Welcome Packets for new members????

LadyHanley93

I am on the welcoming committee at a ysa ward and I was thinking of putting a welcome packet together for new ward members of where the nearest temples are, numbers of the bishopric, high counselors, Desert industry for the new members of our ward and showing a sample to my Bishop. Do you have any other suggestions of what I could add to this packet???????

Edited by LadyHanley93

That's a cool idea!  LDS.org will let you print out a leadership directory- those would be handy.  Never know if someone new needs to call someone in young mens, or EQ, or primary, or whatever.

Also, chocolate.  You can almost never go wrong with chocolate.

Perhaps I could tape a small piece of wrapped chocolates such as Hershey kisses to the packets. Very neat way to make it unique :)

I think this is a great idea for new members. I love welcome packets and or goodies whenever I signup or join something. Not only are you getting helpful information as a newbie but anything that welcomes you aboard is always nice. Adding DI to the list is essential, so good job on that, as I think that's a good place for someone that might need some employment help or even getting basic needs met. It's not uncommon for converts to join a religion for the sole fact that they are being helped, which is okay, because the door to teaching is opened by charity and kindness. Great idea.

Guest MormonGator

I think she means members who are new to the ward, not newly baptized members. Especially for a singles ward, I think it's a very good idea.

My bad. 

We don't need a welcome packet. I like the idea of a going up on testimony Sunday and saying something like "Hi, we are new, we believe in the book of Mormon and can't wait to meet everyone!" 

A packet seems sort of 1950's. Most of the stuff is on Facebook anyway. 

Edited by MormonGator

• 1 month later...

If someone were to come to our area and ask for what insight I may be able to give them I would probably include...

The cheapest grocery stores

The dollar theater (now it's the $2.50 theater)

The park where the moms take their kids and where the Ward has its picnic twice a year

The actual Ward boundaries drawn on a map

The names and phones numbers of their Home Teachers and Visiting Teachers (will take a bit of work to personalize the packet)

Room number and Teacher's name and number for their kids in Sunday School

Times and locations for their kids in Seminary

Some bit of nonsense like the location behind the tree in their new backyard where Jimmy Hoffa is buried (just because how cool wold that be)

Coupons from the YM and YW for things like babysitting and yard work and FHE (how nice is it when somebody else's kids invite themselves to your FHE with lesson and activity already prepared)

My bad. 

We don't need a welcome packet. I like the idea of a going up on testimony Sunday and saying something like "Hi, we are new, we believe in the book of Mormon and can't wait to meet everyone!" 

A packet seems sort of 1950's. Most of the stuff is on Facebook anyway. 

I would agree with you for a general family ward. You're supposed to be an adult and be able to figure out how to do things in a new area. It's part of life.

In a ysa ward, you have a bunch of kids away from mommy and daddy for the first time in their lives.  In such a situation, something that helps them feel welcome and gives them some practical help might be a bit more useful.  It's even less about the information, and more about letting people know that "we're here if you need help."