Really Questioning the Garment

Sarah789

I'm not a Mormon, so maybe it's wrong for me to post here.  But, it seems garments are hot and uncomfortable.  Wouldn't a necklace you wore all the time be just as good of a reminder of covenants than undergarments? If you need to wear them to be "in good standing" does that ever make you feel resentful? I don't think I could stand it.  But then, if the "girls" were smaller, I'd probably go braless. 

The garments are made from various fabrics, so you can almost always find a fabric that fits your own temperature.  And without going into details, the garments are symbolic for things that help us to remember our covenants--the garments themselves are symbolic. 

I don't feel resentful. I know some do, but I've never felt that way. But I also know that there times that I cannot wear the garment (personal, medical reasons) and I felt that that is a choice for me and that God approves of that choice.  Some people have a difficult time making a decision like that and taking it to the Lord for confirmation. We are told to wear the garment night and day and for some people, varying that in any degree feels wrong for them.

The garment is a gift, and wearing it is a constant reminder of the goodness of God. After a brief (weeks-long) adjustment period, I adapted fine to the garment. I have never found it particularly hot or cumbersome in any way.

Now admittedly, as a man, I don't have some of the issues that women face. I do not doubt there might be situations where things are more difficult. But this much I guarantee: If you anticipate and dwell on the discomforts of wearing the garment, you will notice them more.

Guest MormonGator

The garment is a gift, and wearing it is a constant reminder of the goodness of God. After a brief (weeks-long) adjustment period, I adapted fine to the garment. I have never found it particularly hot or cumbersome in any way.

Now admittedly, as a man, I don't have some of the issues that women face. I do not doubt there might be situations where things are more difficult. But this much I guarantee: If you anticipate and dwell on the discomforts of wearing the garment, you will notice them more.

I also think it's different for men and women too. I like how you admitted there was an adjustment period. I am NOT insulting the garments, of course I agree with you that they are a wonderful covenant with God, but in fairness I still struggle with wearing mine. I am not saying I don't (though I have forgotten at times, or laundry hasn't worked out), but it IS an adjustment. I am far from perfect and like David Bednar said, I am the weakest of the weak too. 

Though in "fairness"  I've had 34 years of not being LDS, so I just have the natural difficulty of adjusting to a new lifestyle, including wearing the garments. Thanks for realizing that there is an adjustment period. 

I have to admit-I love wearing them under my metal and punk t-shirts. You would not believe the great conversations I get into. 

Edited by MormonGator

I guess, I just don't have the uhm... benefit?... of having never worn them.  I was raised as a child to always wear an undershirt anyway.  The rest, well, boxers, briefs...  So, I've never really NOT worn something similar.

I've done manual labor in 110 degree / 80% humidity weather and sweat like a dog.  I've also done roofing work (always about 10 degrees hotter than surrounding areas).  I never really thought about taking them off.  I just figured it was hot.  Sweating is what happens.

As for the feminine difficulties, my wife is in the same boat as I am.  She has issues with her feminine stuff too.  But she never thinks about taking them off except for "medical" reasons.  I'm not going to go into details.

The bottom line is that it is really not something that we dwell on.  And as Vort said, we don't really notice.

You can still buy the women's one-piece garments in a couple of styles.

I buy the flare legged one piece for Church or when I'm wearing a dress because you don't have to keep tucking in the top, etc. It fits looser, more like a slip - well one of them does.

Works better for me in a dress.

I agree in the summer they can be hot - but as someone mentioned, the mesh tops are cooler.

I actually love the bottoms.

I do a lot of long distance walking and find them more comfortable than standard underwear. 

They don't bind at the top of the legs.

I've read through a lot of this thread and find it absolutely fascinating!

Sarah789, I can't relate because I don't wear them and never have, but I agree with your thought process. Why can't garments be better designed to accommodate the woman's body and its needs? Periods suck! I can't imagine trying to deal with a menstrual cycle and trying to figure out how in the world your feminine pad is going to fit well inside a garment. Wearing double underwear...yeh...not comfortable and extra fabric!

