Cultivating Gifts of the Spirit

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet

So I am pondering...and would love your input...on cultivating Gifts of the Spirit.

I can (and will) do a search on LDS.org for scriptures and talks, so you don't need to share those--unless you want to share a favorite.  :)  What I'm really looking for is more like antidotes.  What has helped you in this area?  Do you just focus developing the gifts you already have, or do you feel it's okay to ask for others?

I read a quote recently (I don't have time to look it up right now) from one of the 12 that said if you want a certain blessing you should be sure you are obeying the commandments that are the precedent of that blessing.  So I've been wondering are there certain specific commandments related to gifts of the Spirit?

I welcome your thoughts, experiences, ponderings and speculation.  Thanks in advance.  

So I am pondering...and would love your input...on cultivating Gifts of the Spirit.

...What has helped you in this area?  Do you just focus developing the gifts you already have, or do you feel it's okay to ask for others?

The scriptures seem to suggest that a key to several of the gifts is to have a genuine desire to benefit others https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/46.26,32?lang=eng#25

What little I have pursued along these lines is typically involved in considering my patriarchal blessing (or my duties in the priesthood), and to seek help accomplishing the things outlined and promised there. Accomplishing a few of such things requires at least one gift. The core point that stood out for me in the passage linked to in the previous paragraph is the need to express gratitude for any gift granted. It made me realize I don't do that enough.

Some gifts aren't as effective without some degree of the gift of charity. I wish that gift was something I had started seeking/cultivating decades ago. Got a long way to go on that one.

If you feel prompted to seek/cultivate a gift, then I suggest you have your answer to your last question.

Edited by hagoth

Guest LiterateParakeet

Thanks Hagoth, that was really helpful.  I'm wondering why I didn't see it before--but I didn't.  

Yes, I am following a prompting. but I wasn't directed to a particular gift, just to learn more about them in general.  I do have a specific gift I want to try and develop though.  

Jane, good point.  The gift I have in mind would definitely help me on my journey.  Thanks.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

I read a quote recently (I don't have time to look it up right now) from one of the 12 that said if you want a certain blessing you should be sure you are obeying the commandments that are the precedent of that blessing.  So I've been wondering are there certain specific commandments related to gifts of the Spirit?

This part, from a teen/young adult perspective:

-Don't ask your parents to borrow their car before you have earned a license. The answer will be no.

-General rule: you can only use the car to the degree that your parents can trust you.

-Be willing to do your part to help maintain the car and put gas in it as needed.

-Being willing to use it to drive your brothers and sisters around or do other things for your parents also really helps.

-Never do stupid things with your parents' car.

-The more you use the car well, the more you'll get to use it.

-Always say thank you.

Who knew my parents were teaching me about spiritual gifts all along?  :huh:  ^_^

I think we should pursue spiritual gifts with the same humility that we should everything in life. Thy will be done. Viewing spiritual gifts as magical powers, of course, doesn't exactly fit into that mold, nor will it render much of anything but confusion. We serve, we are obedient, we work hard, we do our duties, and we pray that the Lord will bless us according to our needs and righteous desires, and then we struggle to make our desires righteous and humble. And then we leave it to the Lord. He knows our needs. We do not. So praying that we can have some gift that we think we could use strikes me as foolishness. If you need a gift, and you are working to be worthy and righteous, then that gift will come.

I think we should pursue spiritual gifts with the same humility that we should everything in life. Thy will be done.....

Amen.

...So praying that we can have some gift that we think we could use strikes me as foolishness. If you need a gift, and you are working to be worthy and righteous, then that gift will come.

Here is one of the few times I don't agree with you.

Was it foolishness for Solomon to ask for wisdom? https://www.lds.org/scriptures/ot/1-kgs/3.9-12?lang=eng#8

...God was pleased with the request, and granted it.

Did Paul, Joseph, and Moroni reveal foolishness?

1 Corinthians 14 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

D&C 46 But ye are commanded in all things to aask of God, who giveth liberally; and that which the Spirit testifies unto you even so I would that ye should do in all bholiness of heart, walking uprightly before me...and that ye may not be deceived aseek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given;

Moroni 7: Wherefore, my beloved brethren, apray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true bfollowers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall cbe like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be dpurified even as he is pure. Amen.

Based on the above, I respectfully submit that we are invited to actively seek the gifts God wishes to grant each, rather than passively waiting for them to appear.

Guest LiterateParakeet

TFP, thanks for commenting.  I'm confused by your "magical powers" comment--I don't think that was implied at all in this thread.  I agree that humility is important.  We should seek to learn the Lord's will and do it.  That is what prompted my question in the first place.  

Based on the above, I respectfully submit that we are invited to actively seek the gifts God wishes to grant each, rather than passively waiting for them to appear.

Thanks for the additional scriptures Hagoth. 

A thought - I believe that all things between man and G-d are enabled through covenant.  I see nothing wrong with asking for a spiritual gift but I see everything wrong with demanding a spiritual gift.  All gifts come through covenant.  Since G-d controls such things he may require something different from some according to covenant for spiritual gifts.

It is my understanding that spiritual gifts will be diminished or lost pending on our personal discipline and holding true to our covenants.

I must be honest - I really do not understand what many mean when they say we must be humble.  I think humility is a covenat that must be governed by discipline - I do not think we can just assume if we are not prideful that we are humble.  Rather we must exercize humility through discipline - similar to practicing the piano or basketball.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Traveler, very interesting. Yes perhaps different things are required for different gifts. Good point.

