionately. I am sure you're a decent and kind person, and I hate to see you feel like you're getting beaten up.

Then don't say anything. Two wrongs don't make a right.

You started the thread.  I responded.  Sincerely.  Many times.

You torpedoed me.  Many times.

Good luck and hope you find the testimony you're looking for.

I'll be the grouchy old man (hopefully with some kindness :-).  I'm not sure what you are looking for except as an outlet to complain and moan about the garments.

You've said:

If the purpose really is just to serve as a reminder and a bad-behavior deterrent, then I have to say the discomfort just isn't worth it to me, because those ends can be achieved by other means.

This, coupled with the fact that I have no testimony to bear of wearing the garment has lead me to question, "Why am I wearing these?", or "what purpose did God have in mind by asking us to wear these?"   

While some of you have given me good suggestions for dealing with wearing the garment, none of you have given me any real insight as to why we wear them.  Rather, I feel like some of you have just jumped all over me for questioning and trying to seek a deeper understanding.

It's easy to say "it's a covenant" and tell me get over it, but honestly I don't think this is how God would respond in your place.  

It's very obvious to me-it's not the garment that you don't have a testimony of-it's the temple you don't have a testimony of.

God has given us many commandments-some of them we can pretty immediately see the blessings of; others of them we cannot.  For example, without a testimony of Christ's sacrifice, the sacrament is completely meaningless. I can say the exact same thing you say about the garment. "There are plenty of other ways to remember Christ, sacrament doesn't do anything for me".  

Why do I need to be baptized? What real tangible effect does it have on my life?

I have learned in my life that yes, sometimes-in fact many times in fact God just says DO IT, and he doesn't give reasons why.  Look at Abraham and Isaac- Abraham could have complained all the way up the mountain.  "God, this is unfair" "God, this isn't right-he is my only son", "God, there are plenty of other ways for me to be obedient, I don't need to do this". But he did not, because he trusted His Maker that He knew what was best and when God commands-Abraham would obey.

Why do you need to wear the garment?  To be perfectly blunt, because God said so.

You can wrap it up in a bunch of pretty bows and come up with reasons why God says so, but the ultimate truth boils down to, we wear the garment because we made a covenant with God in his Holy Temples. As part of the condition of that covenant (with blessings)-God instructed us to wear a holy garment; therefore we wear it. Period. End of story.

If you want to understand the blessings the garment brings to us-then you need to go to the temple and listen quietly and carefully to the instructions that are given there.  It is only there that you will find out what the garment means.

If you do not want to wear the garment, that is fine-no one will force you to do so; but remember you are disregarding part of the covenant you made to God when you do that.

The blessings that the garment brings to my life; I am fulfilling a part of the covenant that I made with God. Therefore, I can rest assured that no matter the screw-ups that I make in my life as long as I am mindful of the covenants I made at the temple I will have a place at the table in God's kingdom when my days on this Earth are finished.

That to me is worth more gold, silver, more physical discomfort than anything else to me; it is most precious and as such the garment does provide a very real emotional and spiritual "shield and protection".

I guess my testimony of my wearing the garments because I made a covenant to do so isn't helpful. And the suggestions of contacting the Distribution Center to customize your garments at no additional cost is not a practical solution. And we are called a rodent for trying to help. Oh well. I do try to follow Adam's example that was suggested earlier in the thread:

And after many days an angel of the Lord appeared unto Adam, saying: Why dost thou offer sacrifices unto the Lord? And Adam said unto him: I know not, save the Lord commanded me.

So, if that makes Adam a lemming, then I'm happy to be a rodent.  Hope you find whatever it is you are looking for. 

Good luck,

signed Lenny, the lemming aka Sherry, the sheep

Honest advice, meant compassionately. I am sure you're a decent and kind person, and I hate to see you feel like you're getting beaten up.

Well there is this new trend I see in life (or maybe it's always been there and I just see it now). Our modern culture has bred such ease and modern convenience that the instant that anything is the least bit difficult, hard, or challenging it's not worth doing.  There is this attitude that life is meant to be easy, we have to shield our children from failures-everyone is a winner, no one can be critical (b/c if you are critical it means you don't love them enough- you aren't being Christlike . . . Christ would only love everyone as they are). When the reality is Christ was extremely harsh, many times.

Ultimate love is helping another person reach their full potential.  I hate disciplining my children harshly-I wish there was another way. Unfortunately all human beings are pretty much the same way-we will take the easiest path to achieve our goals. If I child believes it is easier for him to skate on not doing homework vs. receiving discipline he will skate.  It isn't until the discipline overrides ease of skating that he will finally figure out doing homework is good.

Unfortunately in our modern day culture, we have a severe lack of personal discipline.