I have worn pantyhose under my skirt and over my panties.  Tights under my pencil skirt and over my panties (plus leg warmers over my tights).  Split half-slips under my culottes over my panties.  Thermal underwear under my wool skirt over my panties (with boots over the thermals).  And yes, I have worn girdles (now called spanx) over my panties... and many other layered combinations of clothing over my panties in the name of fashion (ah, to be an 80's kid!).  I don't really see the big deal with wearing panties under my garments in the name of the Lord.

Edited by anatess

I have worn pantyhose under my skirt and over my panties.  Tights under my pencil skirt and over my panties (plus leg warmers over my tights).  Split half-slips under my culottes over my panties.  Thermal underwear under my wool skirt over my panties (with boots over the thermals).  And yes, I have worn girdles (now called spanx) over my panties... and many other layered combinations of clothing over my panties in the name of fashion (ah, to be an 80's kid!).  I don't really see the big deal with wearing panties under my garments in the name of the Lord.

I am totally with you on this, Anatess.

I honestly do not get the gnashing of teeth over some thin fabric.   Women of the world won't hesitate to wear Spanx in the name of vanity, but sacred garments are just too much to bear?  I guess anything more than a thong is considered oppression these days.  I wonder how some women would survive where I grew up - in the wintertime, it wasn't unusual to wear regular underwear with thermal "long johns" (flowered ones for girls!) over that so you wouldn't freeze your fanny off.

I had never heard of garments prior to investigating the church. My initial reaction was...meh...that's kind of weird.  But I come from Orthodox Judaism so I can trump that "weirdness" with other "weird" practices, no problem (pm if you're curious).  Plus, it's not the only religion with some variation of a religious garment, so in both of those contexts it was only weird for about a second and a half.

Indeed, as I spent my year between baptism and endowment preparing for the temple, I came to look on the wearing of the garment as a sacred privilege and was - sincerely - looking forward to that privilege.  I have spoken to other women who felt the same.  My first trip to the distribution center to purchase garments was a special occasion for me.  I took along an endowed friend and between her and the sister at the distribution center and - I know there are some who will roll their eyes - it was a memorable experience with the presence of the Spirit evident.  (As it was buying temple clothing).

After a little bit of experimentation with fabrics and styles (I, too, am vertically challenged), I just don't struggle to wear them.  Sure, sometimes I have to give a tug here or make an adjustment there, but they are such a natural part of life that I'm not walking around constantly thinking "Oh, I have these terrible garments on".  I would feel weird without them.  There was actually a day when I was really, really sick and when I was finally able to drag my miserable self into the shower and change into a fresh nightgown, I was still so miserable and non-functional and after a little bit realized something felt wrong but it took me a few minutes to identify it. I hadn't put my garments on.

I have health issues (including an exquisite sensitivity to heat) that I know more than a few people would say "excuse" me from wearing garments at least some of the time.  But I would rather focus on figuring out how to make it work, than look for a reason not to wear them.  Again, I feel that it is a sacred privilege and that's always worth trying to do my best.

As for wearing panties and garments together?  I was specifically told when I was endowed that that is acceptable.  And my understanding is that there are also men who wear briefs under their garments, as well.

A couple of thin layers of fabric isn't going to kill anyone.

I have worn pantyhose under my skirt and over my panties. Tights under my pencil skirt and over my panties (plus leg warmers over my tights). Split half-slips under my culottes over my panties. Thermal underwear under my wool skirt over my panties (with boots over the thermals). And yes, I have worn girdles (now called spanx) over my panties... and many other layered combinations of clothing over my panties in the name of fashion (ah, to be an 80's kid!). I don't really see the big deal with wearing panties under my garments in the name of the Lord.

This is how I view it.