I can only speak for myself, but I think of humility as a life long process of learning to bend one's will to Our Father's. So yes, something that takes disciple and practice, something that is honed over a long period of time.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

May I suggest a brief read of a short section from this post from a sister in the church: https://www.mormon.org/me/9j3x

While the entire post is worthwhile, in the context of this thread, I suggest scrolling down to the section with the heading that says: "How can your talents and gifts bless others?"

There's some good meat there.

IME, spiritual gifts come as we use the gifts we have appropriately.   It is absolutely all right to ask for a gift in the course of completing some task we are either assigned or need to do some individually desired good work.   I don't know that I would ask for a gift for the sake of having that gift (and I also don't know that I'd get it in those circumstances.

TFP, thanks for commenting. I'm confused by your "magical powers" comment--I don't think that was implied at all in this thread.

Hmm. Why you would respond to this idea defensively? I was just sharing my thoughts. There was no implication of attack or correction meant.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Hmm. Why you would respond to this idea defensively? I was just sharing my thoughts. There was no implication of attack or correction meant.

Just clarifying.  Thanks.

Guest LiterateParakeet

In my life experience I have found that a gift can become a dangerous thing. Regardless of that gift, if we are not careful it can be used improperly and turned to serve oneself or to do evil.

Just a warning.

Very interesting idea. I know that Satan can mimic speaking in tongues, but how could the gift of faith be bad?

A relevant thought from someone who has been lovingly serving orphans and orphanages for some time...

"I have been working on renewing my mind to expose the false teachings and false beliefs I have held on to for some many years from sitting under prosperity gospel teaching and being so indoctrinated to the world's system and the world's way of thinking.

The truth resounding in me this morning is this: I was not created so that God could bless and serve me! It is NOT God's job to pour out blessings upon ME. It is MY JOB to bless and serve GOD! God is good. Always. No matter what happens or doesn't happen in life, He is GOD and He is good.

We must stop blaming and questioning the goodness of God!!! Life as it is includes sickness and death. We live in human bodies and our human bodies will battle human illnesses.

Many of the bad things that happen in our life happen as a result of our own choices or the choices that were made for us by others who were not seeking God.

The contemporary gospel has been twisted to make us believe that God is our sugar daddy. How far we have fallen from the true gospel. Jesus didn't come as a wealthy prince, He came as a lowly servant. He loved, He served, He was lonely and rejected and scorned, He suffered. But He NEVER questioned the goodness of His Father! Why? Because He knew His Father intimately. He knew His Father's will is always good and always right.

I thank God for my pastor who is helping to teach me the truth and sort these things out.

Teach me Your ways oh Lord."

(Erin Hunlock)

Edited by hagoth

how could the gift of faith be bad?

Pride

Perhaps taking your faith for granted because you did not have to struggle to have that faith.  Even one who has the gift of faith can lose it if taken for granted. Skipping one's prayers, etc, impatience or looking down on those who have to struggle with doubts.

I personally have become very acquainted with this issue.  The gift of faith is actually being able to say, "I have a sure knowledge."  It is not a very pleasant thing to have to deal with it.

You don't have the luxury of having doubts.  You have the curse of being certain, having a "sure knowledge".

Now, combine that with..... nevermind.  i'm getting depressed.  

I wish I have a decent singing voice.  I actually was a music major for my first semester, but I went down in flames.  I failed the "sight singing" class -- the teacher had perfect pitch.  He embarrassed me in front of the whole class by asking me to sing a certain melody.  At the end he tried to say something nice, "Well, you got the first and last note right."

After I joined the church, I met a really nice girl.  We sat next to each other in church.  I remember that we were singing a hymn, and she turned and looked at me as if I had cooties.

Edited by cdowis

Pride

Perhaps taking your faith for granted because you did not have to struggle to have that faith.  Even one who has the gift of faith can lose it if taken for granted. Skipping one's prayers, etc, impatience or looking down on those who have to struggle with doubts.

I personally have become very acquainted with this issue.  The gift of faith is actually being able to say, "I have a sure knowledge."  It is not a very pleasant thing to have to deal with it.

You don't have the luxury of having doubts.  You have the curse of being certain, having a "sure knowledge".

Methinks your understanding of faith may be just a wee bit shallow, and in many ways, entirely inaccurate. Faith is not being able to say "I have a sure knowledge" in any way, shape or form.

I'm praying for the gift of being able to sing in church myself. 

I can sing.  It just takes me hours to learn a song.  I need lessons and to practice more.

One sacrament meeting (in Utah) they had a professional singer in.  He goofed up one big note near the end something fierce.  Oh well, nobody's perfect.

dc

Methinks your understanding of faith may be just a wee bit shallow, and in many ways, entirely inaccurate. Faith is not being able to say "I have a sure knowledge" in any way, shape or form.

I want to thank you for making it easy for me to decide to ignore you.  Perhaps you should do the same for me.

I want to thank you for making it easy for me to decide to ignore you.  Perhaps you should do the same for me.

Heh. You can ignore me all you want. But when you say that faith means having a sure knowledge, then I'm still going to correct you. You just won't know it because you're ignoring me.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

I welcome a discussion with those who disagree with me.  But you went beyond that.  You did not ask a question, you did not indicate any discussion on the issue, but took the opportunity to do a cheap shot.  

Not interested in your cheap insults.

PS I suggest that you acquaint yourself with the rhetorical device called hyperbole.

Edited by cdowis