Church to go forward with Boy Scouts

pam

This is an interesting response, that I think may be common. I feel...nothing...but probably because I determine to as much as anything. If I'm totally honest, I expect I sort of hoped...

But why?

Speaking for myself, having this last month to think of the possibility of leaving BSA (a secular organization which increasingly does not reflect LDS values and leaches ridiculous fees) to form a one united international LDS program... honestly the idea really appealed to me.  I can't help but feeling like staying is settling... even if it is just for a time.  

Speaking for myself, having this last month to think of the possibility of leaving BSA (a secular organization which increasingly does not reflect LDS values and leaches ridiculous fees) to form a one united international LDS program... honestly the idea really appealed to me.  I can't help but feeling like staying is settling... even if it is just for a time.  

Perhaps. I am determined, however (and not saying that you are not) that if it is settling, it is the Lord's will that we settle, that it is for the best, etc.

Like I said, my inclination is to feel the same as you. But it's a matter of faith, just as anything, right? ;)

This wont end well.

Interestingly, the first openly gay boy scout...er "Eagle Scout"  turned 18 a few months ago and immediately applied and was accepted as an adult summer camp counselor. Now it begins.

Here is a quote from him in the article:

""On my 18th birthday, I'm planning on applying to be an adult leader for the Boy Scouts so that we push the issue," he said."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/openly-gay-boy-scout-eagle-scout-article-1.1610308

Edited by paracaidista508

I thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Here is a more current article (it is a few months old ) and this kid followed up with his threat. Now he is an adult summer camp counselor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/03/boy-scouts-in-new-york-hire-openly-gay-eagle-scout-in-spite-of-national-rules/

And it proves my point I made in another thread re young gay adults working at scout camp.

For my part I'm glad that the general leadership has decided to stay with scouting. However, I think the writing is on the wall and the LDS and BSA will part ways in only a handful of years. But that is still the least of my concerns. By far, the biggest problem our YM face in scouting has almost nothing to do with gay scout leaders at council camps or any like thing. Rather the negativity and unwillingness to support the program from parents and leaders, is the real tragedy. Such attitudes kill the program on a unit level. As I said before, until we are out we must be in. 

The instruction the Lord gave in another time and place is applicable here, "And I consecrate unto them this land for a little season, until I, the Lord, shall provide for them otherwise, and command them to go hence; and the hour and the day is not given unto them, wherefore let them act upon this land as for years, and this shall turn unto them for their good." Let us do the same with scouting. Commit ourselves as if for years and it will turn for our good and the good for our young men. 

Interestingly the first task at hand will be everyone's favorite, "Friends of Scouting", so put your shoulder to the wheel and push along. 

Edited by james12

. . . and pairs up gay adult males with young boys?

It allows gay men and Scouts to be in close proximity to each other on a prolonged basis (if the chartering org doesn't intervene), which is certainly a problem.  But it's absolutely untrue--and smacks of outright demagoguery--to suggest that BSA is "pair[ing] up gay adult males with young boys".

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Just for reference to standards, BSA does not permit open sexuality. This includes both heterosexual and homosexual (and any other type of sexual) behavior. While participating at a scout camp the staff are expected to abide this as are the scouts. Which is arguably the same moral standard in terms of abstinence for unmarried peoples as our Church has. 

Do people always obey? No. But that happens regardless of Scout Camp or Church.

The same thing goes in regards to speaking/teaching about sexuality which is left to parents and strictly forbidden by any  Scouter from speaking with scouts about. Another words, if a said homosexual, heterosexual, etc advocates for or even speaks about any view of sexuality to scouts, they can be evicted from leadership and scouting altogether. This is where the complaint of not knowing which leaders are homosexual or not comes from. Complaining about not knowing about which leaders are homosexual completely misses the point.

School, Peers, Internet, News, Scout Camp. I personally think one of these places is a safer place to interact with this topic than the rest. (Hint: it's not school, peers, internet, or news)

Just for reference to standards, BSA does not permit open sexuality. This includes both heterosexual and homosexual (and any other type of sexual) behavior. While participating at a scout camp the staff are expected to abide this as are the scouts. Which is arguably the same moral standard in terms of abstinence for unmarried peoples as our Church has. 

Do people always obey? No. But that happens regardless of Scout Camp or Church.

The same thing goes in regards to speaking/teaching about sexuality which is left to parents and strictly forbidden by any  Scouter from speaking with scouts about. Another words, if a said homosexual, heterosexual, etc advocates for or even speaks about any view of sexuality to scouts, they can be evicted from leadership and scouting altogether. This is where the complaint of not knowing which leaders are homosexual or not comes from. Complaining about not knowing about which leaders are homosexual completely misses the point.

School, Peers, Internet, News, Scout Camp. I personally think one of these places is a safer place to interact with this topic than the rest. (Hint: it's not school, peers, internet, or news)

But BSA does have rules to separate Males from Females... BECAUSE of sexuality... something that is not implemented for Homosexuals.

Why in the world would you send money to an organization that openly is against our values and pairs up gay adult males with young boys?

I was also going to comment on your wording but I see JAG has done that. Now to the question...

Think about this: Why does the church support the BSA, which is openly against our values, including Friends of Scouting? In fact, with about 437,000 boys in the program and registration fees at $24 dollars, the church may pay as much as 10.5 million a year. Although after negotiating deals it may be half that. But even half is 5.24 million dollars. So, I ask you again why do they support the program?  

If an organization does not meet all our values in every respect should we be out? As I said above, this issue about gay scout leaders has very little impact on the YM themselves. But the negative attitude towards the program effects many YM and robs them of opportunities to grow and mature. Further, it robs priesthood leaders of the impact they could have on YM and the boys themselves, of dedicating their full effort. Since the church is in, what else will your posturing accomplish? 

Why in the world would you send money to an organization that openly is against our values and pairs up gay adult males with young boys?

Because I was asked to by those who have the authority and right to ask such things of me, who I have committed to sustain.

It allows gay men and Scouts to be in close proximity to each other on a prolonged basis (if the chartering org doesn't intervene), which is certainly a problem.  But it's absolutely untrue--and smacks of outright demagoguery--to suggest that BSA is "pair[ing] up gay adult males with young boys".

Ok- so the BSA isnt allowing openly gay men (there has to be two adults- 2 deep leadership, so why not 2 gay adults just for the sakes of argument? ) to be scout leaders and take kids on overnight trips now?

I thought that is exactly the kind of thing the policy change ALLOWS. Whether it is practice or not is an entirely different issue.

I didnt mean literally one adult gay male with a scout and pair them up, I meant it in the context of putting gay adult males with the kids.