Guest MormonGator

College football fans?

Guest MormonGator

We both like punk rock. That counts for something, right?

Counts for a huge amount my friend. I like football and all, but punk rock? I could go on for years. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

I think I smell me some Gator grilling .......WOLVERINES !!!!! Lol

Yeah it's getting to be an embarrassment. Talk about a beating. 

I am ready to eat a little crow whenever you are ready to serve it. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

I can't serve it ......my Irish got it handed to them. Lol

In fairness, I'd be the first one gloating if my boys won. So when my friends bust my chops it's all in good fun. 

That tells me a lot then..... Gators were horrible and the Seminoles were kicking tail and taking names ....... Lol!!!

I must qualify my remarks with this ......I can't stand Jumbo Fisher .....he is a big mouth.

Jimbo Fisher is anything but a big mouth. Very humble and decent man...seriously.

Guest MormonGator

He who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones....( was gonna post this at 27 to 2)

Amen bro, that was among my first thoughts. 

Um, I'd like to retract that statement please your honor. 

Guest MormonGator

Jimbo Fisher is anything but a big mouth. Very humble and decent man...seriously.

I actually like Jimbo Fisher and am sorry he's going through a divorce right now. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

Edited by MormonGator

I actually like Jimbo Fisher and am sorry he's going through a divorce right now. 

Yeah, between that (his wife was cheating on him with her personal trainer) and his youngest son's illness....I think he has lost some focus. It showed big time in the Peach Bowl. Can't blame him...

As for the Gata's....losing Grier really tanked your season. Treon is soooooo bad.

Guest MormonGator

Yeah, between that (his wife was cheating on him with her personal trainer) and his youngest son's illness....I think he has lost some focus. It showed big time in the Peach Bowl. Can't blame him...

As for the Gata's....losing Grier really tanked your season. Treon is soooooo bad.

No, of course not. I feel so sorry for the poor man and I hope he cleans her out, frankly.

Treon Harris doesn't belong in big time college football, I totally agree. And now Grier is out of here, so we'll be stuck with a FRESHMEN quarterback. In the SEC. God help us. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

I am not excited about college football coming up. Nope, not at all. Nothing to see folks. Move along. 

Guest MormonGator

Ug! My season isn't starting out good. Coach McElwain suspended a bunch of players including our star wide receiver Antonio Callaway. This is his (Callaway) third offense. He's been involved in a sexual assault scandal, two drug scandals, and now this. A lot of people down here are done with him, even though he's incredibly talented. 

:: sigh :: 

Go Big Red!

The only game I typically bother with is the Husker-Badger game (for once not during General Conference this year), but that's because my facebook feed gives me no choice. I'm a Badger girl in a Husker world; literally half of everyone I know will be watching that game and talking about it. Although I may end up with some interest in the Husker-Hawkeye game.

Guest MormonGator
On 9/5/2017 at 10:09 PM, seashmore said:

literally half of everyone I know will be watching that game and talking about it. Although I may end up with some interest in the Husker-Hawkeye game.

It's the same down here. College football is an obsession. It's like the Red Sox in Boston during the early 2000s or the Green Bay Packers in Green Bay. You need to have a basic understanding of the Gators if you want to make small talk with 35% of people here, easily. 

On September 12, 2017 at 8:58 PM, MormonGator said:

It's the same down here. College football is an obsession. It's like the Red Sox in Boston during the early 2000s or the Green Bay Packers in Green Bay. You need to have a basic understanding of the Gators if you want to make small talk with 35% of people here, easily. 

It's easily twice that in Nebraska. Not even joking, Memorial Stadium (where the Huskers play) is the third largest city in the state. Per Wikipedia:

At the conclusion of the 2016 season, the stadium holds an ongoing NCAA record of 355 consecutive sellouts, which began in 1962. When full, Memorial Stadium holds more people than any Nebraska city except Omaha and Lincoln.