The fashion world has all sorts of under things that garments, in the purely fabric and fit sense, are just one of numerous things.

This is how I view it.

The fashion world has all sorts of under things that garments, in the purely fabric and fit sense, are just one of numerous things.

But I draw the line on wearing my red panties over my blue tights... :D

To this point... how many girls wear uncomfortable (sexy) underwear* in the name of fashion, but then might complain about wearing uncomfortable (non-sexy) underwear in the name of the Lord?

Edit: * replace this perhaps with "clothes". Shoes, tights, bras, etc., My wife wears uncomfortable things all the time.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Guest MormonGator

My bishop said I could take off my garments during working out, swimming and stuff. I take karate and I do NOT wear my top garments under my Gi top (gi top is cool karate jive for "workout uniform"). 

I've also gotten the point where it feels weird to take them off if I i've been wearing them for a several days consecutively. I throw my other clothes around the locker room (I'm a guy, sorry) but I neatly fold my top and put on my karate bag. What else is cool? Of course my friends playfully bust my chops for being LDS (it's all in good fun, never meant to hurt) but they never make cracks about my garments or hide them on me. And once I hid someones pants after he got changed in locker room and I ran out the door with them. Fun times! 

Edited by MormonGator

My bishop said I could take off my garments during working out, swimming and stuff. I take karate and I do NOT wear my top garments under my Gi top (gi top is cool karate jive for "workout uniform"). 

My boys wear rash guards (or what bjj guys call rashies) under their gi... so... no garments either.

Guest MormonGator

My boys wear rash guards (or what bjj guys call rashies) under their gi... so... no garments either.

I find it incredibly  flattering that my friends don't do stupid, d-list garment jokes. Like I said, we playfully tease each other (I make light Catholic jokes about them) but they respect us LDS greatly. 

I do not like it when others make fun of the garments though. I'm like "Would you guys make fun of a sikh in their turban? Or a nun in their habit?" 

Edited by MormonGator

I find it incredibly  flattering that my friends don't do stupid, d-list garment jokes. Like I said, we playfully tease each other (I make light Catholic jokes about them) but they respect us LDS greatly. 

There are 3 kids in my boys' bjj class that started going to our ward after they found out we're LDS.  One of them got baptized.  The other 2 are just waiting until their mom gives them permission.  The professor (owns the school) gets regular visits from the sister missionaries.  He's not interested in baptism but he likes having them over to talk discuss eternal families.  So, when the sisters don't have a car and they happen to tract around the professor's neighborhood, they would stop by for water and give a talk on eternal families...

I do not like it when others make fun of the garments though. I'm like "Would you guys make fun of a sikh in their turban? Or a nun in their habit?" 

You'd be surprised at the people making fun of nuns in their habits.  And this is even in the Philippines where upwards of 80% are Catholics...

Guest MormonGator

You'd be surprised at the people making fun of nuns in their habits.  And this is even in the Philippines where upwards of 80% are Catholics...

I grew up Catholic, so I know. If you want me to be honest, I think those jokes are pretty rude too. Of course if it's between friends, than joke away. It's not meant to be hurtful.  

I grew up Catholic, so I know. If you want me to be honest, I think those jokes are pretty rude too. Of course if it's between friends, than joke away. It's not meant to be hurtful.  

Have you ever heard Jews make Jew jokes?  Man, they're brutal!

Guest MormonGator

Have you ever heard Jews make Jew jokes?  Man, they're brutal!

Yes I have. I think it's a sign of security and confidence. It doesn't mean you aren't confident or aren't secure if you DON'T  have a self-deprecating sense of humor, but I do think it's a good sign f you can at least laugh at yourself. 

Guest MormonGator

What would you prefer?  Yellow Spandex?

My friend once said "Superman is a loser. He wears blue spandex." 

I said, "Say what you want about my mother, but leave Superman out of it." 

We comic geeks take that seriously. :)