There's a local who holds viewing parties so elaborate that he has bleachers in his backyard and makes up tickets to distribute as invites. Grocery stores dye bread and sell it as Husker bread. There are no lines at Walmart during game time.  I know someone who attended a funeral, and the woman in the casket was such a fan that instead of a moment of silence, they turned a radio to the game at which point the Huskers scored a goal. Missionaries across the state know when the games are because the mission presidents strongly discourage (if not outright prohibit) tracting during the game. (Prearranged lessons are ok, but if someone is at your door during the game, you ain't buying whatever it is they're selling.)

I've seen Cheeseheads and had relatives who lived in Green Bay; one of my cousins even got engaged at Lambeau. Packer Nation is to Husker Nation as the moon is to the sun. The sincere devotional element of both fandoms perhaps explains why many Nebraskans choose the Packers as their professional team.

Guest MormonGator
On 9/13/2017 at 11:50 PM, seashmore said:

It's easily twice that in Nebraska. Not even joking, Memorial Stadium (where the Huskers play) is the third largest city in the state. Per Wikipedia:

There's a local who holds viewing parties so elaborate that he has bleachers in his backyard and makes up tickets to distribute as invites. Grocery stores dye bread and sell it as Husker bread. There are no lines at Walmart during game time.  I know someone who attended a funeral, and the woman in the casket was such a fan that instead of a moment of silence, they turned a radio to the game at which point the Huskers scored a goal. Missionaries across the state know when the games are because the mission presidents strongly discourage (if not outright prohibit) tracting during the game. (Prearranged lessons are ok, but if someone is at your door during the game, you ain't buying whatever it is they're selling.)

I've seen Cheeseheads and had relatives who lived in Green Bay; one of my cousins even got engaged at Lambeau. Packer Nation is to Husker Nation as the moon is to the sun. The sincere devotional element of both fandoms perhaps explains why many Nebraskans choose the Packers as their professional team.

I think it's wonderful to see that kind of devotion and loyalty. 

On September 15, 2017 at 3:08 PM, MormonGator said:

I think it's wonderful to see that kind of devotion and loyalty. 

I absolutely agree! I love when athletics are more about community and sportsmanship than sports. Team Jack, and the story behind it, exemplifies that. Long story short, Jack was a young child with a brain tumor. His dream was to meet Rex Burkhead, a Husker QB in the early 2010's. He was quickly adopted by the team, and then the whole state. During the spring scrimmage game in 2013, the team arranged for Jack to come out and run a 69 yard touchdown. http://youtu.be/_Jmisv1Spck

Guest MormonGator
20 hours ago, seashmore said:

I absolutely agree! I love when athletics are more about community and sportsmanship than sports. Team Jack, and the story behind it, exemplifies that. Long story short, Jack was a young child with a brain tumor. His dream was to meet Rex Burkhead, a Husker QB in the early 2010's. He was quickly adopted by the team, and then the whole state. During the spring scrimmage game in 2013, the team arranged for Jack to come out and run a 69 yard touchdown. http://youtu.be/_Jmisv1Spck

That's beautiful. Sports can be so much more than just the "mindless distraction" that detractors sometimes think they are. 

Guest MormonGator

@LadyGator scored two tickets to the Gators opener against Charleston Southern on 9/1! Woo-hoo! 

@zil-Day off at the compound. 

49 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

@zil-Day off at the compound. 

Hooray.  Meanwhile, here's my life starting Saturday:

• Saturday: Work 11:50 to 23:50, ~6 hours sleep
  • Sunday: Meet with bishop for 30 minutes, then work from 09:30 to 12:30, ~5 hours sleep (couldn't sleep, developed sore throat)
  • Monday: Work 06:00 to 23:30, sore throat getting worse all day, added cough to it, 6 hours sleep
  • Tuesday: Work 08:45 to [not yet determined] (are now in data recovery / discrepancy-identification mode)...

I shoulda retired on Friday. :(

Guest MormonGator

@LadyGator just got us opening day tickets for the Gators football team! Woo hoo! 

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 9.39.57 PM.png

Edited by MormonGator